iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandmill Bandit

Today turned out real well!

Rafters, chinking, door and window jams next. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

69bronco

Looks good! What size did you saw your logs? Are they green?

barbender

A heck of a day! It's great to get that kind of progress!👍
Too many irons in the fire

LeeB

May be a dumb question, but why are log structures not dead stacked? Is this to allow for less than perfect logs? 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Bandmill Bandit

The logs are 6"X 9". The trees went down during a late summer storm in 16 so have been through 2 winters. They were sawed in August and dry stacked on a very windy hill. Testing for moisture says they are at 12% to 14%. The builder says that is about dry for this region.  The joints are cut to allow one inch chinking/insulation space. That how the owner wanted them after talking to the people at the log dovetail jig website.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Bandmill Bandit

Took out 1 row of logs and got the conner posts installed.

Bandmill Bandit

Progress!

Purlins, insulation and roof metal are next.

PAmizerman

Looking good!

Looks like it's going to be a race against the snow smiley_horserider :snowball:
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Bandmill Bandit

It is certainly looking that way. Hopping to have the tin on by the weekend.

rjwoelk

How did they do the mid span dovetail?
We rigged a second jig that followed the main jig to make bread cuts then cleaned them out and smoothed it all off with a slick work very well.
For that cery reason we gad a second set of top cants incase we screwed up the first ones. :D
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Bandmill Bandit

Hi RJ. Yup sounds like we did pretty much the same thing. It worked very well. Was a bit fiddly but worked good. We have an extra log in case of screw ups but so far every thing has worked very well. 

rjwoelk

we did the same with our cabin.

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Bandmill Bandit

Here is a few pics of the Nordic Spa at the Kananskis Lodge that I posted the milling for in post #163. These pic swere taken by my son when he and his wife went out there for a day trip. I will get a few more pictures when i am out there myself after christmas. 
<br

Peter Drouin

Very nice, Bandmill Bandit, Are you the sawer here that uses carbide blades??
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

hersnsh#590

Peter:  Good to see you back.

Dale
TK 1600, small sugaring operation, a bench full of J'reds, a tired ford 1710, new to us JD 5065e, 2 Honda 4 whlrs, a Can-Am 580 on tracks, and a very understanding wife.

PAmizerman

Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

YellowHammer

@PA_Walnut uses carbides and loves them.  Says they cut better than anything he's used.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Oliver05262

Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

We need some pictures of the log trucks coming in
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

PA_Walnut

Quote from: YellowHammer on March 04, 2019, 09:44:06 PM@PA_Walnut uses carbides and loves them.  Says they cut better than anything he's used.

Yes indeed! Just ordered another box of carbides. All others pale in comparison.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Peter Drouin

I have a box of carbides coming. I go though cbn wheels and blades fast cutting frozen hemlock. then all the sharpening.
Two towns over from me is a guy that sharpens saw blades. Carbides blades too. And I think he can retip it if I hit something
 7s x 45 11/4  I wanted 7turbox 55. Woodmizer doesn't make that size.

So will see how rugged they are.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bruno I think I have one coming today,  Have to get logs in before the road bans go up.  
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

69bronco

newoodguy78

Good to see you here Peter.  smiley_wavy smiley_wavy smiley_wavy smiley_wavy

ktm250rider

Quote from: Peter Drouin on March 05, 2019, 06:35:33 AM
Two towns over from me is a guy that sharpens saw blades. Carbides blades too. And I think he can retip it if I hit something

can you share his info....Im just south of you in Canterbury.

Thank You Sponsors!