iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What livestock do you have?

Started by Okrafarmer, August 28, 2010, 10:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Piston on October 15, 2010, 07:35:23 AM
Alright I'm not allowed to post here because I don't have any livestock, but I want to someday so does that count?  I want to start off with a couple goats and some chickens, then go from there.

By the way, can we get some pics here please!  ;D
48 posts and not one picture, I'm disappointed in you guys  :D

Sorry, I'll try to work on that.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WildDog

Nicky has 40 Buff Orphington chicks coming out of the incubator tomorrow :(

In the paddock there is 25 cows, Murray Greys and Angus with a Santa Gertrudis Bull, 14 yearling steers, 500 Boer Goats and a couple of Maremma Guard dogs.

We have 250 does 3 weeks into kidding and the cold wet weather is playing havoc with them, the twinning does suffering Preg Toxemia and a lot of miss mothering going on. Last night was our worst night yet with a sheep graziers alert issued, wind gusts to 110 km/hr on the back of 65 mm of cold rain. This year fortunately the girls are in a 100 acre paddock that has really good shelter trees.

The trials and tribulations of Livestock ownership,"hard to live with em, can't live without em"

Rob 
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

tyb525

We have about 20 chickens. Two roosters. They are mixed variety, they all came from the eggs of our last generation of chickens. We get a dozen a day on good days.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

isawlogs

Piston .. man ya don't need no permission from anyone to post on here, having livestock or not got nothing to do with it. You could be the first to post a pic of what you want to have  ;D :D

I will try and get some pics of the critters over the weekend  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Piston

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Okrafarmer

Are those both goats, Piston? The one on the right looks like a sheep. The one on the left definitely has a goat tail, and no head. I've seen a lot of strange goats, but never a live one with no head.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Piston

:D :D

Actually I have no idea.  I took that pic at my favorite dairy farm.  I was just posting it to add a little color to this thread.

Here is one of my absolute favorite goat pictures I've taken, I laugh every time I look at it:  :D

:D :D :D

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Okrafarmer

Okrafarmer

Qweaver

On our 26 acre family plot we have 5 families and between us we have four goats, five horses, five geese, 20 +or- chickens, three dogs, three cats and a partridge in a pear tree. All pets.  All we eat are eggs.  We also have many skunks, possums, ground hogs, foxes, deer, squirrels, etc.  ::)
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Okrafarmer

Here the piggies are today. Happy to see me so they can get food.

Here is Patrick the Great, checking out my scrap metal pile.

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: isawlogs on October 13, 2010, 12:14:46 AM

Also , today I found out that goats can swim.  ;)   One of the kids fell into the pool and made it to the steps and got out .

On the last "training sesion" with "Turd" the pack goat we took on river crossings. The first attempt looked more like and old miner with a stuborn mule (both of their butts just off the ground) But the goat was no match for his trainer and he was soon enjoying swimming in the river with the kids. At one point the six legged goat was crossing the river when he dunked his rider face first in the water :D
This goat is a good swimmer and seems to enjoy the water.

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

red oaks lumber

livestock hmmm.. 65- bison,  43 angus cows with calves, 21 angus stockers, 3 angus breeding bulls, 17 cross bred sows. i finish out about 200 butcher hogs a year. 103 laying hens 50 meat birds
3 mini horses  7 dwarf goats, and a partridge in the pair tree :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Red Good

4 minature donkeys with a jenny about to drop another one and a calf that we bottlefed from a day old , now about 450 lbs . Had a half dozen chickens but something killed them all one night . Would love to have the land for 40 or 50 head of cows but my neighbor is being stubborn . 
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

Peter Drouin

Quote from: red oaks lumber on June 10, 2014, 10:22:32 PM
livestock hmmm.. 65- bison,  43 angus cows with calves, 21 angus stockers, 3 angus breeding bulls, 17 cross bred sows. i finish out about 200 butcher hogs a year. 103 laying hens 50 meat birds
3 mini horses  7 dwarf goats, and a partridge in the pair tree :D

Did you lose a lot over the winter with the cold?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

red oaks lumber

i was very fortunate, no loses acured :) the only lose was the money i spent buying alot of extra feed just to keep the energy intake high to combat the extened extreme cold.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

hardtailjohn

Well...right now we're at 8 Clydesdales on the ground, 1 Percheron, 3 quarter horses, and about 50 pair of black Angus cows, 23 black Angus heifers and 2 bulls.  I say "8 Clydesdales on the ground" because we have a baby or 2 on the way at this time.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

sandhills

You have some beautiful horses John, my daughter, nieces, and nephew had their first horse show a few weeks ago in a neighboring town.  We pulled in with our old 20' stock trailer full of $500 horses and I looked at my wife and said what the heck are we doing here (she used to be the 4H leader), she said it's good experience for the kids and their horses, all I said back was the first time I see any of you clipping fake hair onto our horses I quit  :D.  They have a hometown show today and we unloaded at 7, most of the trailers there were hauling cattle yesterday  ;D, I feel a little better about this one.

hardtailjohn

Hey, it's not the equipment, nor the paint...but how much fun you have!!  I feel the same way you do, Sandhills! Our trailer needs paint and so does the '94 Dodge that drags it along!   Best example I ever saw of that is when I got to go to the National Horse Show at Madison Square Gardens.... outside are all these awesome stainless steel, nice new rigs and trailers and such...by now I'm feeling pretty out of place...then I spy a '72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 (that lime green they had then), and an old 2 horse Miley trailer (powder blue, of course) both accentuated with rust, with Wyoming plates..... my kind of rig! haha   I got to talk with the guy inside...his daughter was riding... we had a blast and decided that our Tony Lama's were probably the ONLY ones there that had actually stepped in cow crap! hahha
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Red Elm

90 some spanish meat goat nannies w appx 135 kids at their side.75 Katahdin ewes w around 50 lambs yet to be weaned. 4 Akbash guard dogs. 2 Pyrenees guard dogs. Three kelpies and a blue heeler.

Corley5

Just dogs.  We've got a Siberian Shepherd, a Jack-A-Bea, a Chi-Weenie, a Cocker Spaniel, and a Pug.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Okrafarmer

Just chooks and chicks right now. We hatched 23 chicks out this spring-- our first time to incubate. Fun, fun!

Woodboogah

3 white face, 1 Scotish highlander, 4 cross bred sheep, whole lot of chickens, mostly NH reds, sometimes meat birds and pigs not at the moment though two goats.  We eat most of them, sell some or trade too. 
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

redprospector

My wife has a cat. Does that count?  :D
We try to keep the freezer full of Elk, and deer, and occasionally buy a 1/2 beef.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Farmerjw

5 feeder calves for freezer beef.
14 piglets for freezer pork.
2 hens, 1 tom Royal Palm turkeys.
2 saddle horses, 1 mule (dual purpose), 1 draft cross and a team of Norwegian Fjords.  We farm with our teams.
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Thank You Sponsors!