iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skiddertire, can i use ag tires?

Started by teakwood, June 09, 2017, 08:08:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teakwood

I blew a 23.1-26 tire on my 540A skidder.  Where do they sell the cheapest skidder tires?  I just work one month per year with the skidder and its in plantation wood, i rarely dirve ower a stump or stone.  Can i use ag tires? or is there something between the forestry and Agricola tires?
I really can't spend 5k on two new firestone tires
just the shipping to costa rica will be 1000$ :(

Thanks for the help
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

ohiowoodchuck

I'd say you could. My front tires are ag tires off a combine. The ply rating isn't as high but like you said if you keep it off the stumps and rocks it should be fine. That's just my opinion but I'm new to this. My skidder is a 440b
Education is the best defense against the media.

BargeMonkey

I had 2x ag 18.4x26 on my 440D on the front for yrs, rock finally did one in. For what your doing I wouldn't sweat it at all.

treeslayer2003

sure, i am runnig one now. get 12 ply though, the 8 ply won't stand it.

Riwaka

Might have BKT tires in country with Importadora Ad Nat S.A.  BKT have 10 types of 23.1 - 26 size listed 10 ply to 16 ply.
https://www.bkt-tires.com/en/pattern/fs-216

teakwood

Thanks for all the replys

Yes we have bkt, they have 18.4-26 forestry tires in stock but won't import 23s. they have lots of different 23s ag tires from 10-18plys but a 12ply ag tire is 1250$ :o. for that price i just spend a little more and buy a cheap forestry tire in the states.

treeslayer2003

lol, i thought you meant used. i have got some nearly new 28s off blown up combines. one actually had a new forestry tire on it.

AlexHart

Like Barge kind of hinted at there if you go that route put it on the front.   Winching in a big load might be enough to buckle it on the back.   On the front though I would speculate it would last indefinitely if your really not running over rocks and such like I'm used to here in New England.   

That'd be my 2 cents.   On the front I would bet you'd be fine.   

On a related issue I'm curious about though.   Are there ag tractors that run a 23.1x26 tire?   I'm no expert farmer guy..  or expert anything really but off the top of my head I wouldn't picture that size tire being a normal ag-thing.   Maybe on a huge spreader?   

treeslayer2003

combines used to run 23 and 28s. most run 30.5 size now days. good used tires will soon be non existent. i did see a set of nearly new 23s on sprayer rims at a sale, but i was to late. think they went around 12-1500 for the 4. still had teats on um, 12 ply.
i agree, i run these on the front only.

teakwood

How much is a ag tire in the US and where can i buy them?

BargeMonkey

Quote from: teakwood on June 13, 2017, 08:06:41 AM
How much is a ag tire in the US and where can i buy them?
I can call tomorrow and find out what my tire guy is getting and what he has. I assume the cost to ship a tire is the same ?

teakwood

Thanks Eric

The shipping will be the same amount from Miami to Costa Rica for a ag or forestry tire but the shipping from NY to Miami  would be high. I will have to search around Florida, Georgia, Carolina so i can minimize internal shipping.

Of course all depends on the tire purchase price. 

Did the tires came down in price?? Look what i found. Was a firestone forestry 2500$ a year ago???

http://www.petestirestore.com/231x26-Firestone-Forestry-Special-Tire-With-CRC-LS-2-14-Ply-TT_p_6246.html

BargeMonkey

Go to "machinerytrader".com, go to the bottom of the page and look on "tires" in the parts section, go to page #21 and there is 6-8 23.1 tires listed, both new and used, nice set of Firestones for decent money in Florida right now. 👍

teakwood

I'm getting a quote on BKT forestry tires in a few days.

the Tr-135 i can get in 18plys for 1050$ each here from a dealer. it was recommended from the seller ::) ???, but it seams to me they may be to weak.

https://www.bkt-tires.com/en/pattern/tr-135

Would you put 2 new tires in the front (where the skidder is alot heavier) or in the back? i don't haul very big loads. my old tires are Firestone forestry's  at 50% but pretty ruff, lots of cuts on the sides and they are 17 years old.

Another question: the ag tires seems to be tubeless? will they hold air? my rims are pretty ruff too, of course i will clean the rims in the inside

treeslayer2003

ag tires on the front if you have a choice. they will hold air tubeless if you clean the rim well at the beads, but slivers will get into the bead and cause leaks.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

leeroyjd

teakwood

ether for what?

Can i put tubes in a tubeless tire? just to make sure

thecfarm

As soon as I have trouble with a tubeless tire on my tractor a tube goes in. Tractor tires should not be tubeless.  ::) Maybe if you put 100 hours a year on it,tubeless is fine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

teakwood

ok, thanks

i will definitely put tubes in

mike_belben

Quote from: teakwood on November 03, 2017, 08:08:45 AM
ether for what?

Reseating the tire onto the bead after it leaks down over the weekend. 
Praise The Lord

teakwood

and if i'm buying forestry's?  put them on the back or front?

treeslayer2003

i always try and run real skidder tires on back if i only have two, combine tires on front.
note about tubes, i have had terrible luck with combine tubes splitting. if you can try to get natural rubber tubes.

teakwood

what does combine tires mean?

i am certain that such tubes i would have to order from the US.
here i can just get normal ag tubes for around 100$. will they hold? or should i buy really forestry tubes?

mills

After a couple of hard learned lessons, I had to go with forestry tubes.  :(

Thank You Sponsors!