iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skiddertire, can i use ag tires?

Started by teakwood, June 09, 2017, 08:08:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treeslayer2003

Quote from: teakwood on November 04, 2017, 12:25:19 PM
what does combine tires mean?

i am certain that such tubes i would have to order from the US.
here i can just get normal ag tubes for around 100$. will they hold? or should i buy really forestry tubes?
combine/ag tubes are not natural rubber......i'm not sure what they are made of but they are thin and don't seem to last long in the woods. its better than nothing in a pinch. natural rubber are thick and last a long time. i think it has to do with the amount of flexing our tires go through. natural rubber are twice as much and hard to find.

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Stephen Alford

Here at least , ag are 8 &10 ply combine 12 and forestry specials 16.  The old rims caused ware holes in the tubes from rust etc. tried cleaning rims only temporary help. The natural rubber tubes are about 300. Combine tires run 1000. To save the tube when a flat occurred in the woods I changed it right there. The combine tires were much easier to do by yourself than the forestry specials. Need spoons 2  long and one short . a large jar of vasiline  for tire lip and rim . Had to lug an air pig. Biggest issue with the combine tires were punchures in the side. Usually from me not cutting square. Found the ag tires did not work for me.  The clearing saw seemed to end the punchure problem. With the net forestry tires seem to be passing through middle men making them more expensive.  Tires or lack thereof played a part in selling my skidder. Did not mind the tire change in the summer but in deep snow it was a pita.  Good luck with what you decide.  Should add forestry tires with natural rubber tubes installed about 2500 each.  Skidder was 38 years old and still working.
logon

Peter Drouin

A lot of money for tires [ the good ones] would have less down time than the cheap ones.
For me, I'd go with the 16 ply forestry and they would last for years, Chained up would last even longer.
It's what the guys I buy logs from are doing.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!