iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How much wood have you used in your classic(4030,5036,6048) not the e-classic

Started by cb6048, February 12, 2009, 07:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cb6048

I'm trying to get a feel for what everyone else is using for wood so far this year. This is my first year with the 6048, my neighbor has the e-classic that he just got this year as well, we got to swapping stories over a couple cold ones yesterday and it seems we are neck and neck on wood consumption. We each have burned 6-6.5 cord so far since late October-Early November. (both stoves are heating 2500sqft)During that time the only thing I have had to do is use ashtrol and removed one wheel barrel of ash, he on the other hand cleans his weekly(in the back or something).

I would like to hear from other classic users to see how you guys are doing on wood consumption and ash removal.
I believe the e-classic and the classic stoves are very close.
when hell freezes over I'll snowmobile there too

terra8186

I typically go through 25-30 cords of wood per year.  I burn mostly cottonwood and red maple.  I burned some ash for a couple of weeks and my wood consumption went way down.  I am probably at 17 cords so far this year.  I heat 6,000 square feet of air space (basement, first floor, and second floor).  Out of the 17 cords, I would imagine that 10 have went to heating my house and the other 7 have went to heat my barns (3400 ft2) to 35 F (just prevent from freezing).

I started burning in Oct and removed ash 4 times this year:  The first of December, Around Christmas, and twice in January.  My dealer told me not to remove the ash very often because it retains the heat.  I didnt know weather to believe him or not, but it is definitely true.  The less ash you have at the bottom the more wood you burn.  When I do clean it, I take it out in a wheel barrel load for a weight of 200 lbs.  I spread it on my field for a good source of potash fertilizer.

I am so glad I don't have an e-classic.  I need to take some pictures of my wood piles.  I have logs that are 22" diameter by 1' wide.  I have logs that 4 foot long 4-8" diameter.  I don't split anything.  I just make sure when I cut the wood that I can pick it up or can roll it into the burner.

SwampDonkey

That's a lot of wood to heat a house. Of course I'm comparing to an indoor furnace in a basement. My house is around 2800 ft2, basement, first floor, second, excluding two huge attics, attached shed, small storage and garage area. I burn around 7.5 cords from late September to May. Your consumption of wood wouldn't be too bad if your burning mill stabs off your mill or it's your own wood that you cut off the woodlot. But to buy that much wood and the handling of it would be more costly than stove oil unless you can buy it dirt cheap. The neighbors here buy all their wood except some cedar slabs to get the green stuff to burn and they bought 30 cords from my cousin. They don't heat the green house until late march. That's a lot of expense to heat a house similar to mine. I joke, that it must be big profits tending fires, they do nothing for 6 months of the year with a farm to pay for. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

OneWithWood

When we heated with all wood and no bio diesel we went through 20 cords per year of oak, maple, hickory in our 6048.  We heat our 2500sqft house, an 324sqft greenhouse, and a 2880sqft greenhouse.  Heating the greenhouses is akin to heating the great outdoors  :D   Also my wife insists on using the draft inducer non-stop.  I know better than to argue-I jsut cut the wood.  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D

I think the wood alone is the reason the rest of the family had to move to Ontario to work.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Polly

we got geothermal temp drops below 20 degrees we use to conserve electric   wood stove in basement  fire place insert upstairs our elec was off a few days ago for 4 days we probly use 10 or 12 cord  of wood i try to use timber that has fallen down or scrap from a little woodmizer we have we probly would use more wood if i wasnt to lazy to cut it  ::) ::) :)

Bart May

CB6048,
That's a question that doesn't take into account allot of  variables. I have a 6048. I live in Virginia. My house is 3,000sqft (no insulation and lots of single pane windows).
For the year I'm currently at 12 chords of mostly hardwood.  Last year before buying, I had to think long and hard deciding between the eclassic and a 6048.
The 6048 is a great stove and I love mine. For me the ROI is 22months. I told me friends, "I need cheap heat and lots of it".

tonto

I have a 5036 and have used about 4.5-5 cords of mostly ash and oak since Nov 1. Upstate NY and have had some below zero days, 1200 sq ft house but have the old style cast iron radiators that hold heat for a while. With the ash wood I was having a problem with a huge bed of coals - like 8-10 inches. Not much room for wood left. Switched to some dead oak that has down for about 10 years. Wow, this stuff burns down to about an inch or two of powder and lasts longer that the ash wood. When ever I go out at 8 or 9 o'clock at night to fill the stove it seems very cold, but then I hear my neighbors oil burner kick on, it doesn't seem so cold then. This has to be one of the best investments we have ever made. 
Stihl MS441 & Husqvarna 562XP. CB5036 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2. Don't spend nearly enough time in the woods.

SwampDonkey

Yeah ash won't burn as long as hard maple or beech either. I don't want to see it or red maple or elm in my wood pile when I'm purchasing it. If I cut it myself, fine I'd cut 9 cord instead of 7.

cb6048

I see a lot of different woods being used. My wood I cut was mostly red oak but at this point I have about 1-2 cord left so I have been riding my 4wheeler with a trailer around my woods collecting what I call standing dead wood this stuff burns great.

Bart May
  I also looked at both the 6048 & e-classic, like I've said on past posts I thought that e-classic had to way many things that could go wrong with it(and from lurking around this site I was right) but the 6048 was a simple design, cb's bread and butter. I was told by one dealer(I didn't buy my stove there) that the e-classic would burn 2/3"s LESS wood than the 6048! I thought then that was crap and I now know that is total b.s. Buying the 6048 was the best decision I made. Extremely happy with this stove. Zero maintenance, easily 24-32hour burn time.

Its looking like my total wood consumption for the year is going to be between 8-10 cord, right on mark with what my dealer said, and we've had a colder that normal winter.

leeallen

cb6048

I will trade you my eclassic for your 6048 AND I'll throw in a cord of Red Oak.

cb6048

Quote from: leeallen on February 13, 2009, 07:47:32 AM
cb6048

I will trade you my eclassic for your 6048 AND I'll throw in a cord of Red Oak.
:D I won't take two e-classics for it!.......Seriously my neighbor likes his but he says it high maintenance and isn't quite as efficient as there saying. Hell there now giving $2600.00 rebates on the E-classic with 25' of thermopex pipe! There's a reason why: informed people are shying away from these.

leeallen

Maintenance- that is an understatment.
The amount of wood it burns is similiar to an old classic from what I can gather

DR_Buck

I burn a lot in my CL-6048 !  It's a mix.   I heat a 4200 sqft farm house.  If I can pick it and it fits throught the door, it gets burned no matter what species it is.   I add wood once a day, usually in the evenings.   The book is still out on my ROI.   The house was previously heated witha heat pump and electric baseboard.   The January electric bill was down $600 from last year.  8)    So far the savings in electric cost this year have exceeded $1500.   Wood is free. 
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

SwampDonkey

Wow Doc, that's a lot of power. I don't spend that much on power for an entire year, January's bill was $102 bucks, 664 kwh that includes $27 recurring and tax. The DanG phone bill costs more than power in the summer with this darn dialup internet.  :-X

Mom's on heat pump too, but for the whole house including heat it's $300-350 a month for her in winter.

DaveKent

Bear with me, first posting here.  I'm also a new dealer for Greenwood furnaces and using my new Aspen 175 outdoor wood furnace for the first year.  I had 12 cords cut and split and ready to go when I fired her up for the first and only time in mid-October.  So far we have used around 5.5 cords of wood here in Maine.  The house is around 2500 sq. ft.  This unit is fairly new on the market and has done all that was promised.  One of the nice things about this unit is it is only having to heat up 75 gallons of water, not 400 gallons like some other units out there, taking less time and less wood.  It's extremely well insulated.  Next year I'm hoping to double the square footage when I get heat into another building just about the same size as the house.  If you have any questions about Aspen's, please feel free to drop me an email sending it to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum.Going to the expo in Bangor? Here's the thread.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,35903.0.html

Could go as a dealer showing off the Aspen.Glad it's working good for you.That wood usage sounds good.I know it's less than what I would use for the same space.I have a Heatmor,that will take a 4 foot stick.Hope to have a working garage someday.Don't look good now the way things are.Glad I bought it when I did.I have heat in the wife's garage,hot water and the hot tub.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!