iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

8 gallons of trouble

Started by etat, July 15, 2004, 04:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etat

I thought a long time about what color to paint the drywall in the living room.  An interior paint color picker outer and imagining what it's a gonna look like is all beyond me.  I'm pretty fair at imaging wood, but paint color is way beyond my talents when you get away from the basics.  So one day last week me and the wife drove over to the Stroud house, (that great big monster house we roofed here awhile back).  I figured they had enough money to hire a interior decorator that knew about paint and I wanted to see what colors they was using, and maybe steal some of their idees.  

We found one room painted that we liked the color on for our living room, and another color for our kitchen.  The living room color was kind of a beige green gold not exactly some kind of color but in a large room it looked good and looked like it would compliment our woodwork.  There was some kind of greenish not exactly some kine of color we decided to use for our kitchen.  So we brought home some of the paint can lids with the color painted on and decided to carry them and get them matched with Valspar paint at Lowes.  

The paint they mixed was HORRIBLE, and no where near the color it was supposed to be.  We gave it the benefit of the doubt, opened one of each of the cans and tried a test spot.  It DID NOT IMPROVE ANY.  My wife carried it back to Lowes last night with fire in her eyes.  

I don't know what all she said but they remixed some more paint and gave her a discount of 30 dollars for all her trouble.  

The second batch they got right.  They said the guy used the wrong base for the first batch.  Probably a good thing they made it right cause she said if they didn't they was gonna be wearing that paint. :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

isawlogs

Ck...
 I'm all with you on that paint choosing thingy... I stay way far from that ... theres no way she's going to get me on paint choosing detail  no way.... Ain't geting me on the brush or roller ether no way  .... We get along to good for me to go there ....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Larry

Gotta really stick up for Lowes paint department.  Just take the time to find out the name of the manager and when he is working.  The part timers sometimes make a few mistakes.

The Valspar is the best I have found for exterior.  For interior paint I have been using Olympic which is a little cheaper and seems to last just as long.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

etat

Larry, Well, I really can't complain after the fact.  Not only did they make it right, they gave me a refund too.  Twas the wife what was blowin her top.  No way would I have went into that store with her! ;D  And you're right, she said it was a young guy that mixed the paint the first time, most probably a part timer.  :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Rocky_J

Hah! The last time I painted the interior of my house was about 5 years ago (It's almost due again). I know nothing about colors so I just used antique white (a little softer than plain white, less glare). Next time I'm gettin' my sister over here to help figure out what colors I need, cause the house needs some color but I'm not qualified to pick it.

Tom

I'm married to an Interior Designer wannabe.  She's good and has been asked to design many of her friends houses as well as her family's.   She has no qualms with using real, honest to goodness colors like lavender lime aqua and colors of which I don't know their name.  Scares the B-whillikers outa me.  

She will paint a room on a whim.  I never know what color to expect when I get home.  She does a lot of that fau painting and will apply dry wall mud with no thought at all.  Our living room is (she says) Mauve with white feather duster painting (strokes) all over it.  It looks real good but I would have never thought to do it.

When she gets that look in her eye, I run for the hills. "Bye Hon.  I got someplace to be" :D

etat

Well Tom, don't take this the wrong way but I shore would like to borrow your wife for a few days! :)  She could come over here and help the wife figgure all this out.  In the meantime I could vamoose and go hide out somewhere.  I sure would love to head for them there hills and come back and all this was done!!!! :)

beetle

Tom...I  chuckled reading your post. All my wife has to say is " I was thinking " and I am half way to the Barn by the time the screen door makes that thump, and her jaw is still flapping.

Thank the one above for things we have to do outside the house.
Too many hobbies...not enough time.

SwampDonkey

A few years ago the latest fad was brick stucko on the kitchen walls. Well, that was a mistake in a kitchen, hard to keep clean. So I digs out the thin claw bar and the hammer and I removed it was the walls around the flu, and the cupboards. Was quite a job, but I stuck it out. I then patched up the underlying gyprock, which I didn't damage hardly at all.  Then I put the undercoating for gyprock on, let it dry. And then I applied a couple coats of antique green by dutch boy. Its not a horrible, draw your eyes outta your head, green and its not real dark green either. I like it, goes well with the old house. I put a new window in the kitchen at the same time and painted the window moulding white. The paint was nice to work with, and I hate painting. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Quartlow

I pick colors, for equipment Like JD green, Oliver Green, Case power Red. ;D :D :D

I'm like others the wife starts talking and I'm on my way to woodshop LOL
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Thank You Sponsors!