iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where is the snow?

Started by moosehunter, January 19, 2006, 04:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I had sun and heat in the 80's today.  :)

Kevin

That must be really painful when it dips down into the eighties, eh?  :D

SwampDonkey

I got knocked out of commission for 5 hours from a power outage. Wind ~
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Minnesota_boy

It looks like those who want to snowmobile can come up this way now.  We got 9" today to go on top of the 3 that dropped Wednesday and Thursday.  That makes 12" of new powder for you all to play in.  8)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Deadwood

Yesterday the weatherman here kept saying we were going to get flurries. It must have been some big flakes because by 3 pm we got 5 inches of snow. Not a lot, not really enough to go sledding on, but no one was really expecting anything so it was a treat. Still I guess that makes up for the big blizzard they predicted a few weeks ago. They claimed 15 inches and we only got 3.

For all of you that hate snow, you can thank me. I knew last fall when I bought a new sled we wouldn't get any snow this year. Last year at this time I had over 3000 miles on...this year only a 1,000.

crtreedude

So, how did I end up here anyway?

thecfarm

Deadwood,I'm about an hour from you and I cut wood through the so called snow storm.We might of got 1 inch and it's all gone now.You can have it.Wife just started up the greenhose.Spring is close.You will probaly get a chance to ride your sled in March.This id when we got all our snow last year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

crtreedude

Wait one DanG minute there - I have snow! I think Jeff just got his wish. I go an post something, and all of a sudden, I have a snow storm...

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

crtreedude

Perhaps, sometimes when you are fishing lake Arenal you get ash from the volcano - I kid you not.  :o

blueox

We found it!! Its about 3 hours North of Quebec City, the cottage we stayed at was in a town called Biencourt, this is near Rimouski. We rode 170 miles on Monday March 13, the trails were incredible. They are like little mini highways up there. They groom the trails perfectly, the lakes are still thick with ice. There are some serious snowmobiling going on up there, we are going back next year ....we had a blast.

With out exageration, I bet we saw 100 deer thru-out our 170 mile journey....When we drove home thru Drummondville QC the deer were grazing like herds of cattle. Hundreds of them....it was unbelievable! (come hunting season, you won't see one....)

DOT Highway Approved Log Load Trailers. For your ON Road Multi-Purpose Use

SwampDonkey

Well you were certainly in the right country for snow. They have gotten snow up there over 8 feet some winters. Have to tunnel in the snow to the house and make a snow bank garage for the car some years. :D But, down here in NB we don't have much. But, today I walked in a pasture to get to some thinning and it was cover deer dung and I seen 6 deer just before I turned into that lot. I seen where the deer were giving the sugar maple regen a hammering this winter.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

I left my snowthrower with a buddy when I moved. Sounds like he is getting practice with it, almost 10" of snow fell in central Alberta last Saturday.  :D Without it though, the farmers would be wasting their time planting this year..
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

solodan

Well, we have recieved over 10 feet of snow in the last 3 weeks.
It has warmed up alot in the last few days and is melting quick at the lower elevations. Sledding should be good in the high country through the end of june. Some years in the high country we can recieve up to 1200" of snow. Yes, that is right, it was not a typo, that is 100 feet.

SwampDonkey

Geesh, if your getting that much snow there must be glaciers. Up in the coast mountains in BC there are areas of glacier accumulations, but they are mostly receding.

solodan

Yeah, we have glaciers in the Sierra but studies are showing that they are retreating very rapidly due to warming. However they say that the glaciers on Mt Shasta are growing, but also due to warming. I know two guys that left today for a chopper drop off in the backcountry. They will ski for 4 days back to where they can be picked up by a 4 wheel drive vehicle. Along the way they measure the water content in the snow pack. My guess will be that the snow is not the deepest we have seen,  maybe 10 to 20 feet, but the water content should be very high this year. California depends largly on this data to plan for water usage over the next year.

pappy

Still got left over drifts of the stuff  ::)

We could always have a snowball fight  ;D

or chunks for the cooler  smiley_beertoast
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

SwampDonkey

People are farmimg here now (not beside me), and the ground is powder dry on the good farmland. I'm starting up my thinning crew May 1st.

solodan

It's been raining here, and still snowing in the high country. A few piles left from the plows at my place, and still 15+ feet on the ground above 6500'.
Backcountry skiiing and snowmobiling should be good well into july, but I really would like some sunshine, and warm weather.

Thank You Sponsors!