iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Here's one way to knock down a giant!

Started by sawmill_john, March 03, 2004, 09:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawmill_john

Hey guys here are a few pictures that steve (seesaw) finally brought back form northern California where he has been working on and off for the last several months,  these pictures are of just portions of the logs that he is salvaging.  Most of the chunks weight in at around 30,000 lbs or less.  Use his Dodge truck in the back ground as a referance, is got 36" mud tires and an ample lift kit.

This piece was about 12' wide and just under 6' tall.

Some of the pieces are ugly, but he gets lots of real nice boards out.

This one was at about the limit of his 7' tall stands, don't look at the cooler/step stool, thats not recomended, but you know how stuff like that goes, you have to improvise some times.  
Steve has a special set-up we put togather, He has 7' of vertical travel and 16' of horizontal travel, from what he says there has been a few times when he still had to do some trimming with the chain saw.

john

BW_Williams

Great pics John, now if we could get Frank to figure out how to post pics,  you'd be busier than a one legged man.........BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

shopteacher

What a setup. Those are really some big pieces of celulose you guys are cutting. Looks like some nice boards in the pile.
Thanks for the pics its nice to see what other folks are up to.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Tom

Wow, what a log!

I want to hear a little bit about where the logs came from and how he got them out........... and how he got them home.  That must have been a project for the dedicated.  Do you have any closer ups of the logs and the boards?  Where were these logs destined if youl hadn't gotten them?

Holy Cow!  It doesn't look like that rascal is sitting on the ground either.  How did you get it up on the rails?

Frank_Pender

Tom, you have some good questions.  The mill is basicallily on the ground.  What makes it look like it is up in the air is the build up of sawdust from the sawings.  The bunks are up about a foot or so, mounted on wide Redwood timbers.  As Sawmill John indicated, they built a special unit to handle these stumps of Redwood.  At 30,000 lbs. there is not much need to dog the logs in, until you have gotten the way down in size.  He sure is making silk purses from a porky's ear. 8)  I am not sure of how they are handling the stumps, but would strongly suspect that they have a very adequate shovel unit of some sort.
Frank Pender

Buzz-sawyer

So were these really old pieces laying around for free from old groth cutting 100 or so years ago?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

oakiemac

And I thougth that 34" Red Oak I sawed the other day was big! ;D

That a Redwood log, John?
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Frank_Pender

From what I understand they are stumpts that are being cut closer to the ground.  They were originally sawed,using a springboard system, several feet off of the ground.  
Frank Pender

sawmill_john

To answer a few of the questions, the wood is Coastal Redwood that is slavaged from basically the old rotting stumps that were logged off in the past.  Steve did tell me that they ran across two complete trees that were left behind for what ever reason, and over the years were grown over by vegitation, they will be turned into some spectacular boards.  They have some really big equipment including big track hoes, bucket loaders and skidders.  I'll try to get steve to get some more pictures.

John

sawmill_john

Thank You Sponsors!