iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Free score - transfer tank

Started by Busysawyer, April 29, 2018, 10:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busysawyer

So I've been helping the farmer next door here and there for a little while. I was over there yesterday talking to him about how we should go about cleaning up one of his barns that collapsed. I noticed an old transfer tank sitting inside part of the barn that was still standing and asked if he would sell it. He told me that he hasn't used it in years and to just take it. Tried to pay him a little for it but he wasn't having that. It was fitted with a hand crank pump, he said the 12volt pump had seized up so he put the hand cranker on it. So I took the tank and grabbed the seized pump as well. Got home took the 12volt pump apart. Impellers looked great but wouldn't turn. Took apart the electric motor,  cleaned all the corrosion and gunk out of it. Then greased it a little with the stuff I use for my old Baldor 3 phase air compressor. Low and behold it runs like new. Took me all of 25 minutes. The tank was empty so I filled a few times with water and dawn dish soap and pumped her out. Surprisingly it was pretty darn clean.  She's a bit rusty on the outside but that's nothing a sanding pad and a few rattle cans can't fix. Pumped over 300 gallons of water though it and it seems to be nice and clean and pumping good. So now I have a 110 gallon transfer tank,  no more running cans of diesel for me. Oh happy day
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

PAmizerman

The best kind!!
Free and very useful. I've been keeping my eye out for a 12v pump. The telehandler takes quite a bit of cranking to get it filled up :)
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Southside

Might want to run some methanol through the pump and tank to address any residual water from the cleaning process. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

newoodguy78

Nice find, an in line filter might be money well spent towards saving aggravation. I have one on mine and wouldn't be without it 

DDW_OR

Quote from: newoodguy78 on April 30, 2018, 12:31:31 PM
Nice find, an in line filter might be money well spent towards saving aggravation. I have one on mine and wouldn't be without it
a clear goldenrod water separator filter.
I am putting those on ALL of my bulk fuel pumps.
"let the machines do the work"

Busysawyer

Quote from: PAmizerman on April 29, 2018, 11:19:32 PM
The best kind!!
Free and very useful. I've been keeping my eye out for a 12v pump. The telehandler takes quite a bit of cranking to get it filled up :)
He said he made his son crank the pump and it took him a long time to fill the 60 gallon tank in the combine. 
Quote from: Southside logger on April 30, 2018, 08:06:11 AM
Might want to run some methanol through the pump and tank to address any residual water from the cleaning process.

Could you please elaborate on this a bit? When you say methanol is that an additive or something I can get out of the pump at a gas station? How many gallons would you recommend?  What should I do with the methanol water mix that comes out of the tank and pump? Thank you

I planned on adding the screw on type particulate filter that looks like an oil filter. Do you have any reccomendations?

Quote from: DDW_OR on April 30, 2018, 01:57:25 PM

a clear goldenrod water separator filter.
I am putting those on ALL of my bulk fuel pumps.

The tank had this on it. I planned on cleaning it and replacing the filter element and also adding a particulate filter. This golden rod in the picture is just a water separator correct or no?

Southside

Methanol is an alcohol that binds with water to allow it to ignite.  Think dry gas that you get in the winter for your car - only by the gallon.  You might be able to find some at a truck stop or NAPA type store.  I would probably get a couple of gallons, put it in the tank, and run it through the pump, back into the tank a couple of times, then pump it into a container and dispose of it.  If you plan to burn some brush it would help with the fire there.  It would not hurt to pull the guts out of the pump after and dry everything out then flush the same way again with a few gallons of diesel and again use that as brush fuel.  

By all means, stay up on the filters, free fuel tanks are not free when they take out an injector pump.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Busysawyer

Quote from: Southside logger on April 30, 2018, 09:50:44 PM
Methanol is an alcohol that binds with water to allow it to ignite.  Think dry gas that you get in the winter for your car - only by the gallon.  You might be able to find some at a truck stop or NAPA type store.  I would probably get a couple of gallons, put it in the tank, and run it through the pump, back into the tank a couple of times, then pump it into a container and dispose of it.  If you plan to burn some brush it would help with the fire there.  It would not hurt to pull the guts out of the pump after and dry everything out then flush the same way again with a few gallons of diesel and again use that as brush fuel.  

By all means, stay up on the filters, free fuel tanks are not free when they take out an injector pump.  
Will do, thank you for the advice. I was looking at the filter that came with the tank and it is a golden rod 470-5 fuel particulate filter. I'll clean up the housing and grab a new filter for it. Would you or any of you other guys recommend getting a fuel water separator as well? Something like this. If so what is put inline first? Thanks again 

DDW_OR

Quote from: Busybeaver on April 30, 2018, 09:42:47 PM

The tank had this on it. I planned on cleaning it and replacing the filter element and also adding a particulate filter. This golden rod in the picture is just a water separator correct or no?
it is a filter and water absorber. it separates the water by absorbing the water and passing the fuel until it is full of water.
Goldenrod filter is 496-5, UPC 085077566048
the Wix equivalent is 24042, UPC 765809240421
"let the machines do the work"

Busysawyer

Quote from: DDW_OR on May 01, 2018, 02:20:38 AM
Quote from: Busybeaver on April 30, 2018, 09:42:47 PM

it is a filter and water absorber. it separates the water by absorbing the water and passing the fuel until it is full of water.
Goldenrod filter is 496-5, UPC 085077566048
the Wix equivalent is 24042, UPC 765809240421
Thank you.  I think I'm going to let the tank sit in the sun for a couple days to help dry it out then flush with methanol as suggested  , put a new filter in and fill her up.

maple flats

On a tank that has some rust in it, I suggest 3 filters in series, the first a water absorbing filter, then a 20 or 30 micron fuel filter then a 1 micron fuel filter. If the 1 micron slows the pump flow too much, split the flow and use 2 such filters. Dirt in the injectors will be far more of a problem than using the 3 or 4 filters.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

luvmexfood

After all is done I would pump some fuel from the tank in a glass jar and let set a few days. Then look in the bottom for any settling of rust particles. They can be fine. Like flour. We used to store fuel in a 55 gallon barrel. Injector pump went out and it's been about 30 years so can't remember why but did that. Real fine rust particles that got thru 2 fuel filters on the tractor. Ate up the pump.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Busysawyer

Will do.  Thank you for the advice.  With all the suggestions here hopefully I can avoid trouble. 

Busysawyer

I got the the tank up and running today.  Cleaned out, filled up,filters on and painted.  She looks pretty good and more importantly it works. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Southside

Just an FYI transporting more than 119 gallons of diesel triggers all of the DOT Hazmat rules, regulations, and headaches. Not sure how big your tank is but the ratchet strap won't cut the mustard legally. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Busysawyer

Quote from: Southside logger on May 10, 2018, 07:01:34 PM
Just an FYI transporting more than 119 gallons of diesel triggers all of the DOT Hazmat rules, regulations, and headaches. Not sure how big your tank is but the ratchet strap won't cut the mustard legally.
I appreciate the heads up but actually I was aware of that rule. This tank is only 110 gallons. I live 1/4 mile from the gas station and debated strapping it at all. It won't be riding in my truck except for to the corner and back every few weeks. 

Busysawyer

I was curious about the laws regarding the strapping of the tank so I called a friend that owns a railroad salvage company. He drives all around the country hauling all kinds of equipment with a tractor trailer or dually.  He said they have gotten away with strapping tanks for years by doing two things. He said use the appropriate size straps and they have to have the weight limit printed on them. Also they have to be hooked to eyelets that are mounted to the frame not the little bed hooks that are in the truck. He said that he has been questioned and harrased a few times but never ticketed. They drop tanks and switch trucks so they don't want them permanently mounted.  

Southside

Yes, but just like heavy equipment, there is the right way to secure the load and the wrong way, IE - 4 corner tie downs, it's the wrong way that costs money.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Busysawyer

Quote from: Southside logger on May 10, 2018, 10:19:19 PM
Yes, but just like heavy equipment, there is the right way to secure the load and the wrong way, IE - 4 corner tie downs, it's the wrong way that costs money.  
Do you know what the actual law is? He said he wasn't sure but has been told by dot that the tanks were supposed to be permanently mounted to the frame not strapped. I was told by the bobcat dealer that I need to use four binders and secure the bobcat at all corners not run a single chain and binder front and rear.  Also was told that each attachment needs a strap even the one that is mounted to the bobcat. I spent a little time searching for the laws regarding transfer tanks out of curiosity by didn't find anything regarding strapping. 

Southside

The advice your bobcat dealer gave you is right. In addition if the machine articulates you have to lock the center with a rigid bar type lock. 

As far as tanks, I have never heard of straps being OK, but if he is doing 4 corner with rated straps, baffled tank, then they probably are OK as a result. 

Can you get delivery of your fuel? I don't think I would want to be lifting a tank out of my truck and walking it around every couple of weeks. Way too many opportunities for Murphy to show up. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

sandhills

We have one almost identical to it, ours has a divider in the center, dad needed it when he used to farm with gas tractors as well.  We just slide it out onto the bed of one our many junk pickups (sometimes it pays to have a lot of junk  :D) when we aren't using it, works good but we empty it pretty well every time we use it.  It never gets tied down but doesn't go down the highway much either.  You'll like it :)

Thank You Sponsors!