iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Smoked my Skid Steer

Started by DR_Buck, April 17, 2018, 08:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Most slow starters just need the commutator sanded up and the carbon dust scraped out from between the slots.  The commutator is that copper keyboard that the brushes ride on.  If they load up with brush dust, the donkey will stop chasing the carrot on a stick tied to its back.  And light itself on fire sometimes.

My dozer bellypan filled a wheelbarrow.  Taking that down was scary.  
Praise The Lord

DR_Buck

Finally took the time to tear into the skid steer to do a full damage assessment.   :(    As already mentioned, the solenoid is melted and the starter has had some serious heat damage.  I also found 3 seriously burned hydraulic hoses, and the battery cable to starter had most insulation melted off.    I am lucky that it didn't short out and start another fire or toast the battery.

I had to remove the radiator to get the burned hydraulic hoses disconnected and found the cooling fan was missing a blade, so that has to be replaced also.   And, while in there I will replace the alternator belt.   I also dropped both belly pans and removed 4 inches of greasy muck from under the engine and hydraulic components.

Total repair costs: 
      Starter/Solenoid       $142
      3 Hydraulic hoses     $275      
      5 ft Battery Cable      $27
      New hydraulic fluid    $80
      Radiator Fan            $127
      Alternator Belt          $16  
                                   ----------
                                    $667     smiley_cry

Considering that things could have been much worse I'm lucky that it didn't end up costing more or become a total loss.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

DR_Buck

and the saga continues.

I thought I had everything fixed.   Not so.  :(    Everything appears to work and the machine runs fine.  However, the battery does not charge.   Apparently the heat from the fire also toasted the alternator.    New one is on order.

On a side note, while troubleshooting the alternator problem I was hanging halfway upside down into the back of the skid steer and I heard a VERY LOUD pop  :o followed by a loud and long hissing sound.   Almost had to go change my shorts.  ::)        Several months ago I put a plug into one of the tires where a small tree stem poked through the tread.   I don't know how it got through but it did.     Anyway, for whatever reason that plug decided to let loose and blow out.  :o       This time I removed the tire from the rim and repaired it with an internal plug.    I've had real good luck with these in the past.   No way they can come out once installed.   

mike_belben

Nice, whered you find those piloted patch plug jobbies?  

Theres a good chance your alternator is okay and the wires arent.  You need voltage going to the field terminal in order to energize the field and kick it on.  Do you have a charge indicator dummy light?  Does it illuminate when you turn the key on engine off?  That bulb is part of the circuit, if its dead, no field voltage, no charge.  

If you run a jumper from the battery to the field terminal you should get magnetism on the back of the case around the center.  Just feel around with a wrench or whatever for a pull.  If magnetism, it works
Praise The Lord

DR_Buck

Quote from: mike_belben on May 04, 2018, 09:36:27 AM
Nice, whered you find those piloted patch plug jobbies?  

Found them online.    The stems come in different diameters for different hole sizes.  These things work really great.  I've used them on other repairs and never had one fail to seal the leak permanently. You can find the company that makes them here ---  https://blackjacktirerepair.com/patch-plug-combi-units

Theres a good chance your alternator is okay and the wires arent.  You need voltage going to the field terminal in order to energize the field and kick it on.  Do you have a charge indicator dummy light?  Does it illuminate when you turn the key on engine off?  That bulb is part of the circuit, if its dead, no field voltage, no charge.

Wires are all OK.  Bulb does not come on at all but is good.   I have a "no load" battery voltage at the alternator on the field voltage wire.   If I ground it, the battery light comes on.   Therefor, the alternator has an electrical open internal to the field wire connection.    

If you run a jumper from the battery to the field terminal you should get magnetism on the back of the case around the center.  Just feel around with a wrench or whatever for a pull.  If magnetism, it works

No need to do this as other tests confirmed alternator is open.
#mike_belben  

Thanks for the recommendations.  However, as I detailed above the alternator is most likely no good.   Still waiting on the replacement.  It should be here by Wednesday this week.

Thank You Sponsors!