iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deer Stands and Wasp

Started by Magicman, November 17, 2012, 09:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I readied a couple of shooting houses preparing for our season opener.  I always have the wasp spray handy and they did not disappoint but I surely was surprised.  Nine nest all lined up between two studs.

Thankfully my trigger finger was faster then they were.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Wasps have to make a living, too.  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pineywoods

Quote from: WDH on November 17, 2012, 09:42:07 PM
Wasps have to make a living, too.  :).

Just look at it this way, every one of the cells in those nests contains at least 1 dead bug or grasshopper.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

Dirt daubers do that, not wasp.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Delawhere Jack

I wish I had that problem, instead I had the honor of pulling 200-300 staples out when I replaced the burlap in the old stand I inherited. It seems that somebody(s) over the years was obsessive compulsive about fastening the burlap....

On bright side, only 4 days til rifle season in Maryland! :)

Magicman

Our major stands are really not much trouble to get ready.

The Straw House, because it is in the Straw Field.  That Red Oak fell this year.

The entrance to the Straw House.  This is PatD's stand.

The Wheel House, because it's base is an old fertilizer applicator, and it can be moved to different locations,

The front of the Wheel House.

You guessed it....The Back House, because it is located on the back of the place.   

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Is that a screen door on the straw house?  say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I looks like it but no, just two pieces of ΒΌ" plywood. 

The bent roofing happened when the right side of that Red Oak fell.  That is also when the closest pole in the first picture got replaced.

This picture was taken from inside of the Straw House and shows the two raise up windows that are on the inside.

Inside of the Straw House showing the spent cartridge "ledger board". 

WDH

The screen door keeps the wasps out. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Norm

In Iowa we are required to have a SMV sign on all 4 sides of any enclosed stand.  :D

Magicman

:D  Well it certainly is a SMV when I move it.   move_it

Chuck White

I see what you're getting at Norm.

I usually feel a little nervous when I'm in a huntin' shack.

You never know but what a stray bullet may pass through the area!

We've even had times when it felt right to stand a flourescent orange painted board up near the shack.  Kinda like the flag on a mailbox!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

pappy19

Buy some large dog flea/tick collars and cut them up and place in stratigic areas and also just hang them in the ceilings, etc. No more wasps.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

WDH

It will also help keep fleas and ticks off the hunters  :D.

Thank You Sponsors!