iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Updated pictures. What is this?

Started by Georgia088, November 05, 2018, 08:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Georgia088

I have a naive and probably wrong guess. (yellow poplar?)  It has been laying for about a year and a half off of the ground, but it seems to still be solid.  Thanks!

nativewolf

Liking Walnut

WDH

Me too.  Looks ring porous. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Georgia088

Here are the pictures of this tree once I opened it up. What is this? Very green looking. 

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

We guessed wrong.  MM is right, yellow poplar.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Georgia088

Awesome, thanks! I assume those bright colors will fade with time? ( I wish they wouldn't). So, a yellow poplar and tulip are the same tree? Lumber that is called rainbow poplar, is that just a selling point for poplar wood or is it different all together? A lot of questions I know.... sorry!

lxskllr

The purple will probably stay. dunno about the rest. I see that in survey stakes some times. Current batch is rotted oak  :^D

WDH

Yes, yellow poplar and tulip poplar are the same tree.  When you get the black, blue and deep red colors in the heartwood, that is called rainbow poplar.  Normally it is just green. 

low_48

All the colors will fade. Will all get some shade of brown after many years if not placed in direct sunlight. In direct light it won't take long. Based on what that log looked like, get some borax solution on it right away. Likely going to be some livestock in it.

Thank You Sponsors!