iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swamp Ash

Started by Squirrell_Boy, January 06, 2006, 12:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squirrell_Boy

I have often heard about Swamp Ash, but just exactly what member of the ash (Fraxinus) family is it? I know it is lighter and softer than white ash.
"Of course we don't know what we're doing. That's why they call it research." Albert Einstein

SwampDonkey

You could be referring to black ash (Fraxinus nigra), they just grow in cedar swamps and bottom land here. But, it's heavier green, then white ash. Once dried (12%) black ash is 34 lb/ft^3, whereas white ash is 42 lb/ft^3.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

OLD_ JD

what about red ash (Fraxinus pennsylvanica ) ;) is that posible too :)
canadien forest ranger

SwampDonkey

Quote from: OLD_ JD on January 06, 2006, 06:50:50 PM
what about red ash (Fraxinus pennsylvanica ) ;) is that posible too :)

Yes indeed sir. ;) I wasn't sure of the dried weight of green ash though. You have a figure?

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Steve

Here is a link to green ash that they  say is also called swamp ash.

http://www.northern.edu/natsource/TREESA1/Greena1.htm

As one whose business it is to know music woods I would be interested in those of you who mill this wood.
It is used almost exclusively in the construction of electric guitar bodies.

Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

SwampDonkey

Green ash is the most widely distributed ash in Canada/US. Shouldn't be any trouble to get some.  :)

Squirrell_Boy

Thanks, I will start looking for some those types here locally and see what i can find and in what size. We do get some huge white ash in this part of the Mississippi valley. Swamp ash like you said is used a lot in electric guitar bodies, especially Fender guitars like the Stratocaster. I'd like to cut some up and see what it is like. I would imagine it is very similar to white ash. Anybody had a chance to cut some up?
"Of course we don't know what we're doing. That's why they call it research." Albert Einstein

Dana

I cut some up several years ago. Nice 8' logs, cut to 1"  with crotch area in it. I kept the edges live as I didn't have a use for the lumber. It is still in our barn, ready I am sure for someone to use/buy ;)
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

estiers

I also know the native americans here in Michigan use black ash for thier basketry.  The tree is unique because you can harvest the growth rings easily (they just pull apart making strips for use).  Saw a demo about the practice and it was very interesting.
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

SwampDonkey

Quote from: estiers on January 09, 2006, 08:12:07 AM
I also know the native americans here in Michigan use black ash for thier basketry.  The tree is unique because you can harvest the growth rings easily (they just pull apart making strips for use).  Saw a demo about the practice and it was very interesting.

The Mallisseet tribes here in NB and Maine have always made baskets from black ash and sold alot to local farmers for potato picking years gone by. It's a dying art though, the younger generation don't seem to have the ambition to learn.  ::) My grandfather used to deck the bridge with ash and sometimes it would become missing as there was a family of natives next door in Maine that would take it on occassion. Oh well. :D When I was a kid I'de here them pound ash day after day on the Tobique Reserve.

Larry

Squirrel_Boy, a thread I started bout a year ago.

Swamp Ash

Found some last spring in SE Arkansas...and yeap it was in the swamp.  Milled and dried it...got a few blanks sent off to a Luthier.  Jury is still out if I did good or not...learning experience for me.

I think Steve has a real good handle on the value of it.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

woodbeard

Larry, I believe your first statement in that thread is right on. As far as I have been able to figure out, the wood called " swamp ash " in the guitar industry is just ash that grows in a deep southern swamp, and not any particular species, even though many species of ash carry the alternate name of swamp ash. And I believe it is also just the big swollen butt log of the tree that produces it.

Thank You Sponsors!