iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree ID for April 1st(solved Baldwin Pear)

Started by Tom, April 01, 2003, 03:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DanG

Looks a lot like a pair of pears. 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

CHARLIE

Magnolia.  Used for being pretty.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

RMay

RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Tom

No, Not an apple (malus) nor a fig nor a magnolia. Dang got it. It's a Baldwin Pear and is loaded with these little pears.  I just hope that they all take.  I'll make more pears than I can can if they do.  (double word sentence} :D

I'm glad that some of you guys still check this topic out.  We've had a lot of fun here from time to time trying to guess a tree or flower.  Spring is coming on now and warm weather will progressively move north bringing blooms, fruit and new leaves to trees some of us aren't familiar with.  You fellows will have to be on the lookout for stuff that will make good puzzles and plan your pictures.  

I'm looking forward to it. :) :)

Bro. Noble

Tom,

I shoulda got that cause we have one of those------its where our dog goes to do do do (triple word sentance!!!) ;D

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

John_Boisselier

Tom it is totally unfair of you to brag  ;) about how early and how productive things are down there without an open invitation to help you consume the excess at the appropriate season.   ;D.    I was down in your neck of the woods a couple of weeks ago, but couldn't locate your number to say hi.  Enjoyed the blooms coming out everywhere though.
The Woodsman

DanG

Well, I finally got one! 8)  It was easy, since my mill is parked under a pear tree. I'll have to find a new temporary location before they start falling. Must be a kajillion of''em on there.
Fergot to answer the question about the uses. My Mama makes a Pineapple-Pear upside down cake that's so good it'll curl yer toenails. ;D  Pear relish is something hard to beat, too.  
My wife flung a green pear at the dog, once. Didn't dream she would hit him, but beaned him right between the ears. Put his lights out fer a few minutes.  Pears are handy. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

John!!

Good hearing from you again.  I thought you had dropped off of the face of the eart :D

If you make it again, look in the phone book.  I'm in there.  Sure would have liked to have seen you.  We could have spent the afternoon in a Buffet drinking a cup of coffee and eating half a cow. :D :D

I like all those eating suggestions too, DanG.  Charlie might come up with a turner suggestion.  I don't think they put as much "weight" on the culinary aspects of everything as we do. :D

CHARLIE

As a woodturner, my suggestion for pears is to wait until they are ripe and sit under the tree and eat them. If one falls on your head, then write a book about the theory of the gravity of the situation.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!