iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Here's a good one.-Its a PECAN!

Started by Tom, August 17, 2003, 08:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Height: 100' (30 m).
Diameter: 3' (0.9 m).
Leaves: pinnately compound; 12-20" (30-51 cm) long; 11-17 slightly sickle-shaped leaflets, 2-7" (5-18 cm) long; long-pointed at tip; finely saw-toothed; short-stalked; hairless or slightly hairy. Yellow-green above, paler beneath; turning yellow in autumn.
Bark: light brown or gray; deeply and irregularly furrowed into narrow forked scaly ridges.

DanG

That's so easy, I ain't even gonna answer it.  Shore makes some pretty wood, though. Handy in the kitchen around Thanksgiving time, iffin I recollects correct. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Texas Ranger

heartwood tan to chocolate?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

This is a gimme for a Texas boy. :D

Bro. Noble

I always thought punkins grew on bushes :D   Boy I like punkin pie almost as much as pecan pie.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

DanG

Noble I'm surprised at you. Punkin grow on vines. Minces grow on trees. We get mincemeat pies from them. Maybe ya wuz thinkin' of rhubarb bushes. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Texas Ranger

Tom

Ok, Don. :-/   I'll give another hint.  (sigh!)  
C'mon guys!  This doesn't look anything like a Mince Tree.          :D

biziedizie

Is it a pot plant??? .........you know like a plant you put in a pot. ;D

Steve

Jeff

doest that grow the container for the things you pay charlie with when he swamps for ya?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

So I've been told, Jeff. :D

Texas Ranger

I know!  I know!  It's a kumquat! 8)

Texas Ranger

DanG, Jeff, I wish I thought of that one.

Jeff

Ya know, I don't think I have ever seen a kumquat. That would make a good I.D.er.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

It would take a picture of the fruit and a description so ideal that guessing would be almost out of the question.  I can't seem to grow them in my yard because the tree freezes every year but I have access to some.  Perhaps I can put a kumquat, calamanda or loquat on this year if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Now, let's get back to this Pea Pot tree. :)

smwwoody

QuoteHandy in the kitchen around Thanksgiving time. :)

Turkeys don't grow on trees. they just fly down out of them to scare the %&#$%  out of you in the dark

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

OneWithWood

That there wouldn't be a nutmeg kinda tree would it?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Tom

It's a Pecan!

Some folks call'em Pehcahnz and some call'em Pehcanz.  Some say Peacahn but us non-pretentious folks say Pea Can.  I guess it depends on whether you hold your pinky out when you talk. :D

The Texas State Tree

Texas Ranger

DanG, I shudda got that ::)

Had an aunt from Illinoise come down south for a spell, went to a little old country store for a few things, and asked the clerk for a pee can, he handed her a slop jar.

More like, pacahn.

Bro. Noble

That sounds right to me Don. :)

Tom,
Don't give up on us just cause we had trouble with that one.  We love doing this but that was a hard one :-/  How bout giving us a maple tree next,  I bet we could get that
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Texas Ranger

Yeah, what Noble said.  Now I'm purty good on pith ellums.

Thank You Sponsors!