iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

weird weed leaf (RMay figured it out)

Started by Tom, September 09, 2003, 07:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Here is the leaf from a plant I found.  I've seen it and knew what it was at one point in my life but not anymore.   I've looked the internet over and can't find it. I've looke in my books and can't find it.  I must just be looking it over because I know I've ID'd this fool thing before.  

It is a tree/shub about 7 feet tall.  The stem is woody, very hairy and has a cottony filled hole for a pith.  It seeded beside an old trash pile of leaves.

The leaves are opposing, pretty much and slightly whorled as they go out the stem.  I wouldn't call it a whorled configuration though.

Would you fellows help me research it?

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Pretty ornate leaf for a weed, eh?

Jeff

Sure looks to me like ya got a hungry, artistic bug to identify first. :D

Bro. Noble

It's shaped a whole lot like a mulberry leaf
milking and logging and sawing and milking

RMay

Tom is it paper mulberry  broussonetia papyrifera
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Tom

RMAY,
I looked at some representations of Paper Mulberry on the web and there are some that look similar.  These seem to be more sculptured.  This plant has every leaf looking like the one pictured.  The paper mulberry pictures show this as being one of several different shapes on the same plant.

Other descriptions of Paper Mulberry match this plant and it very well may be a Paper Mulberry.  I'm going to keep looking for awhile to see if there is another that may match the sharp serrations of this leaf.  Thanks

Tom

Ok, I have burned up a lot of hours of internet time last night and you have to be right, RMay.

I found one picture that looks like this leaf in all the sites I went to.  Most looked liked white mulberry with the cottonwood looking leaf and the mitten looking leaf.  This one looks just like my leaf.
http://www.biologie.uni-ulm.de/systax/dendrologie/broussone.htm

I'm happy! :)

Texas Ranger

OK, I'll be the wet blanket, doesn't sound like mulberry.  Cotteny pith and hairy stem puts it in the weed class, not tree class.  Most mulberry (I am not a mulberry expert) have a solid pith.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Texas Ranger

OK, looked at the pictures and definition.

Never mind. :P
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

You sound like Roseanna Anna Danna :D :D

Jeff

You fergot a roseanna. I miss her. She was funny.
Roseanna Rose Anna Danna

Tom

Thank You Sponsors!