iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3x5 Douglas Fir

Started by Believer, January 23, 2010, 02:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Believer

I have a chance to buy 26 full dimension 3x5x15' DF.  It's painted on two sides.  I was thinking of resawing for T&G paneling.  Does that make sense?  I have access to band mill and planer.  I could use them in the future for structural elements.  Would $500 be a good price or too much? Newbie questions so have patience.  Thanks.

ladylake

You would get around 390 bf for $500, way to much.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

beenthere

Welcome to the forum
Sounds expensive, as you still need to pay for sawing and planing/moulding to the panelling pattern. Sawing and planing painted wood will be wearing on the bands and real tough on planer knives. As a rule, planing painted wood is a big NO
Have you figured those costs, and compared them to just buying ready-made panelling?

Without a specific use, seems a lot to invest in the plan to just "make it into something".

What else can you tell us about what you might want to use the wood for? Maybe I'm missing something obvious here.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

red oaks lumber

i just bought some d.fir beams(3500 b.f.) yeasterday paid $1.65/b.f. we will resaw and make flooring to resell .far as painted sides beenthere is right it's abrasive and dulls stuff fairly fast having said that, we saw and plane old dirty painted wood every day without to much trouble. to answer the question on price, you are buying 487b.f. for $500.00 thats $1.03 /b.f. if the beams look good , staight ,not cracked to much ,no rot, to me that seems like a very fair price. depends on where you live, if you don't buy them p.m. me with the info i would buy them.
welcome "aboard" the forum
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

SwampDonkey

It was my understanding that large timbers cost more per board footage. Always seems that way when I go buy them anyplace. Certainly large eastern spruce logs for instance, are worth a lot more at the log home places and they are $250 a piece before they are worked on.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ladylake

Quote from: red oaks lumber on January 23, 2010, 09:00:30 PM
i just bought some d.fir beams(3500 b.f.) yeasterday paid $1.65/b.f. we will resaw and make flooring to resell .far as painted sides beenthere is right it's abrasive and dulls stuff fairly fast having said that, we saw and plane old dirty painted wood every day without to much trouble. to answer the question on price, you are buying 487b.f. for $500.00 thats $1.03 /b.f. if the beams look good , staight ,not cracked to much ,no rot, to me that seems like a very fair price. depends on where you live, if you don't buy them p.m. me with the info i would buy them.
welcome "aboard" the forum

After sawing it will yield around 390 a bf..  If you have a market to sell it a high price fine, otherwise you can come over here and buy white oak sawed for 90 cents a bf and a white oak floor is hard to beat.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

SwampDonkey

The thing about it is, it's sold as 3 x 5, the seller isn't going to take the loss because your sawing it into finer boards. ::) Besides that, some species of wood are just worth more on the market and increases in value with distance from source. Up here oak is too scarce to be bothered with, it's been mostly cut for pulp and firewood or saved out for hobby wood workers. At one mill area they logged the oak all off the place, just suckered stuff left. It was just an isolated pocket of it mixed in the hardwoods. You'd wonder how it got there, no other oaks for miles. Go buy red oak here and it'll cost as much as good cherry, $2.80 a bf for select, kilned and rough. A white oak they got from PA for a water wheel on the saw mill at Kings Landing was so they could get 3" x 14" planks. I bet that cost a lot a green stuff. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ladylake

It should be worth more in beams rather than sawing it into flooring, flooring lumberb is cheap around here.   Steve

red oaks lumber

we are talking about d.fir not other species, bigger beams will bring more money.
ladylake, how do you figure the b.f. when sawed? i figure if sawing 1" boards you'll still end up with 487 b.f. you don't need to have a cleanup cut, the planer will clean that face up.
do i think d.fir is worth $1-$2 b.f.? no but thats what it brings in the market place, just like i don't think gas is worth $2.79/ gal. but thats what it sells for.
believer.. just make sure it dosen't have creasote in it, if it does go the other way!  it has no value
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Den Socling

Are they old growth or new growth. The two are very different in density. I have had "thinnings" here that showed the increase in rings per inch as larger trees started to take over the canopy. Old growth Douglas fir would have to be worth more money.

ladylake

Quote from: red oaks lumber on January 24, 2010, 10:01:48 AM
we are talking about d.fir not other species, bigger beams will bring more money.
ladylake, how do you figure the b.f. when sawed? i figure if sawing 1" boards you'll still end up with 487 b.f. you don't need to have a cleanup cut, the planer will clean that face up.
do i think d.fir is worth $1-$2 b.f.? no but thats what it brings in the market place, just like i don't think gas is worth $2.79/ gal. but thats what it sells for.
believer.. just make sure it dosen't have creasote in it, if it does go the other way!  it has no value

The way it sits with no sawing loss there exactly 487.5 bf . There will be quite a bit of loss as they won't be perfecty staight and might be twisted. I was figuring on getting 4  3" boards out of each cant after allowing for waste.   Steve

logwalker

Too many variables to say the value. Need to know the grade and how they were dried. Might only be worth $200/300. If clear and no large checks closer to a $1000.

Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Thank You Sponsors!