iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poplar log pic

Started by Jemclimber, March 21, 2012, 10:18:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemclimber

I know many of you like to see pictures as much as I do so I'm trying to figure out how to post them.  Here is a cottonwood 35" by 8' long. 

lt15

Magicman

Nice.  Ya gonna saw it with your LT15?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jemclimber

yes, I'll have to "Jake" it down to size first though.
lt15

Jim_Wahl

I'd guess that the more who see that log picture, the more poplar it'll get.
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

thecfarm

Now that is quite the arch. Did you haul it off the lawn with the ATV-arch? Going to load it onto the trailer?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jemclimber

Yes, that is how I get logs out of back yards with little access between houses. I'm putting the first log on the trailer.  I made the arch tall to pick up logs high enough to put on the trailer or right onto the mill. The back brace of the arch is almost 6 feet, and 8" tube is pretty strong.  I use a hand winch with a 4:1 mechanical advantage to make picking up heavy logs possible. I have an electric winch I'd like to put on it when I get some free time.  That could be awhile.
lt15

tyb525

Well, a Cottonwood is a Poplar, after all ;)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

MotorSeven

Forget the log, how did you manage to get a beautiful blond helper??? :D
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Jemclimber

I'm very lucky, "my girl" helps me in many ways and isn't afraid to get dirty. She's a keeper.
lt15

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

MotorSeven

Quote from: Jemclimber on March 22, 2012, 08:16:08 AM
I'm very lucky, "my girl" helps me in many ways and isn't afraid to get dirty. She's a keeper.

Jem's "Gem"....good deal!

I am going to have to build a log arch one of these days......
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Bogue Chitto

What poplar log? ;D :D

shelbycharger400

i too have to say i like your lift.    that looks like a chrysler rim on your rolling axle too

caver

Tulip Poplar and I loaded that thing with jacks and a come-a-long.  ;D
Baker HD18

js2743

Jemclimber, looks like you got a mighty strong motor there on that winch.  :D

Dave Tarheels

jemclimber - Could you take some pics of that log skidder . did you make it yourself .
LT 20 Woodmizer

Jemclimber

Yes, I made it myself, from metal I had on hand. I'm very frugal you know.  ;D The hand winch has a 4:1, which is why I had to add the higher picking point, to accommodate the homemade blocks.  Cranking big logs is not that difficult. Just a lot of turning.  What kind of pics would you like?
lt15

Jemclimber

It seems lots you want to see the muscle behind the winch. She's in my gallery, and is a hard worker inside and outside the home. My youngest daughter also powers it sometimes. 

lt15

eastberkshirecustoms

Nice log arch! Are those 6x6 guard rails?

Jemclimber

Yes they are guard rails. I bought them from a guy who got them at a state auction. He had a bunch of them. I wish I could have bought all he had.
lt15

Dave Tarheels

that photo is good enough thanks , we've been thinking of making one . Just trying to get some ideas cause 1000 bucks to buy one is a little steep right now .
LT 20 Woodmizer

MotorSeven

Hmmmm, I have some of those except they are 6x6 I beam. Welding galvanized metal is not high on my todo list though >:(
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Thank You Sponsors!