Previous topic - Next topic

fishpimp

Ok boys I need some opinions.
Sawed out this stuff last winter.
Whatever it is , it sure is purdy.
Got some qsawn on the edges.
Table and matching benches.
4'x8' 8/4 live edge.
Just sprayed the table so more pics later.
The feller I sawed it from claimed it butternut hickory.
Another ole timer told me mountain oak.
So what ya think it is?

beenthere

Oak will have visible rays, and hickory will not. Do you see any rays?

What I can tell from the pic, it is hickory. But really can't tell much regards any rays or not. 

Can you get a close-up shot with a good camera? ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hackberry jake

White oak. You can see some rays at the lower left.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I don't know and don't care. How much you want for those boards?  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

cutterboy

This is hickory, but it's shagbark.

To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

WDH

That Jake has a good eye.

Take some close-ups like BT suggested and we will confirm the diagnosis. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bill Gaiche

fishpimp

It sure smells like oak. The slabs were twice as heavy as red oak.
Get ya some more pics after I do the expoxy glaze coat.

beenthere

Clearly oak, and thanks for those pics.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

qbilder

The "mountain oak" the old man was referring to is likely chestnut oak, which looks consistent with your boards. It only grows in the Appalachians, a relative of white oak but enough different to be different. Your boards look brown enough to be chestnut oak. For years I ignored & neglected that tree because I had always known it to be a low grade white oak. Then I finally cut some this summer and realized that it was beautiful with dark varied color & bold patterns in the grain. After the first log I cut a few more just to see if the beauty was a lucky fluke, but to my amazement it's all that nice. It's now my favorite oak. 
God bless our troops

mesquite buckeye

I'm going to start growing more low grade trees. Really beautiful. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

ancjr

I have some 6" high chestnut oaks   :)

WDH

I told you that that (Tom)  Hackberry Jake had a good eye  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpimp

Maybe I shoulda used some differ plugs ? Lol

drobertson

Real good eye, must come from measuring short fish ;D   pretty stuff for sure,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

hackberry jake

"Short fish"... What are you guys trying to say  ???
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Thank You Sponsors!