iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of wood is this?

Started by JPowell7575, July 07, 2014, 02:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPowell7575

New to the forum here.  I got this wood in East Texas and am not sure what kind of wood it is.  I've made an educated guess but would rather not share yet just so it doesn't place any bias on the answers.Anyone know?  Thanks for the help.

I can take more pictures if needed.

Edit: I have to fix the pictures real quick, I thought the --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!-- link would work.  Will fix now.

JPowell7575

There we go.  Sorry about that.

Texas Ranger

It looks like a red oak, splits like a red oak, and if it smells like sourmash, it's oak.  But I could be wrong.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

JPowell7575

I know it looks like red oak but I've split more Red Oak than I like to think about and this definitely isn't red oak.  That's what I thought it was until I started splitting it.

Texas Ranger

JPowell7575

Sure don't bud.  There were two but I cut them off while I was transporting the wood.  Sorry.

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

I believe that it is hickory. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

Danny, does hickory split like that?

LeeB

Looks like hickory to me. I just split a some of it 2 weeks ago.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

Yes, it does split like that, and the heartwood color is just right.  The bark makes me think pignut. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

JPowell7575

I've got a few more pictures I took last night.  Got lucky and found a couple of leaves.

Any chance it can be black gum?

Texas Ranger

Not black gun, I'd go with elm.

goose63

Do you wash your wood be for you split it? :D :o
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

JPowell7575

That's my dryer to cure it faster!! Haha.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

So much for the hickory theory  :D.

Elm for sure. 

JPowell7575

Just curious, what changed everyone's mind from Hickory to Elm?  I didn't think it was hickory, but I'm certainly no expert.  I've never dealt with Elm before, so I can believe that.  I've messed with sweet gum but never black gum, didn't really seem like the sweet gum I had seen before.  I remember that stuff stunk.  Is this wood good for anything besides burning in the fire pit outside?  It seems unusually wet, and I'm not sure if I'd call it a hardwood or a softwood.  If it's a hardwood it's definitely softer than the Oaks and Hickories I've dealt with before.  Seems like it will take a good while to dry too.

WDH

The leaf identifies it as an elm.  The leaf margins are toothed in a doubly serrate pattern where there two distinct sizes of teeth, one larger, and one smaller.  It is a simple leaf, meaning one leaf blade to a petiole (the little stalk that attaches the leaf to the twig).  Hickory has a compound leaf where there is one main leaf stalk (the petiole in a compound leaf is called a rachis) and 5 or more leaflets that radiate from the central leaf rachis.

The are several species of trees that have interlacing ridges in the bark.  Hickory, elm, ash are three of them.  Elm also has spiral grain which makes it difficult to split like sweetgum, blackgum, and sycamore. 

JPowell7575

Awesome thank you guys so much for the help.

Texas Ranger

still cannot believe it split like that, elm and hickory have been buggers to split, for me.  Never split black gun, but, would think it the same.

JPowell7575

There's absolutely nothing good about the way this wood splits.  I think I'm a fairly decent wood splitter and this is definitely the hardest wood I've ever split.  If I was doing this for anything other than just fun I would pile all this up and have a bonfire just to get rid of it. 

Texas Ranger

Hey, JP, while you are in an appreciative mood, why not fill out the personal information that shows on  your posts, so we know where, who and what  ya are!! 8)

Oh, yeah, welcome to the forum.

JPowell7575

Done and done.  I was hoping it was some sort of wood I could use to cook with, I was really excited when people started saying Pecan and Hickory, but I didn't think it was any of those.  It's hard to tell without seeing/smelling the wood and not having any leaves either. I forgot how much fun running a saw and splitting wood was.

Texas Ranger

We Texans are gaining in strength.   8)

Thank You Sponsors!