iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sugar Maple, Beech or what?

Started by ReggieT, December 27, 2016, 12:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Hi Guys,

Stumbled upon this free tree from a Real Estate Developer close to my house...he says its a beech...others say Maple of some sort.
Here are some pics...the tree has been down about 2  months.
Smelled sort of sweet when I split a piece, although it's lighter it's full of knots & it harder split than my red oak.
I'm kinda stumped. ??? :P

Thanks
Reg

VT_Forestry

Looks like Florida Maple, sometimes called southern sugar maple
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

WDH

Look very closely at the end grain, if it is beech, the rays should be large and prominent like in red oak.  They should be really easy to see with the naked eye.

If the rays are not really obvious, I believe that it is southern sugar maple like VT says. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

WDH

That bark speaks to me too, Joan. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

How does it split? Beech splits hard.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

newoodguy78

I'm certainly not from your area but as has been said it sure looks like maple to me. In the north here I don't believe I've ever seen moss/lichen growing on a beech but it's hard to find a maple without it.

ReggieT

Quote from: thecfarm on December 27, 2016, 07:11:07 PM
How does it split? Beech splits hard.
Splits rather ornery...kinda surprised...tougher than my red oak.

thecfarm

Red oak will just about pop right open here in Maine. The easiest wood to split,that I know of.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

Quote from: thecfarm on December 29, 2016, 05:40:42 AM
Red oak will just about pop right open here in Maine. The easiet wood to split,that I know of.
the only time I can get red oak to split like that is when I'm cutting them down  8)   it looks like hard maple to me

Ron Scott

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!