iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looks like cedar but what type.

Started by TCole, June 27, 2017, 11:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TCole

Greetings to everyone!  I bought 22 shutters from a guy that I thought were pine. When I started working with it I could smell the cedar. It's not the same as aromatic cedar but maybe incense cedar. I first thought it was western red cedar but the end grain doesn't match the picture on wood-database.com. I will try to attach some pictures. I would appreciate anyone's opinion on what species of wood this might be.

Well, the "Click here to add photos to post" button only allows me to add photos to my album. I don't know how to get the photos from the album into the post.

**update**
Wood-database western red cedar

End grain from shutter

Shutter

fishpharmer

Welcome to FF TCole! 
Leave your window open with the post box open and the curser in it.  Then open another window with your gallery, go below picture and click "insert photo in post."   Hope that helps.   Not sure about the cedar.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Chop Shop

TCole

Thanks for the help fishpharmer. I have updated the post with the pics. The wood-database end grain pic shows a tighter grain and no visible pores like in the shutter end grain pic. What do you think, Chop?

Chop Shop

I have western red cedar here with 1/2 grain/growth rings.

Newer stuff (second and third growth) have wider rings and more red/salmon color.  The old growth/BC stuff is tighter like yours and the darker brown color.

Yours looks just like the lumber I get when I saw old cedar tele poles.

Ianab

Yes, the tight growth rings means the tree was growing slowly in a mature forest. "Old Growth". Might take 300 years to reach a decent size.

If a forest is logged and regrows the new trees have plenty of light / water / nutrients and grow MUCH faster, meaning the growth rings are further apart. So you might get a harvestable "second growth" tree in 50 years. I have local Port Orford Cedar here that has 3 or 4 growth rings per inch.  It's perfectly OK wood, but it's certainly not the same as the "Old Growth" stuff with 20 or 30 rings per inch.

So growth ring spacing is a poor identifier, as those depend on how the individual tree grew. (Climate / Competition etc)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sandhills

OK so I'll rear my ignorant head again, so what's the difference between Eastern red cedar (which grows like a weed around here) and Western red cedar?

WDH

Western red cedar is brown with the slightest aromatic smell.  Eastern red cedar is red and with cream colored sapwood with a very strong and distinct smell.  Western red cedar usually is all heartwood with no light colored sapwood.  The eastern red cedar has a distinctive cream colored sapwood.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sandhills

Thanks WDH, we have so much erc around here I didn't know there was anything else  :D.

TCole

Thanks for everyone's input. Here is a pic of the wood after it has been through a shaper

DanG

Let's not miss an educational opportunity here!  :P

WDH, what tells us that this wood is WRC and not Atlantic White Cedar? It looks a lot like AWC to me, which also has aromatic qualities.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

enigmaT120

Quote from: sandhills on June 28, 2017, 12:25:25 PM
OK so I'll rear my ignorant head again, so what's the difference between Eastern red cedar (which grows like a weed around here) and Western red cedar?

I don't know if I could easily tell the woods apart (though my house is made from WRC) but the two trees are not very similar at all.  Isn't ERC a Juniperous species?  Like our juniperious occidentalis in eastern Oregon?  Our western red cedar isn't a true cedar either, thuya plicata.  But it smells good.  I planted about 450 of them a year and a half ago with good survival so far.  I'll be glad when I can quit fighting the weeds around them.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

sandhills

I'll leave that one for the professionals here, but if your wrc grows anything like our erc here you won't have to battle weeds long  ;).

xlogger

Does white cedar hold up in the weather as good as ERC?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

DanG

From my experience the heartwood holds up very well to the elements. The sapwood will rot rather quickly.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!