iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut Seedlings

Started by PA_Walnut, August 18, 2017, 07:35:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PA_Walnut

My name here indicates my love for walnut and desire to saw/use it, but not a tree expert. Cutting a few VERY large ones on my land, so would like to get some new ones growing. I have some seedlings around, but have a tough time discerning between walnut and locust. Here's one. Can anyone lend a hand?

Do they transplant ok? How/when?

Thanks!!

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

DelawhereJoe

Locust should have more oval/egg shaped  leaves, the walnut should have longer pointer ones
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

etroup10

You can also take a leaflet off and smell it. Walnut has a very distinct smell
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

ToddsPoint

Walnuts are really easy to plant.  I mowed a strip in my pasture short, then ran the disc over it a few times.  Gathered up a 5 gal. bucket of walnuts from the woods and poured them out walking in a row down the strip in the fall.  Two yrs. later I have about 30 walnuts not quite knee high on the 50 yd. strip that are doing well.  I'll be long gone by the time these trees are mature, but hopefully someone will enjoy them or mill them.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

WDH

In black walnut, the terminal leaflet is poorly formed or aborts.  The terminal leaflets in the leaves that you show clearly do not fit that bill.  To be sure, you can cut one of the stems lengthwise, and the pith should be chambered. 

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=32
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

samandothers

Agree with Todd' s point, easy to transplant.

I brought some of the nuts (still in husks) to Charlotte from Va thinking I'd crack them,I never did. I poured them out on the ground for the squirrels.  They planted them for me.  Several sprouted where the squirrels left unrecoverable.  They were in places I did not care for and so I moved them.  They are doing fine.

ButchC

As the other's said Black Walnut is falling down easy to start from seed. I did it by accident. Last year the tree in my yard had a bumper crop and I had to get them off the lawn. I dumped them in the corner of the lot and in May I had dozens of seedings coming up from the pile. I thought what the hey and dug up several of  them and planted them around the place. All are doing quite well.  Guess what i am saying is if you cant positively ID those seedlings gather some nuts, plant'em and then move the seedlings.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

samandothers

Happy birthday Butch.  It is good to have them!

PA_Walnut

Thanks for all the tips. I'll just plant some!
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Kbeitz

Easy to tell...
The Walnut seedling will have a shell nut on it's roots.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

PA_Walnut

Been scavenging the big green shells and will plant some soon as see what happens.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!