iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of wood?

Started by Bigc1989, September 16, 2017, 12:38:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigc1989

A customer brought me a load of wood today to plane for him and wasn't sure what it was(said he thought maple and that's what the lady told him who had it in her barn the past 40 years). I started to plane it and I wasn't sure if it was maple. Before I planed it looked like an oak to me but now I don't think it is. Kinda looks like ash or maple? Is this maple. I only planed a couple boards so far just wondering what it was. ??? ??? Thanks in advance.

loganworks2

From those pics I would say red oak

Bigc1989

At first I thought oak but there's a lot of straight grain and I didn't see any fleck in one board out of the 500 boardfoot which makes me think ash.. wouldn't the straight grain be where the fleck would show up?

loganworks2

Yes that is where the fleck would show up. From the pics it appears that the strait grain in those boards is more of a rift sawn and would not show the fleck. Look at the end grain and you will probably see that the grain is at 45 or less angle and will not show the fleck. Then again I may be wrong and it may be ash😞

Bigc1989

Will the fleck show up on the edge of the boards? Like the side grain? I believe I've saw that in red oak boards I've had before. I'm just asking for the customer because he's wondering what it is. Thanks.

etroup10

Im going to guess sassafrass.
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Jemclimber

We need a close up picture of the end grain. I don't see any visible medullary rays which oak has. It is definitely ring porous so it can't be maple. I would guess ash, but it could be sassafras.  True color is hard to tell from a picture. Sassafras has a unique smell you will notice if you're planing it.  Many woods are ring porous though and color can vary on different electronics. If you take a hand plane to the end and then get a close up picture, we could better help.
lt15

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

BigBurOak

Who needs a gym if you got a woodpile?

Bigc1989

The boards in the picture are ash. I should have came back to say when I found out for sure. Some of the boards in the pile were also red oak which are not in the picture. I appreciate all the help!  8)

Thank You Sponsors!