iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawing Telephone poles - Advice

Started by E-Tex, May 01, 2018, 03:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E-Tex

i received a call from a builder today.  He has 7-8, 60 foot telephone poles.  he will cut into 16' lengths and would like 4x8's, 4x6's, and 2x6 for fencing. 

I know I should be concerned about Nails and Creosote DUST.....

Is there anything else I should ask him, or be concerned about before I pursue further?

Thanks, Lance
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

47sawdust

Cedar or fir okay,but take a pass on the treated.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

E-Tex

if I can get 60-65 cents a bf....would you?
I'm not afraid to throw him a higher number !
L2 Sawmill LLC

Dave Shepard

I will never cut any treated anything. Not just for the health and toxic waste concerns, but also the corrosion issues on the mill. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

slider

I don't think they make creosote poles anymore but best avoid them. That dust will do your skin bad not to mention your lungs. The new stuff i would not want to breathe .

I might do poles for myself but not for anyone else . If you do , cover up and use a respirator .
al glenn

E-Tex

yes, the dust is my main concern.  I do not want to breath this stuff at all.

my plan was to cover up all body parts and wear a respirator.

ya'll are pretty much scaring me now (or at least my thoughts on bf pricing are rising).

thanks for the comments......keep more coming.

Lance
L2 Sawmill LLC

E-Tex

I spoke with a creosoting company here and they advised "STAY AWAY" from it (the dust, too hard on blades, etc....)

they brought up that the Dust is an Environmental Hazard and has to be properly disposed of.

I'll be passing on this.

Thank you for the responses.

L2 Sawmill LLC

Magicman

Thank You for passing this up.  I told a guy No last night wanting me to saw RR ties.  NO is he correct answer when folks call wanting anything treated sawed.  Just say no.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

E-Tex

I told the builder NO on the poles.....he understood.

Also, he has Pecan he wants sawn up for cabinet lumber.  Turned out well after all.

L2 Sawmill LLC

moodnacreek

I've done them. Gotta have a metal detector and a circle mill.  Would not want to do it in warm weather or with a slow dusty feed.

kelLOGg

My next door neighbor asked me to saw utility poles. I said no. He found a mobile sawyer ~40 miles away who said yes. Then my neighbor proceeded to arrange for delivery (sight unseen) of the free poles which he was told were metal-free. About 30 to 40 were dropped off in a pile by his property; they were the worst looking crap I had ever seen - broken ends, splits, 7' to about 18' long, 6" to 13" diameter AND loaded with metal. Some people just ask for trouble and we neighbors will have to smell creosote in the coming hot weather as the poles slowly stew in the sun. If he was your neighbor what would you do? Sorry for the rant but if I can discourage anyone to saw creosote poles I will.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Southside

Every year I get several calls from folks who scored free poles or free RR ties and they want them sawn - the answer is always NO.  One guy admitted to me that he had already tired to saw them with a chain saw and about killed his saw and for sure killed the bar and chain without even cutting one of them.  There is a reason they are free - it saves on the disposal fee.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

curved-wood

Here is a referrence for customers : it is a sawmill close to Sherbrooke , Canada, that is specialized in sawing treated wood, tel post , etc.
TRED?SI
Their disposal of the slabs and sawdust is done enviromentaly OK and legal.

I had planed some treated wood for a good customer and never again. My employee had  a big rash and we spent more time in cleaning than in planing ! Since usually my shavings go to beeding for animals, we had to seperate it, dispose of it, could not burn it....quite a mess. NEVER NEVER AGAIN

ToddsPoint

My wife is retired from the electric company and always corrects me when I say "telephone poles".  She says they are "utility poles"!  They've been "telephone poles" to me since I was a little kid and everyone seems to know what I'm talking about when I say "telephone pole".  Telephones came before electricity, right?  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

Ianab

But if the pole is holding a fibre optic cable.... It's neither electric or phone. But its a "utility".

Yeah I know its semantics.😉

And I would avoid sawing them no matter what they held up.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

I just smile when I see "telephone pole" used as a generic term.  I worked in the telephone industry for 32+ years and climbed and worked on many "utility poles".  For what it is worth, the actual pole owner is paid rent by the non-owners for each attachment that they place on the owner's pole.

Quote from: E-Tex on May 01, 2018, 03:33:29 PMhe will cut into 16' lengths and would like 4x8's, 4x6's, and 2x6 for fencing.

Back to the original intent; doing this will produce a product with little or very reduced life as a post.  A load of poles is placed on a trolley and rolled into a sealed container where a vacuum is pulled before being pressurized.  The poles then are a virtual shell with the outside and ends being heavily treated and with a minimal amount of treatment reaching the core.  Removing this shell exposes the internal sparsely treated portion which will quickly rot if placed into the ground.  Using cut off poles as fence post again removes this treated end and leaves the bottom of the post untreated.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

In some places they are telegraph poles. :) They are rented by the vertical inch, as my town found out when we ran or new fiber lines. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

E-Tex

Quote from: ToddsPoint on May 02, 2018, 05:34:28 AM
......... They've been "telephone poles" to me since I was a little kid and everyone seems to know what I'm talking about when I say "telephone pole"........  Gary
yes sir......"telephone" poles! ;D
L2 Sawmill LLC

Magicman

And every refrigerator is a Frigidaire.   :D

Southside

Just don't ask for an excavator in the south or a dozer out west, they are trackhoe's and Cat's, no matter who made it.  Thinking about it in Maine the snowmobile trails are all called "Ski-doo" trails and as far as I know other brands are still allowed on them. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

terrifictimbersllc

In Liberia every suv is called a Jeep.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

petefrom bearswamp

Sawed bunch about 10- 15 yrs ago.
I agree with sixacresand never again.
Too much hardware and very noxious dust.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Flintlock427

I have sawn a lot of house piling, that has a concentrate of 2.5 pcf ,I have not seen any rot and some are in use in salt water ,but it is very bad for you if you don't protect you self use  tyvex suits  and full face respirator .    

Thank You Sponsors!