iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Setting up a stud mill ?

Started by backpacker, May 01, 2018, 04:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backpacker

Evening: I picked up a 8ft stud mill, ready to re-assemble, originally powered by a 2cyl diesel, that gave up its soul. { may god bless its fuel}:)
I want to go old school and stay small operation wise, have a fun mill, not a job running a mill, so i
I found a 10hp hit and miss stationary engine to use on it.
The question is whether to locate the engine 20+ feet away from the saw arbor with a slack belt for easier starting and then apply a pressure roller on the belt to engage the mill.
Or mount the engine close to the arbor with a short belt and use a sliding base on the engine to take up the belt slack, once its running.
Also with the longer belt it could be a problem with belt weight alone being enough to still try turning the arbor when pulling over the engine?
Any thoughts?
Tks

Magicman

Quote from: backpacker on May 01, 2018, 04:10:09 PM10hp hit and miss stationary engine

What is the RPM on the engine and is it constant/consistent?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backpacker

Tks for reply, the engine is on a mill now, but the owner has passed on and with the normal clean out of treasures, I got it, he had it running a 24inch non-insert blade for cutting lobster trap sills and runners.
Home made  for his operation but not something I could use safely and without worry, so i picked up a proper mill arbor and carriage., and bought his for the engine.
There appears to be a 20 + inch drive pulley to a 8 0r 10 inch driven pulley on the arbor, the speed is adjustable with the governor,but what it is set at now is unknown, suppose since they fire a power stroke every rotation when loaded it would be constant while sawing and hit/miss[ idle] when moving the carriage.
I wrote "hit and miss ", but being Canadian, here we know them as a " make and break" engines,
same theory of operation, but different term of description.
Still have to place it for assembly and work out the kinks...I assume you are referring to having a blade speed sufficient to have the blade "stand up" when at milling speed?
Any more info you have will be useful
Tks

Magicman

Oh I know nothing about the sawmill, I was just curious about the engine.  I do not remember ever hearing one loaded so I did not know that when loaded they fire a power stroke on every rotation.  All that I have ever seen were set up as hobbies.

DSCN2191 - YouTube
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

BigZ La

Anybody think you could use those flywheels for bandsaw wheels.

Magicman

I don't know but if you look closely you can see some lumber, my sawmill, and large whack of Poplar logs yet to saw.  ;D

51cub

Please excuse my confusion, but is it hit or miss, or throttle governed?
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

backpacker

Quite a nice video there Magicman, the ole thing sounded good, only big difference than mine is in the cyl head design.
The timing  or number of hits and misses are adjusted by the spring tension on the right flywheel governor assembly, more hits/ more speed, and as it slows down more hits to keep the new speed up.
The one in your video, is at your place or you were called in to saw some stuff, and it was there?
A shingle mill or planer would be nice to have the ole girl running..?
51CUB:o  of course a bit more gas is needed to match the governor setting, just by opening the main carb jet, until you find the "sweet spot" and leave it there.
tks

moodnacreek

My grandfather called them make and break engines. A long belt is good as long as you don't spring the mandrel.

Magicman

backpacker, that engine is at a customer's location where he has it set up as a display/hobby.  As I mentioned you can see my sawmill and logs that I was sawing in the background. 

Thank You Sponsors!