iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First BIG Mobile Sawing Job

Started by SawyerTed, May 06, 2018, 02:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

Was on the way to a job on Friday and got a call inquiring about my mobile sawing.  Went to see the job last evening.  What I saw was about one third of the logs, I went to talk with the owner a little while ago.  He showed me the other logs.

While none are big logs there are a lot of them. My best count will be 105 logs 12" and larger the largest is 20" at the butt.  The logs are all pine and poplar.

The photos only show the first few before bucking and staging.  The owner agreed to buck to length and stage according to our discussion. Not all pictured will be sawn, some are pecker poles and firewood.

The advantage is the job is less than a mile from my home.

U
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

I like.  :)

What will the cut list be?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

I asked for a cut list.  He has no preference on the lumber produced.  He asked for most to be 4/4 and widths as the logs allow.  He said he will let me know if he wants any 8/4 lumber.  The only use he has for the lumber is siding for livestock shelters, mostly board and batten.  I figure some of the smaller logs can be stickers and timbers to stack the lumber on.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

ladylake

Timbers work good out of small logs, for stickers I like wide boards as you don't get many stickers out of narrow boards

Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

WV Sawmiller

Looks like a lot of 1X6's and 1X8's. Is the customer providing a helper to stack or are you stacking too? Good luck and I trust all will go well.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

I see lots of the same WV. 

The customer will pay my helpers.  He readily agreed to using my helpers since he's a fireman in a city about an hour away and won't be here all the time when I saw.  This job is one I couldn't do in a timely manner by myself.  I hired one of my helpers for this job a few minutes ago.  The helper has been a farm hand on our farm for about 8 or 10 years.  He's in college now.

I realized today that I'm booked sawing the next two weeks before I can get to this job.  Going to have to have a helper more and more I think.  But the customers will be paying them instead of me.

WV Sawmiller

Ted,

Paying help would be an interesting thread by itself, assuming there are not already several out there. I try to avoid hiring help because of the legal, tax and insurance issues. I ask my customer to provide the helper. I did bring a young helper several months ago and the customer paid him which worked well for both of us.

One of, if not the first, big jobs I took reminds me of this one you describe. There were probably a hundred or so logs. Mostly red and white oak, 8' long 12-18 inches in diameter with a few 10-12 ft logs in the mix. Almost all 4/4 boards. The customer said he could not get dependable help so agreed to pay me a nickle a bf extra (My quote - not his suggestion) for me to stack and sticker them.  That was a mistake on my part as way underpriced IMHO but I finished the job for that rate. I think I moved the mill 3 times to different stacks of logs in the immediate area - the logs were all on one lot. Because of weather and other issues it took me 3 weeks to finish and I did not get paid till the end of the handshake deal so I was getting a little nervous as I had never met my customer before. I tried a couple times to get helpers but they were no shows when the rubber met the road. When I did finally finish the customer promptly paid every penny owed and I moved the mill to a friend of his for another days sawing there and have since sawed for another neighbor he referred me to. The problem for me was instead of one mile it was 45 miles away.

A couple things I learned was to push harder for the customer to provide the helper, even if I need to help him find them, and to charge more if I have to do the stacking and be sure to get progress payments. I tell customers weekly or end of the job, whichever comes first which seems to be working okay. I often get customers offer daily pay and I probably should take it but when I know it is only another day or so I tell them okay to wait till the end of the job.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

I appreciate your experience and wisdom.  I've had to deal with owner provided helpers when the owner couldn't help.  Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't.  I'm thinking I might be better off choosing my helpers and arranging them to be paid by the customer.  I'm going to try it on this job since the customer can't be there.

I did arrange an hourly rate for the helpers.

Magicman

I do not provide any help that I pay.  There are times that I may find or bring the help, but the customer pays them.  There have been times where the help was exceptionally good and improved the production such that I have tipped them out of my pocket.

If I have to do any slab/lumber handling I quote an hourly rate job.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

You know to do that now but I bet somewhere in the distant past there was a special job that prompted you to develop your current practice(s) on help and hourly vs bf charging.  ;)
Howard Green

Magicman

Oh absolutely.  This portable sawing is not a destination, it is a journey.

My actions have contradicted my words many times and occasionally still do.  That is why you have seen me say; never say "never" and never say "always".  You guys would shake your head and not believe what I sometimes do that never reaches these pages.  Sometimes I do not believe it myself.  ::)

PC-Urban-Sawyer

MM, now you've done it!

Time for a new thread: "MM, the untold tales..."

Inquiring minds want to know.

Herb

Magicman

OK, here is one that I did not tell the "rest of the story".

Whatcha Sawin' ??? in Sawmills and Milling

Due to the customer having a long school bus run each weekday, it had to be done on a Saturday.  I drove 64 miles and was setup and sawing by 8:00am.  I was finished by noon so it was a 4 hour job sawing some Sinker Cypress for a lady craftsman.  Wednesday before I sawed it I found out that her husband had just been diagnosed with MS.  This ~40 year old lady now has the weight of the world on her shoulders with children in school, driving a school bus to make ends meet, and now being faced with the uncertainties of dealing with her husband's MS.

I sawed the job and when she came out with her checkbook and asked "how much?", I replied, "no charge".  So I don't always saw bf, or hourly, or charge for a damaged blade.  Sometime I just do what I do and choose not to tell anyone.  :-X

Whitetail_Addict

Lynn
Of all the lessons many of us have learned on this forum this may be the most powerful and helpful. 
2010 WoodMizer LT28, John Deere 4520 w/ FEL, 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel, 2007 Polaris Ranger XP 700, 127 Acres of Northeast hardwoods in New York's Whitetail country

pineywoods

Quote from: Whitetail_Addict on May 07, 2018, 09:16:06 AM
Lynn
Of all the lessons many of us have learned on this forum this may be the most powerful and helpful.
AMEN brother. Add to that the austin black project, the willie steel project, and undoubtedly others that I don't know about. When it comes time for me to stand before the final judgement and account for my life, I really don't want to follow the magic man..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

78NHTFY

X2...that's what this site is all about.  Sorry, gotta walk away, blow my nose.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

Crossroads

Congratulations on the job Ted! If I could stack up a few jobs like that I would have to consider going full time. 
That's a great story MM, sometimes the none monetary payments  are more rewarding than the green could ever be. I'm sure that was a welcome sliver of light for that lady in an otherwise trying time. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Southside

Something is wrong with my computer, the screen is all blurry suddenly.   :embarassed:
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Chuck White

Way to go Lynn, done that a couple times myself!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SawyerTed

On a recent job I followed a tree service that took down some trees for a widow, they cut them down and bucked them to 9 feet at her request.  They cleaned up and left. She never saw them leave.

I got a call from her neighbor to come saw the logs, she had the trees cut and the neighbor requested the logs.  When I arrived the widow asked me how to contact the tree service.  I found the guy and called his cell number.  He told me he never charges widows no matter what.  We talked a little while and he advised me his business was about the people he meets everyday and mine should be too.....

Same lesson Lynn just shared!

Thank You Sponsors!