iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beer Batter Fish

Started by pappy19, May 22, 2014, 08:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy19

Here's a good one:

BEER BATTER FISH

Anyone who has ever been on a halibut fishing trip in Alaska probably has more fish in the freezer than they know what to do with. Classic fish and chips is one of the most loved and universally acceptable ways to enjoy thick, flaky white fish like halibut, white perch (crappie), bass and catfish; it's one of my go-to meals for groups, especially when kids might be in the mix. The key to a great beer batter is to mix it right at the last second so that the beer doesn't go completely flat before the batter has a chance to cook. Those tiny bubbles left inside give the crust a lighter and better crunch overall. I use wooden skewers to transfer the fish from the batter to the hot oil so that as much of the fish is covered in batter as possible.
(Serves 2 – 4)
For the Batter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1 cup Shiner Bock beer
Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl, except for the beer, and whisk together well. Slowly add in the beer while whisking, and stir until a uniform batter is formed.
For the Fish
1 pound halibut fillet, boneless and skinless
2 teaspoons Old Bay Blend
Vegetable oil for deep-frying
Malt vinegar, optional
Jalapeño Rémoulade Sauce (recipe follows), optional
Clean the halibut well and cut into 2- to 4-ounce strips, depending on the thickness of the halibut. Pat the fish dry with paper towels, and then season well on all sides with Old Bay Blend. Dip each piece into the beer batter and coat well on all sides. Then drop into 360-degree vegetable oil and fry until golden brown on all sides, turning 2 to 3 times. Depending on the thickness of the fish, it should fry in approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with malt vinegar or Jalapeño Rémoulade Sauce.
Jalapeño Rémoulade Sauce
(Makes 1 cup)
2 jalapeño peppers
2 tablespoons freshly chopped Italian parsley
1 tablespoon capers, chopped
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons hot sauce
¾ cup mayonnaise
Pinch of hot smoked paprika
1 teaspoon Tony's Creole Blend
Roast the jalapeños on the grill or over an open flame (like a gas burner) until charred black on all sides. Once charred, place in a zip-lock bag or brown paper bag and allow to sweat for 8 to 10 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel and seed the jalapeños, and then place them in a smoker for 20 to 25 minutes. Finely dice the smoked jalapeños and combine with the rest of the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Whisk all ingredients together well.

2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

isawlogs

This has my mouth all watery....   :) 

I want to get a deep fryer to bring on fishing trips this summer, aint to much better then french fries and deep fried fish. A shore lunch with style.!   ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WmFritz

Sent to my printer!
Sure sounds good.  ;)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

LeeB

The Shiner Bock is pretty good even without the fish.  :D :D
Beer biscuits are good too. They will keep expanding after you eat though.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

isawlogs

Lee....  I don't need any more ''expantion''   ::)  But, battered fish deep fried and french fries !!!!!   digin_2
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

LeeB

:D Nor do I Marcel. I'm afraid if I  fall down I'll just roll away. smiley_roller
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

goose63

You guys are making me hungry now I got to go fishing 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Thank You Sponsors!