iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chilli ID?

Started by Ianab, July 23, 2014, 08:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Anyone recognise this? A mystery Chili

Mum's neighbour gave it to her to pass on to me, but only said it was a "hot" pepper?

NZ hot? (mild  :D)
Habanero hot? (tasty :) )
Bhut Jolokia hot? (weapons grade  :o)

Don't know. Anyway I've saved the seeds as instructed, and decided to make some chilli infused oil. That way I can dilute it if it's one of the dangerous ones. I wasn't game to just throw it in a stir fry and let the family test it.  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

goose63

Well if it burns going down and don't smell good in the morning its good chili :o
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

WDH

Looks pretty habaneroish  :).     fiddle-smiley hurt_smiley steve_smiley running-doggy
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

will cauterize your hemorrhoids
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ianab

A bit of online sleuthing makes me think it's a variety of Capsicum pubescens. Fairly hot, something like Cayenne or Tobasco maybe? The fruit are round like a tomato instead of the more normal capsicum or longer chilli shape. The seeds are also black coloured which is another clue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsicum_pubescens

Apparently it grows as a small shrub or tree and can fruit for ~15 years. Not sure how it it will survive winter here, but I'll try some seeds and plant them up against the house and see how they do.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on July 23, 2014, 09:49:06 PM
Looks pretty habaneroish  :).     fiddle-smiley hurt_smiley steve_smiley running-doggy

Good timeline.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

sawguy21

Quote from: goose63 on July 23, 2014, 09:18:15 PM
Well if it burns going down and don't smell good in the morning its good chili :o
:D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!