iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mice, .....again

Started by sprucebunny, August 11, 2005, 07:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

It was hot this morning.Went to get a culvert about 8:30. Had to wait to load it 'cause of big trucks unloading. Went to get a muffin and the mail. As I  ate the muffin there was things blowing around ....like maybe bugs ???         Nope........ mouse nest blowing out the dash vents  :o  YUK

Ten days ago it was condos ::)

Well....duplexes anyway

And before that it was the glove box ( gone, now..... the glove box .. ::) ) and the air filter...screened over.

Now I got a face full of nest ...

I ran it full blast high heat for 1/2 hour, twice and there were still noises from inside the heater/ac. Let it sit a couple hours and did it again. No noises now. They've either expired or moved ...

All I could picture when the nest materials were spewing out of the vents was a mouse flying out as if to prove that reality and cartoons aren't very far apart :D :D :D

Think  mothballs will help ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Dan_Shade

put a cat in there :)

my dad has an old international truck with a knuckleboom crane on it.  it's not road worthy, they just use it on the farm...  anyways, it ALWAYS has mice in it, i remember laughing really hard as a kid watching him try to smash them by slamming the door shut on them.

mothballs probably work, but choke you out in the process.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

gary

it is time to get some cats :D

Daren

My wife could tell this story better than I (It's her story, I just heard it from her). We had an old Ford Bronco we didn't use much, just for pulling. It was in good shape, just an extra vehicle and she found something she wanted to trade for we would use more. We took the back bench out and stored it in the garage so we could haul stuff in the back. Anyway, she was going to drive it to work and trade after. She leaves at 6:00 a.m, on the way out she realized I had forgot to throw the bench back in. She backs up to the garage, grabs the seat, heaves it in and takes off. Well not to make this story any longer, from being stored so long that darn thing was full of mice and babies. She hates them and she has a 30 mile drive in the dark flinging mice out the window as she is driving. :D
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Part_Timer

I hate that when that happens. :)

They like to build nests in the sparkplug are of the wood mizer.  I get it started and all of a sudden they come screaming out and across the toprail down my leg.  Scared the bejebbies out of me.  now I just watch out.    Oh ya.  Last winter they cost me a coil.  Chewed right through the wire.

I JUST LOVE MICE.  STIR FRIED in peanut sauce
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

sprucebunny

Good one, Daren :D
I had the same experience a couple of weeks ago.

And after that it was the air filter

Picked the mama up by the tail and 4 babies came with her ...

I think I'd need really small cats to sneak up the ductwork ..... whereever that may start ::)

This is my newest truck. I don't think they should be allowed to put computers in trucks untill they can figure out how to keep rodents OUT ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Furby

The cats will just wait them out, sooner or later the mice need to go for foor and the cats will get them.
I have a kitten that would be purrrrrfect for you............ ???

UNCLEBUCK

Hey s.b. you need my dog whitey the mouse killer ! Probably wouldnt have any seats left when she"s done but you can make new wood seats on your new sawmill ! Might need a new dash too but she"ll get them DanG New Hampshire mice !  :D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

CHARLIE

Set a few mouse traps each night and use peanut butter for bait.  Keep setting the traps until they are gone.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Frank_Pender

Do you mix and jam with the peanut butter?

Speaking of mice, the Rye grass growers here in the Willamette Valley sure got hit bad this year.  The little buggers destroyed up to 30% of some fields.   :'(  Perhaps some farmers should increase the number of old vehicles for them to set up housekeeping rather than their fields ;D
Frank Pender

Tom

....................or grow some peanuts too!    :D

Furby

Since I started the addition, there have been NO signs on mice inside the house.
Was cleaning out the old part of the basement a couple weeks ago and moved some stuff and there was a mouse.
Ran upstairs and got a flashlight and BB gun. ;D
Not much left in the old part of the basement, but couldn't find it again.
Went back upstairs a bit later and in the dim light thought I saw it running past my feet. This was clear across the house and in the addition. >:(
Tried to track it down and thought I saw it head into the bathroom but couldn't find it. Didn't know if I was seeing things or what.
Was going to put some poison out, but the last thing I wanted was to have that thing dead in the walls.........again. ::)
Next day I picked up four traps at the store and set them that night.
Got him!!!!! Still have the traps set just in case, but haven't gotten any more. 8)

UNCLEBUCK

My nephew tried that peanut butter on the trap thing and it worked great . I bought 2 mose traps with fake cheese allready on them and never got a thing, they went for the peanut butter . Choosy mousers choose Jif !  :D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Lenny_M

Sprucebunny
I`ve got a kitten if you want it.Tri collered female would make a good mouser.
we could have delivered her earlyer this week as we went up to the north country camping and fishing.got back yesterday afternoon
                                    Lenny

shopteacher

We've put in some of those ultrasonic mouse chasers and to my surprise I haven't heard or seen a mouse since.  We used to be wakened at night by them scratching in the walls.  Now, not a peep.  Put them in the basement and the shop and same thing.  I'm not really endorsing these things, but for me they sure have seemed to work.  I think you can get about 3 of them in a box store for about 10 or 12 bucks.  Got to get some for the barn, once I get it finished.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

D._Frederick

Be carefull of mice, in certain parts of the country mice carry the Hanta(sp) virus. You get it from working where there are mice dropping and breathing the air that has the virus. It kills a large % of people that get sick from the virus.

Tom

Yeah, D, but in some parts those mice are dinner.  ;D  I wonder what they taste like, squirrel maybe? :D :D

If we can't bring ourselves to toast mice, maybe we could find a market in Liberia.  It seems that the rich foods we use, make the population sick.  They aren't use to the grains and beans.   Maybe they could use the imported wheat to grow mice.  :D :D

I sense an entrepreneurial attack coming on.  ;D

jerry-m

Hey Spruce Bunny,

Moth Balls work pretty good for trucks, cars etc...  We use them all the time in our Camp Trailer at the farm...  Also use them around our boats while in storage...  Of course if you can locate a mouse trap in your truck its a sure fire way to tell if you got him or not 8)
  Have Fun,   Jerry

P S, What D. Fredric Said,  Very dangerous in some parts of the country...
Jerry

Daren

I told my wife I posted her story and she reminded me of another. A woman she used to work with caught one on a "sticky trap", she was so freaked out by the fact is was still alive and making noise she grabbed it with salad tongs and took it out. She gets to the garbage can on the curb (she lives in the middle of town) and the trap is stuck to the tongs. She starts banging the tongs and trap on the top edge of the can. It comes loose alright... flies right back and lands sticky side down (mouse still kickin') right on her shoulder. She jerks her shirt off throws it away and runs in the house in her bra. I would imagine screaming the whole way. :D
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

leweee

Daren
:D :D :D LMAOROTF :D :D :D too funny 8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

SwampDonkey

Talk about getting stuck up.  ::) We had a cat that liked window sills. One of the sills in the house had a sticky fly trap and the cat got in it in the night. It was all stuck with goo from head to tail and talk about the running and squeeling from a cat.  The vet had to cut the goo outta it's fur. :D

In the lumber camps we'de fill a 3 gallon pale with water, then take a tin can and knock out the ends and put a stiff wire through it. Then coat the can with peanut butter, then strattle the wired can across the top of the pale. Then place a small plank as a ramp for the mice to climb up to the can. They'll jump from the plank over onto the peanut butter coated can and roll off into the pale of water and drown. Sometimes we'de have 3 or 4 mice in the pale by morning. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

gary

Try puting a bowl with ammonia in it in your truck.Mice hate the smell I put it in my camper and then stand back and watch the mice come running out of it. It doesn't take long leave it in overnight with the doors closed and the windows up . They should be gone by morning

Tom

Ah-h-h   The old peanut butter on the can on the wire, drown the mouse in bucket trick, eh?  :D :D

In School, our barracks had an ample supply of mice.  For entertainment we would attach a towel to the side of our wastebasket and weight the bottom with our shoes to form a  ramp.  Then we would sprinkle crackers up the towel.  The mice would go up the towel and fall into the wastebasket where they couldn't get out.   It was great fun and we would see who could catch the most in an evening.  The record was 8, as far as I'm aware.

We had no intentions of harming them though.  They were usually taken outside somewhere and turned loose. :)

CHARLIE

DanG Tom!!!!  I never knew we had mice in the barracks!  If I'd have known that, I'd have caught them and turned them loose in other people's rooms. I would have had a lot of fun. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

SwampDonkey

They should never have let you two outta the barracks.  ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!