iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Flat belts ???

Started by Chief402, June 07, 2017, 04:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief402

Looking for 4 inch flat belts for a Circle Sawmill. Forward and Reverse drive belts are what I need. I'm fine with buying new if anyone can recommend a business or individual that will have them. Thanks for your help.

Kbeitz

I bought flat belts from Erie Bearing in Milton Pa.

http://www.eriebearings.com/
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Trapper John

I bought belting and a vice style clipper tool from Bahcall Rubber, Kaukauna, Wi.  800 456 0152.  www.bahcallrubber.com. 

OldSmoke

Haven't tried it myself but I have heard of people getting used belting out of the big round balers and using that. Might be worth looking into.
Woodland Mills HM126
Timberking M-14 sawmill
Stihl 024
Stihl MS661

bandmiller2

Chief, don't know what part of the country your in but most areas have old engine/tractor shows theirs always someone with belting and lacers for sale. Some like rubberized cotton belts others leather. Length is quite critical an you don't want a carriage that creeps or is grabby. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chief402

Thanks everybody for the help. bandmiller2 I'm located in eastern Ky. My mill had leather belts but they were old deteriorated and too short. There​ wasn't any nuetral position left. It was either forward or reverse with the setup the previous owner had. You had to continuely hold the stick to keep the carriage in position to turn or load a log. Leather or rubber either one is fine with me as far as material goes as long as it works safely !!

bandmiller2

Chief, save your old belts and make the new a little longer. A good feed belt is of upmost importance as it is your carriage brake when giging back. A carriage with large log is the weight of an auto and that feed belt is your only brake. My Chase mill uses whats called a friction drive a small soft face flat pulley that's pressed agenst a large flat cast iron pulley, gig back is a belt though. Your two belt husk is whats called a "Heacock" drive and works well when the belts are good and the right length. Tell us more about your mill. Frank C.

D6c

Quote from: OldSmoke on June 09, 2017, 05:15:54 PM
Haven't tried it myself but I have heard of people getting used belting out of the big round balers and using that. Might be worth looking into.

That's what I was going to suggest....any dealer that sells big balers can make up a belt in whatever length you need, as long as they have the right width.
4" might be on the narrow side.  The balers I've been around don't use much below 6"

FloridaMike

Hope I'm not breaking any rules... but Tractor Supply has some rubberized 4" and lacing in stock near you:  https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/baler-belting-2-ply-4-in-x-60-in

I had a couple years of saw time on a 00 Frick... having a "honest" free stick neutral, is a very good thing!
Mike

Davek603

Woodmizer LT50 and lots of iron to go with it

steamsawyer

Hey Chief, what kind of mill do you have? Most often there is an idler on the reverse belt that can be adjusted to put more slack in the belts. You need a generous amount of travel on the stick between forward and reverse so both belts are slack enough that they don't get a chance to flap and start jerking.

I had to rig up a little return spring to hold my lever in the neutral position. Here's a picture. Real simple, with a small turnbuckle for adjustment. The Idler is on the far side of the husk from where this return spring is.

Alan

J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

henry-sawer

Hi,my first post. I've been lurking for several years. I'm looking for a belt also, did you ever find one?

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

moodnacreek

The tractor supply stores have belting and splicing [for round balers] that should work.

Gearbox

Baler belts will not work on a mill they are made to stretch . I made a new one out of some kind of rubber and when it got cold is shrunk to the point that it backed up when I started the mill . Found a old piece in the mill shed good to go now .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

moodnacreek

bandmiller2

If your at the right place at the right time industrial conveyer belting works well. Chief if your really hard up clipper lace a section of 1 1/2" fire hose. I'm using a length of 2 1/2" fire hose for a sawdust belt on my mill. Frank C.

moodnacreek

Come to think of it; Sthall's logging [ and sawmill supply]  north of harrisberg Pa. has 4" feed belting.

henry-sawer

I just ordered one from Hitnmiss, good price and friendly people to deal with.

Kbeitz

Quote from: henry-sawer on October 30, 2017, 09:08:36 PM
I just ordered one from Hitnmiss, good price and friendly people to deal with.

I have a lot of Hit and miss engines and I have ordered lot of parts from them.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!