iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Load of logs now need blades help

Started by LoneDuck, October 23, 2017, 10:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoneDuck

Nice load of Beatle killed pine but need a blade that will cut it. I would like to try the kasco but don't know how to contact cutting edge. When I pull him up in members I get an message saying that I do not have access. So any help would be appreciated. My current blades dive like crazy on the knots and hope kasco has a blade that will cut it.  Thanks

btulloh

You can buy from kasko. Have to buy 15 though. But that's a good thing. 7 degree or 4 degree.  Seven degree is a good general purpose blade. If you put the type of mill in your profile it will help people give better input too.
HM126

gmmills

Send him a PM or call him at 304-878-3343.
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

btulloh

Sawing fast causes more diving. I push my mill and it helps to slow down for knots. Don't know how that works with power feed.
HM126

JB Griffin

I believe that you will find that 4deg blades would be better than most in knotty pine.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

LoneDuck

Thanks. I'm now able to pull them up in members. Thought I had my mill in but I must not but it's a 98 lt40 Hd. This is my second load a neighbor gave to me. Tried to cut some slabs but just to meany dips and didn't want to waste any more.

Kbeitz

I use 4 deg.  kasco blades. This summer I cut a lot of pine. I was getting some dives at knots.
I had nothing to loose so I almost doubled my set. It made a world of difference. No more dives
until I got a sap buildup on the blades. A little diesel took care of that. I'm making a lot of saw
dust but I'm getting so much of a better cut. My set is around .030 +/- now for pine for a .045
blade. After messing with the set I'm getting my best cuts ever.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Jeff

You didn't have access to any member profiles because you didn't have any posts. You can't see member profiles until you have a level of participation.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

LoneDuck

Thanks Jeff but I have posted before but maybe too much time has past. Haven't had much time to stay up to date.

Jeff

You now have 4 total posts because of this topic.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Chuck White

I cut mostly W/Pine and Hemlock, and I use 10° blades set at .025-.030 with good results!

If a log is knotty, such as Spruce, I  s l o w  down my feed speed!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

GAB

I changed my pressure gauge for one that is 0 to 5000 psi.
Running with 3200 psi has helped me to get straighter cuts.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

alanh

I`m still kinda new at this but I`ve cut about 3500 bd ft of knotty pine with Woodmizer 4 degree blades with little to no diving. I`ll add that most of the logs had been down a while so the sap buildup was minimal. I use a little dawn or simple green in the water tank. It also could have something to do with I only have the 18hp(?) gas motor so I have to go pretty slow.

LoneDuck

Great info guys. When I bought my mill, it came with 30 or 40 blades and I've no clue what they are. All I now is they are wood mizer and I've been having them sharpen them. In the future I would like to keep records and start to see what works best but not knowing I'm sawing blind.

delvis

4 degree blades work well in knots and dense hard wood.  I use the Turbo 7 for just about everything else.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

esteadle

So let's summarize:

Kbeitz says widen the set for knotty pine. around .030 +/- for a .045 thickness blade. I agree!

Adding soap to the drip mix helps. Or use diesel or kero.
And letting more drip go thru to help keep the blade cleaner.

Tighter band tension should help on the knots.

And slower feed speed.

And 4° blades.

All of those should help.

larrydown60

LoneDuck I am new to milling I have been cutting white pine and spruce I get really smooth cuts with the 10 degree and I can cut faster with the 7 degree with not as smooth cut I have a 20hp kohler command homemade mill

Sixacresand

Quote from: LoneDuck on October 24, 2017, 08:50:45 PM
Great info guys. When I bought my mill, it came with 30 or 40 blades and I've no clue what they are. All I now is they are wood mizer and I've been having them sharpen them. In the future I would like to keep records and start to see what works best but not knowing I'm sawing blind.
A gauge from WM can help you determine what degree blade you have.

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

redprospector

I saw more Pine than anything else, and a Pine without knots is pretty rare around here.
When a tooth removes wood (sawdust), the piece of wood expands. Pine will expand a lot more than hardwoods do, so the Pine will need more set. I set most of my blades at 25 thousands each side. The more pitch a log has, the more set you'll likely want. I just slow down on pitchy logs instead of trying to keep track of a bunch of different blades. I'm using Cook's Supersharps, I think 8 degrees.
If you don't have to slow down for the big knots, you may not be sawing fast enough between them.  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Kbeitz

From my experience spruce is so much harder to cut than pine.
I just cut some that had knots every 6". What a pain. Talk about slow...
Nice looking wood.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

I think I could count the spruce I have on 2 hands on my land. Than on one hand I could count how many would make logs.
I only cut spruce once. More electricity was being put in above me. A good size spruce log was going to rot beside the road. Me,being the hate to see logs go to waste,went and got it. I should've used it for firewood before I cut it. It went into the burn pile. No sense in me buying a blade to saw some spruce when I don't have many logs.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

terrifictimbersllc

Customer needed one more 8x8 at 4:30 pm last Saturday. 

I look up and see him bringing a 25" spruce toward me, knots everywhere could have been the national Christmas tree.

Shook my head and pointed him back to the log pile. Found another pine instead.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Kbeitz

I don't think spruce is good for nothing more than paneling.
Around here we don't have any clear spruce. It's all knots.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chuck White

Spruce makes good framing material & beams, the trick is to cut it straight!   ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kbeitz

Quote from: Chuck White on October 27, 2017, 08:37:40 AM
Spruce makes good framing material & beams, the trick is to cut it straight!   ;)

I would not use it in any beams for my buildings. With all the knots it can't
be strong...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!