iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade guide arm

Started by Hale87, August 03, 2011, 02:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hale87

I was wondering how the blade guide arm on your mill works? At some point I would like to do a retro to Cook's bearing guides. I don't like mine now because it's so flimsy. (Yeah I know it's a Hudson.) I don't think it seats down true everytime. Overall I think it's junk. I doubt very much that it will give me adequate down pressure on the blade when I convert. No sense in converting if I can't get a quality arm to hold the guide.
So, I'm wondering what two pieces of material your mill uses to slide inside one another?
Thanks

Here's mine now.

2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

rbarshaw

Mine is about the same but, it's welded along the entire length of the outer tube and, the inner tube is 2"X2" 1/4"thick.

Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

robnrob2

Mine is very similar, and like rbarshaw it is welded along the entire length, or spotted along the length,, Do I see where yours is only attached with the square tubing at the end there ??
If so I wouldn't rebuild it, I believe if the mill head will allow, come off above with more support and then brace down to the other side of it, to beef that one up, just be sure you got room for your hands on the Tee handle, and it doesn't interfere with any other movement of the machine.

york

Look at close and you can see why,the outer two inch sq. tube,is offset-the thinner metal the encloses the Band-wheel is not in alignment with the band-wheel bearing support-we need more pictures......bert
Albert

Hale87

Quote from: york on August 04, 2011, 08:51:38 AM
Look at close and you can see why,the outer two inch sq. tube,is offset-the thinner metal the encloses the Band-wheel is not in alignment with the band-wheel bearing support-we need more pictures......bert
You have me a little bit confussed? Yes the arm is offset from the upright that the head is mounted to. It's offset to allow room for the guard. The guide is pretty close to being parallel to the blade. It's not perfect and that's one more reason to cut it off and start over. The upright isn't that substantial either but I can't change that, but yes I think when I redo it I'll try and beef up the connection.
Thanks for the input.
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

kelLOGg

The guide arm on my MP32 is 1.5" tube 3/16" wall and it slides in a 2" tube with 3/16" wall. Max travel is about 26". I have never suspected it wasn't stout enough to maintain the roller bearing in a stable manner.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

york

Hale87,

was at Empire farm days and looked at your mill,both Hudson and WM were there-your right the band guide looks kinda lame,but looks as if you could weld in a gusset between the 2 in. outer tube and below to the head main frame.Bert
Albert

Thank You Sponsors!