iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Been a long long time since I last visited

Started by Bothy_Loon, August 07, 2011, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bothy_Loon

It has been a long time since I last commented on here. Never forgot about you though as I was met with nothing but friendliness on here.
I used to use a Lumbermate which I still have & run occasionally now. It served me well but with the type of logs/sawing I do I needed something that was a bit faster among smaller logs. I mill right down to 4-5inch dia as i mill a lot of fencing.
This is a shot of my Stenner 36 band rack bench which I have been running now for the last two years or so.
Having also (hopefully) managed to post a picture, I hope to post lots more on here over the next few months. Hope you find my scottish escapades interesting. :D

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

fishpharmer

Hi bothy,
Glad your back.  Interesting mill you show.
Looking forward to pics.
Fish
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Bothy_Loon

Thank you both. I hope to be able to stay around this time! ;D

Larry

Welcome back Bothy :)...you have been gone for a long time.

Never heard of Stenner until today.  A fascinating company in business since 1875.  A quick look at there site found a saw capable of feeding 120m/minute...that's flat out flying.  Reminds me a bit of our Tannewitz company making high quality and heavy machinery.  There just a few years younger.

Tell us a bit more about your mill and what you process.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WH_Conley

About time you showed back up. :D Might be able to handle Scottish escapes. Scotland and Ireland is where my ancestors are from.
Bill

Texas Ranger

Mine, also, and I certainly enjoy their national product. 8)

Welcome back.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Bothy_Loon

Thanks folks. I will take the camera with me today & take a few shots of what I get up to! Well apart from the snooze at mid-day!
:D

SwampDonkey

Scots? Hmph, if not for Scotland, Ireland and France this place would still be wilderness. As the old explorers would say, going by markings on ancient charts of the globe, "Here be dragons". :D

Someone came up with the idea for television, a reality show called "Dragon's Den". So it must be true. ;D

Welcome back!
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ljmathias

Welcome, Bothy, love to hear and see more about your mill.  Interesting design, looks like, and at those speeds, must be really heavy built- not a portable I would guess.

As an aside and not to steal your thread, but my daughter leaves today for Glasgow- she's attending the piping Worlds competition there, and is an accomplished piper, in fact.  She'll be there 11 days this trip but tied up the whole time.

Where are you located there?  Love to come visit on a future trip, if I can line one up...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Magicman

I am looking forward to reading your posts and enjoying your pictures.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mad murdock

a hearty welcome back Bothy!  Very interesting mill you got there!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Bothy_Loon

Quote from: ljmathias on August 08, 2011, 06:11:35 AM
Welcome, Bothy, love to hear and see more about your mill.  Interesting design, looks like, and at those speeds, must be really heavy built- not a portable I would guess.

As an aside and not to steal your thread, but my daughter leaves today for Glasgow- she's attending the piping Worlds competition there, and is an accomplished piper, in fact.  She'll be there 11 days this trip but tied up the whole time.

Where are you located there?  Love to come visit on a future trip, if I can line one up...

Lj

The Worlds are quite something to hear. Sweet sweet music. I am not a piper but did work for a bagpipe maker for a short while.  I will not be at the World's this year though or it would have been good to say hello to your daughter. Which band is she in?
I am located on the east of Scotland. Mill is just outside Forfar which is the county town of Angus. Lies mid way between Aberdeen & Edinburgh.
It would be great to meet up with a few of the folks from this forum, so if you are ever coming this way, come & say hello.

DanG

Welcome back Loon! 8) 8)  I was concerned that we might not see you again.  Sure hope you can stick around this time.

Congrats to your Daughter LJ!  She must be accomplished if she's going to the World competition.  I wish her good fortune and look forward to a report. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ljmathias

Thanks, guys- but daughter is not competing this year.  She had a band lined up to play with (not too many here in the South) but with work on the new house and getting out of her old one into a temporary house, it's been a busy last few months so she didn't get to practice enough with them to make it work.  It is neat the way the work it out, though, and it's also how she does her weekly lessons with an instructor near Edinburgh: via Skype, which is cheap enough and has good enough sound quality that the lessons are actually productive.  She also teaches students here in Mississippi but does that face to face.

On one of her previous trips there, she tried marketing for a reed maker at the Worlds, just for fun.  Turned out, even though she only worked a couple of days, she did more business for them than their full timers, so they're paying her expenses this year to work with them full time.  She'll also work hard with her teacher there, a policeman piper name of Neal who just got his next ranking for teaching piping- and I didn't even know they had rankings!

Sorry, didn't mean to steal the thread, but bringing it full circle: yes, I'd love to come visit and we'll plan on going next year.  The house will be done, daughter will be back in competition and I'll have business over there anyway (I hope- assuming I still have a job given the crash happening right now?).

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Bothy_Loon

Quote from: DanG on August 08, 2011, 06:54:45 PM
Welcome back Loon! 8) 8)  I was concerned that we might not see you again.  Sure hope you can stick around this time.

Congrats to your Daughter LJ!  She must be accomplished if she's going to the World competition.  I wish her good fortune and look forward to a report. :)

Thank you kind sir. ;D
I have taken control of my life again so hopefully I can keep sending you some pics of the things I get up to these days. ;)

Bothy_Loon

Quote from: ljmathias on August 08, 2011, 09:03:19 PM
Thanks, guys- but daughter is not competing this year.  She had a band lined up to play with (not too many here in the South) but with work on the new house and getting out of her old one into a temporary house, it's been a busy last few months so she didn't get to practice enough with them to make it work.  It is neat the way the work it out, though, and it's also how she does her weekly lessons with an instructor near Edinburgh: via Skype, which is cheap enough and has good enough sound quality that the lessons are actually productive.  She also teaches students here in Mississippi but does that face to face.

On one of her previous trips there, she tried marketing for a reed maker at the Worlds, just for fun.  Turned out, even though she only worked a couple of days, she did more business for them than their full timers, so they're paying her expenses this year to work with them full time.  She'll also work hard with her teacher there, a policeman piper name of Neal who just got his next ranking for teaching piping- and I didn't even know they had rankings!

Sorry, didn't mean to steal the thread, but bringing it full circle: yes, I'd love to come visit and we'll plan on going next year.  The house will be done, daughter will be back in competition and I'll have business over there anyway (I hope- assuming I still have a job given the crash happening right now?).

Lj

Very interesting, to hear about how your daughter is getting on in the piping world. No need to worry about stealing the thread either. ;D
Look forward to meting you if you get over next year.
I like talking about making sawdust. :D

Thank You Sponsors!