iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

14" draw knives

Started by Jim_Rogers, March 11, 2009, 04:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Recently we got a new old tool in stock.

What I mean by that is we got some brand new tools, never used, but were made a long time ago. The tools are 14" draw knives. They are still in the original packaging from the factory.
They are the Greenlee brand.
We were told that these were made for Bell Telephone however there isn't any "Bell Telephone" stamp on them, or a Greenlee stamp either.

The are called 24" draw knives but that is measured from handle to handle. The blade is only 14" long.

If anyone would like one of these, we've got six on hand we can send you one.....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Larry

Jim, that is really a big draw knife compared to the ones I have seen.  Do you know why it is so long?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Jim_Rogers

We were told it was used with telephone poles, but we really don't know how it was used other than just shaping the pole.....

ljmathias

I have trouble enough with the short one I have (draw knife, that is) and I wouldn't have the strength or skill to use one that big.  Good luck, though.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

semologger

I don't know how long the one we have is. Its about wore out though. We just use a large knife. The post peeler usually just has a little on the end it misses. unless the post are crooked it leaves more bark and the draw knife works the best. What is the going price of those knives?

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: semologger on March 11, 2009, 10:04:46 PM
What is the going price of those knives?

$70 plus shipping.....

Can we box one up for you?

Jim Rogers

jander3

Jim,

Are these draw knives a bevel up or bevel down design?

Jon

semologger

thanks but i will be alright for awhile longer.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: jander3 on March 12, 2009, 08:29:11 PM
Jim,

Jon

Jon: All draw knives work best when you use it with the bevel down. That way you can control the depth of cut; you just roll your wrists. Rolling down makes it cut deeper, rolling it up makes it cut less.

Hopefully that answers your question.

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

witterbound

Jim, is there somewhere here where I can see pics of the slicks and chisels you've got for sale?  Thx.

Jim_Rogers

Rooster

Yah Dere Hey ,

If someone walked up to me..... and dropped off a telephone pole and one of Jim's new/old draw knives... and then they asked me what I could do with them?...I'd first ask if I could keep the draw knife...then I would take my handsaw out of my front pocket....cut two- 2" deep kerfs, 4" apart...about 18" from the top of the pole....then use the draw knife to make a flat spot between the kerfs....so that I could bolt  a 4X4 cross piece to hang lines from.

But that's just one guy talkin'!! :D

Maybe Jim can make a contest out of this.....with a new/old drawknife as the PRIZE!! ??? 8)

Whadayatink?

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Jim_Rogers

Three left for sale......

witterbound

I actually have a large draw knife, that looks just like this one, but I believe mine is made by a different company.  I bought it recently at an antique tool show.  Anyway, it's a fantastic draw knife.  I really like it's size.  I've used it to strip bark from the live edges of 6x10 beams, as well as braces.  For the braces, my favorite position is to sit on the braces, which are sitting on a tressel.  One of the few situations in timber framing where you can use your butt when you're not taking a break!

ljmathias

witterbound: I'm not too sure what a tressel is- wikipedia said "tressel" is another name for "trestle" but that's used for bridges mainly.  Are you talking about a sawhorse of some kind?  Pictures?

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

witterbound

Yep, just a timber frame saw horse.  Sometimes  I call it a a tressel.  Don't know why.

WAGZ

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on March 13, 2009, 06:01:17 AM
Quote from: jander3 on March 12, 2009, 08:29:11 PM
Jim,

Jon

Jon: All draw knives work best when you use it with the bevel down. That way you can control the depth of cut; you just roll your wrists. Rolling down makes it cut deeper, rolling it up makes it cut less.

Hopefully that answers your question.

Jim Rogers
Not completely true Jim, I have a Draw knife made by "Granfors Bruks" in sweden made specifically for log building and it is meant for bevel up use, and man does it peel logs like nobody's business!!  the other builders at the yard I worked in last summer were blown away by it, they mostly use "Barr" knives or similar homemade models, this knife I have is a different design the handles come straight out the ends sorta like a handlebar, and the blade is curved two ways..... if you've never seen one, its worth a look ....

Cheers,

Wagz
I'd do the same for somebody I liked !!

Jim_Rogers

Wagz:
I guess I'll have to adjust my comments to say "most of the draw knives I've seen are to be used bevel down........"

Jim Rogers

moonhill

I use my draw knife bevel up and bevel down depending on what I am doing and how much wood needs removing .  It is kind a like the hydraulic levers on my mill, loader or any contraption, I am not thinking what my hands are doing, the same applies to the draw knife and its bevel, so don't ask or I will have to go try it to find out.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Jim_Rogers

Only one left right now.....

jander3

All my draw knives for log peeling where bevel up. I purchase a bevel down draw knife from Barr that was designed for bevel side down, which I liked much better. I think the angle of the handles defines how they are designed.  If the handles are not titled, I think you can use it either way.

Jim_Rogers

We have at least one draw knife for sale, not one of these long ones that has adjustable handles so you can set the angle you want the blade to be at.
I haven't photographed it yet, but will if it doesn't sell this Friday when I make a tool trip to VT.

It is on the tools for sale list in the for sale section of this forum.

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

We are sold out of these long blade draw knives...

Thank You Sponsors!