iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Table….hopefully.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 01, 2014, 09:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've been working with this Sycamore Stump for about a week. Got'er all sanded down.
The top is a Red Oak cookie that has been drying for over 20 years....hard as a brick and as heavy as an Anvil.
I got the cookie from my Dad who got it from his old home place from a tree in families back yard.

I was gonna use it for the table top but I'm thinking it's a little to small in diameter....26 inches.
I just sent Scott Smith a PM hoping he has a cookie in the 40ish inch range.

We'll see. Got my fingers crossed.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

mmartone

Looks pretty cool, how bout some kind of band/breadboard around the outside with a skirt? Make the surface larger without incuring the additional weight?
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

clww

I see a cool looking table, too. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WDH

The base really grabs the floor nicely. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ron barnes

WmFritz

Quote from: WDH on January 02, 2014, 12:00:19 AM
The base really grabs the floor nicely.

I thought that stump was growing out of the floor.  :o
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

ancjr

Our ERC grows with that form here.  The Sycamores look like utility poles with limbs!  Looks to be a promising project!

JohnM

Wow, that oughta keep the edges of the rug down! :o  Looks pretty cool, David.  Nice work. :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

drobertson

Yea, nice and sturdy, should be a dandy! with history, hate to hit my toe on that one ;D   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

21incher

Great table. Are you going to oil it or leave it natural? I would have to watch my dog around that table because it looks like a tree growing out of the floor.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm still looking for a larger diameter top....so I won't stump my toe on the stump.  :D

Finish???? I have no idea.  :)......yet.  ;D

clww

Does the top have to be round?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: clww on January 02, 2014, 09:33:47 PM

Yes. I figured the ratio of the slant of the roots coming from the stump to the floor were in proportion to the diameter of a cermetrical top would be lacking if a square top were installed.
47.4° xMC squared(5.76 +[6.437 divided into 13.5] x11.12)= round top.

See what I'm talking about. This is why I'm looking for a round top.

Ask WDH....He can explain it better than me. :)

WDH

You need to cube the moisture content.  Just squaring it makes for an undersized top. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on January 02, 2014, 09:58:37 PM
You need to cube the moisture content.  Just squaring it makes for an undersized top.

say_what I never thought about that.  smiley_book2_page OK....I see it now..

clww

smiley_dizzy smiley_dizzy smiley_dizzy
Okay....
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

jamesamd

I see a Cat,in the white of the base :o

This is going to be special,Nice David  ;)

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: jamesamd on January 02, 2014, 10:09:29 PM
I see a Cat,in the white of the base :o

This is going to be special,Nice David  ;)

Jim

I see it too Jim....never noticed it.

ancjr

Carve muscular Taurus figures into the buttresses, posed as if they are holding up the top.  4" thick marble top.  ;)

pineywoods

a 4 inch slice of this would work real nice. It's red oak, about 48 inches across. We can work out a deal, but you gotta come to loosiana to get it.  ;D
The only thing available to slice it is an old fashioned 2 man crosscut..
OOps, I forgot yhe pic, here tis

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: pineywoods on January 03, 2014, 12:40:32 PM
a 4 inch slice of this would work real nice. It's red oak, about 48 inches across. We can work out a deal, but you gotta come to loosiana to get it.  ;D

Sorry Piney......say again.....I lost your signal.....you were breaking up.  ;D

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 03, 2014, 12:44:24 PM
Quote from: pineywoods on January 03, 2014, 12:40:32 PM

Sorry Piney......say again.....I lost your signal.....you were breaking up.  ;D

Poston,

You and Piney go ahead and start without me.

Be real careful and do a real good job.

I'll take two of those slabs, but at Piney's price (we all know how much YOU charge for slabs...)

Herb

Holmes

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 02, 2014, 09:47:36 PM

Yes. I figured the ratio of the slant of the roots coming from the stump to the floor were in proportion to the diameter of a cermetrical top would be lacking if a square top were installed.
47.4° xMC squared(5.76 +[6.437 divided into 13.5] x11.12)= round top.

See what I'm talking about. This is why I'm looking for a round top.

Ask WDH....He can explain it better than me. :)

I did the math. You are both wrong Trees just don't grow that big.  :D  I believe one of your X should be a %  and squared should be square "root"  ;)
Think like a farmer.

thecfarm

Is it sold yet? Looks good. Real good.I suppose the stump came from what the tree service drops off?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on January 04, 2014, 07:29:20 PM
I suppose the stump came from what the tree service drops off?

You are exactly right Ray. If one has an imagination.....a tree service can be helpful.

Thank You Sponsors!