iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut coffee table

Started by Den-Den, January 28, 2014, 02:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den-Den

This is the second of a set of two tables I made for a friend (his walnut tree), it is just under 4 ft across the long corners.  The two tables will be a book-matched pair.  The voids were filled with epoxy (tinted with graphite). The base is basically a staved cylinder that has been turned (also walnut).
This was a big part of the motivation toward building a mill as these were cut with a chain-saw which left a lot of work and wasted a lot of wood mostly due to the saw being too small and my skills with a chain-saw are not great.   

You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ron barnes

That is a nice piece of walnut.  Love walnut.

mesquite buckeye

Very cool. 8) 8) 8)

Looking forward to seeing the pair finished. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

WDH

The butterflys are a nice touch.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

coxy

keep up the good work 8) 8) 8)

dablack

Its even better lookin in person.  Nice job Dennis.
Building my own house in East TX

ely

we ran several feet of trim thru the shaper last night out of walnut and it does look some beautiful, cant wait to get it stuck on the wall and finished.

lowpolyjoe

Looks great.  I do like the butterflies.

How did you take the rough chainsaw-sawn lumber to a useful state?  I have a planning jig setup with my router, but it's labor/time intensive.  Wondering if you have any other suggestions.

Hope we'll be seeing more pics  :)

Lud

Chain sawn lumber to a useful state quickly?  Use a big straight edge and mark the super high points and Use a hand held electric planer like I got cheaply at HF a number of years ago.  Reduce the bite and keep measuring and marking and taking off the highs.  A hand held grinder with a 35 disc can be a timesaver,  then a sanding progression. 

Not going to be mirror smooth but looks good to the average viewer.

After the 35 I'd bet your router would get it in one pass! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

lowpolyjoe

Thanks for the advice Lud.  Sounds like a good idea.  I"ve been taking MANY passes with my router jig to flatten my chainsaw cut lumber.  It's slow and its not doing my planing bit any favors.  Maybe next time I get a 20% coupon i'll try picking up one of those HF hand held planers.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Den-Den

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on January 28, 2014, 04:54:36 PM
Very cool. 8) 8) 8)

Looking forward to seeing the pair finished. ;D

Delivered today and he put it next to the first one and took this pic.

Quote from: lowpolyjoe on January 29, 2014, 11:19:21 AM
Looks great.  I do like the butterflies.

How did you take the rough chainsaw-sawn lumber to a useful state?  I have a planning jig setup with my router, but it's labor/time intensive.  Wondering if you have any other suggestions.

Hope we'll be seeing more pics  :)

I used a router setup also; it is quite slow but does a good job.  I will get a handheld planer for the next one.  Eventually I will have some slabs from the bandmill dry; they will take a lot less cleanup.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

coxy

Den-Den  I will pm you with my address so you can send me one for Christmas I will be looking for it a few days before the 25 and thanks for the gift :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) just joking  my wife likes it told me she wants one I said as soon as YOU  buy me a mill ill make you one  :D ;D :) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) got the most meanest looking face I ever saw  so I don't think she is getting it for me  :'( :'(

SwampDonkey

Nothing wrong with those. Walnut is nice wood. I used to be able to get walnut here, but my source has gone out of business. I have a couple on the lawn, but I have a long time to wait. :D ;)

You fellas to the south have lots of stuff we don't. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

They look very happy together.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

I have a big 2" dia flat bit that I use for planing with the router. This gets bolted to to a wooden jig on the mill, and i then just run the carriage up and down the rails. Side and height adjust are done on the mill.

With a 2400w router and that big bit you can chew away a fair bit of material if needed.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Is that 50 htz power? We're on 60 htz over here. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

21incher

Great looking tables. Walnut is my favorite wood but I usually just saw the straight logs and cut the crotches up for firewood as they don't fit on my little saw. After seeing your tables that is going to change. Due to your post I see a chainsaw with about a 3 ft ripping bar in my future.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Jemclimber

They look beautiful and the butterflies look great too. How did you attach the top to the base?
lt15

Thank You Sponsors!