iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Haul Road Heroes and SuperTrucker Shenanigans

Started by mike_belben, January 17, 2019, 05:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

Every so often a speed plow catches a guardrail and it's a quick trip backwards into the ditch. It would be an exciting ride. Wudman's story reminds of a guy who drove for one of my friends. He had a load of tires for Mackenzie, north of Prince George BC. The load didn't arrive on the scheduled day or the next, nobody knew where he was. No GPS or cell phones in those days. He finally called from Smithers, 200 miles west of PG, wanting to know how to find his destination!! He was so frazzled he couldn't find his way back to PG, there is only the road he came in on, so a driver came in a pickup to rescue the idiot. Needless to say that was his first and last trip for them. Where do they find these guys?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Wudman

Guardrail -- how about a light pole.  One of my contract crews had a driver they called "Shorty".  Shorty had earned his name.  He couldn't reach the pedals in the tractor and actually had extension blocks on everything so he could reach......and Shorty was still turning a wheel at 80 years old. 

A new pole had been set at the entrance to one of our roads.  They set a guy wire just out of the ditch line.  Coming into the highway, a truck had to cross over the center line before beginning to turn in order to clear that guy.  Shorty failed to do so.  The trailer wheels hung the guy and broke that pole completely off and damaged the cross arms on a pole in each direction.  Shorty was headed to the mill and had drug that one pole about 100 feet before he saw that something was following him.  Shorty retired thereafter.

I still have a couple of problems with the power company and new poles.  I have two tracts where they sat a pole on one side of the access road and anchored the guy on the other.  I'll have to see about having them moved before I can get back into them with a tractor trailer.  Such is life.

Wudman 

"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Wudman

One other event just popped to mind.  This was years ago.  I was travelling down the Downtown Expressway in Richmond, VA.  It was about daylight and still very little traffic on the road.  A 10 wheeler came down an onramp and merged in front of me.  He was about 1/4 mile ahead.  He had high sides on the truck and was loaded with used tires well above his sides.  As we approached an underpass I could see that he didn't have adequate clearance to get under it.  He peeled the top row of the stack off.  There were tires bouncing everywhere.  It would have made for a good video. 

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels

Kwill

This is one of the best super trucker moments I have witnessed.11 ton gross bridge. He was way over weight before he was loaded. :D

Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

barbender

I'm amazed by some of the people that manage to get a CDL. It's scary! I've got kind of a "Shorty" hauling for me right now, he can't hear very well, can't see very well either. I don't think he was probably a real swell driver before those impediments set in, either😂 But, I get him loaded and pointed towards the mill, and he always comes back😂
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

:o

Howd that story end?  What they fish the rig out with?

Was he haulin shelled corn?  The deer wont mind.
Praise The Lord

Wudman

And let's not forget the GPS......that thing didn't come from the same authority as the Ten Commandments.  I was out in the "boondocks" (old saying) one day and a container truck flagged me down.  He was going from the Amelia, VA area over to Cumberland, VA.  His "Professional Trucker GPS" had routed him this way.  The one problem was a single lane 3 ton bridge with a 9 foot overhead clearance crossing the Appomattox River (on a dirt road).  At least he didn't try to cross it.  I'll give him credit where due......he backed that truck for a mile and a half to get back to a cross roads where he could turn around.

A similar situation for one of my exports.  I had provided directions to access the tract from the west.  (My fault there.  I had "assumed" that all port traffic would be coming from the four lane.)  The driver was following his GPS and he had come cross country and was coming in from the east.....The only problem was a single lane 6 ton bridge 1/2 mile east of my entrance.  The driver told me he puckered a little bit, but came on across it. 

One of my friends owns a towing business here in town.  Over the last month, he has retrieved 2 FedEx drivers that were following their GPS.  They were both on the same CCC road that was obliterated by 100 inches of rain, a logger crew pushing trucks, and a hunt club that loves to "root".  I use my GPS all the time, but I know when to ignore it.

Wudman
Charlie Daniels

nativewolf

Quote from: Kwill on January 18, 2019, 10:35:25 PM
This is one of the best super trucker moments I have witnessed.11 ton gross bridge. He was way over weight before he was loaded. :D

Hey maybe he just wanted to feed some carp but was lazy
Liking Walnut

Southside

I figured he was getting a head start on a really big batch of mash for his grits.   ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Kwill

Quote from: mike_belben on January 19, 2019, 08:09:07 AM
:o

Howd that story end?  What they fish the rig out with?

Was he haulin shelled corn?  The deer wont mind.
That was corn right out of the combine heading to the coop in forest river. I never did hear how they got it out. But the owner of the truck was wanting to borrow a grain vac to trt and get some of the corn back :D
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: Kwill on January 18, 2019, 10:35:25 PM

Hello, Sir? this is Bill the trucker, your new bridge, you want it in the same spot as the old one?  Oh, nobody told you, yeah a bit of a problem with the old bridge... 
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

mike_belben

I really try to run all sorts of new to me unknown routes back empty when i can, just to get a feel for my options.  The last thing i want is to be stuck somewhere with a full load.  Going from a lowtop flatbed to a 13ft stack of logs has me a little concerned here in the narrow twisty stuff.  But then everyone else seems to manage.  Guess ill just take it slow.  
Praise The Lord

Kwill

This one was a doozie to. Guy was hauling potatoes the thing was at the crossing you can see 5 miles in either direction. Pretty sure he was on his cell texting. He survived amazingly 

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kwill

This was last fall up north where I worked. Guy was hauling dirt from the potato conveyors. He got a wheel off the edge of the road and over corrected. Tore the bed cab and all off. He survived lucky.

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

sawguy21

We see truck/train encounters frequently, the truck always loses. He may have been trying to beat it and not have to wait. A recent one involved a stalled semi, the driver jumped in time.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Riwaka

Bobby Goodson truck wreck 2019

Goodson's All Terrain "Bad Day Ahead" - YouTube

2019 Robby Gordon Team Speed truck hauling equipment to 'Race of Champions' in Mexico City  - Mexican driver's trailer hit lead truck 1. Following Team Speed Truck 2 turned truck/ semi trailer? on side avoiding the lead truck accident.   (Equipment appears to be at race track this weekend, yet to see a full damage report.    
Robby Gordon on Instagram: ?Mr Dowell you are a lucky man, I?m so glad you and Rafa are alive as this is scary ??praying for you Mike, help IS coming?

mike_belben

Truck had water in fuel light on this morning at 21*f and visible ice bits in the clear bowl.. Drained off about 4x and got a bunch of rust crud out the bottom.  Bit later threw a solid CEL and defueled hard.  I did a whopping 15mph up over the mountains of NC.  Thats a bad day for a flatrate driver.
Praise The Lord

GRANITEstateMP

Mike, is that the quarry rig?  What is it for a truck?
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

mike_belben

Yeah its a ryder lease.  2016 cascadia daycab tandem with ISX and 10spd eaton autoshift. Most of the time i pull a dorsey 48ft steel/alum combo flat spread.  

Got codes checked and filter changed at an independant for $230 [out of owners pocket of coarse] and now have a trans code.  Waiting to get that cleared.  

Could be worse.  Im not the guy who had an entire flatbed worth of 10" x 40ft I-beams slam into the sleeper RIGHT IN FRONT OF the scalehouse this morning. Headache rack saved his life but probably not his MVR. 
Praise The Lord

sawguy21

rjwoelk

Steel beams that i think will move.  Gets a chain with padding across the front to keep it from coming forward on a hard stop or just walking.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

BargeMonkey

Theres a distribution center towards the northern end of the county, at the big 4way off I-88 theres huge signs about an 11'-10" bridge, flashing lights, idiots still go up the road, get to the bridge, being a "Swift mutants" cant back out or turn around. 

We normally retrieve 1+ person / truck per yr from the stateland here by bulldozer / backhoe, I tell people not to get off the blacktop, Schoharie county isnt exactly remote but it's close. 
 As much as I'm not a fan of the creeper clowns I'm actually glad they are around more, they got one of the local F-350 super logger / firewood guys here the other day, no #'s, no HUT, no extinguisher, junk trailer, overweight, D-license, I bet 3k doesnt pay the tickets. 

mike_belben

Yesterdays issue was a plugged fuel filter from owners basic lack of any maintenance on anything.  If it runs its off to the races.  All my own iron is old and ive never changed a davco style glass bowl filter or id have known that full means plugged.  

Where i was down to 15mph was just great.. It was on 1-40 eastbound through the pisgah mountain pass from knoxville to asheville.  Its about an hour of as steep and tight as you can run a tractor @50mph.  Trucks are right lane only and no passing.  Well road construction funneled it all to a single lane.  Then a forced to exit detour at a really strange intersection.  You have to remember this is cliffhanger area.  The roads are the shape of whatevers available for flattish ground to build on.   There was no lights, no arrows, no flagger.  The single interstate lane just coned to an exit and there was a sign that said keep moving but it came down to a 3 way odd shaped intersection with no clear answer as to which way i then needed to go.  I followed the vehicle in front, who was going elsewhere and wouldnt ya know it, that led to a helicopter only extraction zone.  I ended up doing a high pressure loaded intersection 180 and then back to my wrong turn. 

After forever, some poor soul let me get in and it was an immediate climb.  With basically half power by then as the filter got worse, i bet it took me 10 minutes to hit 20mph with a nation of angry commuters behind me.  Im glad the CB was off.  I could go 70 in the flats but climbs were hell. delivered the load and got a filter change, whole new truck.  Several energy drinks lead to another dead end 180 while looking for anywhere to park and pee.  Ate at a nice old millinowhere diner. Its funny how when youre in a car, you think im hungry.. How good/pricey is this places' food? When youre in a rig you think i dont care how it tastes or what it cost.. How is their parking lot and do they have toilet paper. 

Get back to base, park truck, unload my tools and gear into the 'service truck' im supposed to drive home that they got squared away for me while i was gone.  Well, it started.  But it has zero headlights.  Apparently not needed by dayshift quarry operations.  I left my house at 3am and got home at 10:15pm.  

This money is not nearly worth the hell it takes to get it. Guys wants me to run that same mountain tonight after an inch of rain and below freezing.  nope.  

One more week to go.
Praise The Lord

Crusarius

I think I would heed the advice of others and run away before you are carried away in a black car by ppl in suits.

Thank You Sponsors!