iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM sharpener pump question

Started by Jim_Rogers, February 15, 2019, 03:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Recently when trying to sharpen some blades my pump for the water/coolant died. I had bought two last time I bought them and both of them are dead.
I went and got two more at Home depot where I have been buying them for some time now.
But I was wondering what type/brand of pump are you guys using?
I am using this one:

At the end of the last one's life it just wouldn't spin until I reached in with an awl and started the impeller spinning. After I started it, it would usually run ok for that day. Until this last day, when it wouldn't spin any more.

I was also wondering if I should take it out of the water in between using it.
What do you think?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jim_Rogers

yes that was standard when i got it

PA_Walnut

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Jim_Rogers

If you guys aren't using water, with the blue rust preventative what are you using?

And still what pump are you using? anyone?

Jim Rogers

Southside

I use the WM cutting oil, some guys have gone to straight mineral oil too. Factory pump, I can get the number on it if you want.
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

JB Griffin

Jim, what they obviously don't know is you have a Ltaga not a cbn :D
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

PA_Walnut

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: JB Griffin on February 16, 2019, 09:42:37 AM
Jim, what they obviously don't know is you have a Ltaga not a cbn :D
you're right

Southside

Ahhh. The light bulb came on. Thanks JB.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

PA_Walnut

I don't use water, since cbn, but use Cotton Picker Spindle Lube for blade lube, then when I take them off the mill, wipe down with WD40 and scotchbrite pads if there's any build-up (rarely).

I have learned the error of my ways with blades, once I begun sharpening and setting my own!
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Ga Mtn Man

I think Jim is still hoping for a pump recommendation from someone.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Jim_Rogers

Percy

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on February 17, 2019, 09:58:55 AM
Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on February 17, 2019, 09:48:29 AM
x2
I have had great service from these Little Giant pumps....its what came with all my WM sharpeners over the years......they seem to last much longer pumping oil.... 
1-A Series | Small Submersible Pumps | Industrial | Little Giant | Franklin Electric
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Old Greenhorn

Jim, I'll second what Percy said. When I had my machine shop I probably had 3 of these running at any time and a spare on the shelf, nt as a replacement but for floating use wherever I needed it. Rock solid, but a little more pricey than the home despot 'stuff'. I have run water, oil, and soluble oil (coolant) through these for thousands of hours. They just need a little cleaning every year or two. When they finally quit, they are done, however, that doesn't happen very frequently. Check your industrial suppliers and if you can't find one, I have an online source for you.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Percy on February 17, 2019, 10:46:54 AM
Quote from: Jim_Rogers on February 17, 2019, 09:58:55 AM
Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on February 17, 2019, 09:48:29 AM
x2
I have had great service from these Little Giant pumps....its what came with all my WM sharpeners over the years......they seem to last much longer pumping oil....
1-A Series | Small Submersible Pumps | Industrial | Little Giant | Franklin Electric
Thanks for that.

dustyhat

Little giant is what i have , there good pumps mostly used on parts washers, got my latest one at surplus center.

beav

Maybe no help but for 30+ yrs I've been using a milk jug hung close to the ceiling siphoned down to the water jet on the sharpener through a small rubber tube. Still works like new!

Ga Mtn Man

They just don't make milk jugs like that anymore. 😄
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

gmmills

Jim,  Very hard to beat Little Giant pumps for sharpener application. I have two different CBN sharpeners and both have Little Giant pumps in them. You actually have three Little Giant pumps each having same size pump housings. Your LTAGA, when new, probably came with a Little Giant 1-A series pump. You have the choice of selecting  a 1-A series or a  1 series. They both look physically the same. Both have Nitrile shaft seals. The 1-A pump has a lower HP rating then the 1 Series. The 1 Series pump is capable of moving a larger per hour flow rate. You also may want to look at the 1-Y series pump. Same HP-flow rate as the 1 series, but has a Flouroelastomer seal. Actually listed as a parts washer pump. Have this pump in my Pro-series CBN sharpener for well over 10 yrs. It has never been replaced. Only neg with this pump is no plug on end of wire. designed for direct wire application.

Back when I had an LTAGA, used water soluble cutting oil mixed in straight water as coolant. I purchased it from our local NAPA store. Our's stocked it in 2 different sized containers. Only drawback, is solution will become rancid over a period of time. Needed to be exchanged frequently. No antibacterial agents in this brand of oil.    
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Chuck White

Jim; My FIL installed a "fish tank" pump when the original pump failed!

I suggested he place a magnet in the water pan/reservoir to draw metal filings away from the water pump!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for your advice. I did have a magnet in a plastic bag years ago, but not lately.

Jim Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!