iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oak Wilt

Started by Ron Scott, December 17, 2000, 04:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Does anyone have experience with oak wilt and its transfer between trees? Especially where a tree trimmer may have infected residential trees by prunning red oak?
~Ron

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

Oak wilt was a high priority in PA in the late 60's to the early 70's.  Then we got Gypsy moth and oak wilt hasn't been talked about too much.

I had a friend that worked with the State for 1 summer before graduation.  He was on the oak wilt eradication team.  

Sites were located from the air.  A team would go in and cut that tree and all other same specie trees within 50-100 ft.  Oak wilt was transferred through the root system.  All stumps were treated to prevent sprouting.  

That's the best I can remember.  

Urban situations are probably different from forest situations.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ron Scott

I spent 3 1/2 hours on the witness stand this afternoon as an "expert" witness in a tree loss case involving the possible transfer of oak wilt to landscape trees. So keep sending me any oak wilt updates.

Thanks!
~Ron

Ron Scott

Jeff,
Reply made under the oak wilt thread for more info. and to revive this subject during its sensitive time.

I don't know of any oak wilt at present in your area, but it is often small site specific and moves fast if initiated. You should check with Gary Bucklin of the Missaukee Conservation District who covers Clare County. He may know or have an alert for your area.

It should be ok to remove your trees in the fall after sap flow and they are hardened off.

The US Forest Service North Central Research Station in Minneapolis have pinned down the increasing cause of oak wilt to:sprawl.

As homes, malls, roads and development spread through the countryside it not only removed many trees, it left thousands of oaks scarred by construction machinery.

Insects rapidly move into the wounds bringing fungus spores. Mature oaks can be killed in as little as four weeks.

See Page 3 of recent issue of Northwoods Call; May 2,2001 article.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Has anyone noted any new outbreaks or spread of "oak wilt" through this spring's growing season?
~Ron

swampwhiteoak

The main problem with oak in my area is "oak tatters".  Probably 50% of all trees hit pretty hard.  Anyone else seeing tatters?

Ron Scott

OAK WILT MEETINGS

Just around the corner there will be two (2) oak wilt programs.

16 July in Alpena,MI; Room 106 Center Building; Alpena Community College; 3:00-4:30 pm

17 July in Roscommon, MI; Commissioner's Room; County Annex Building; 3:00-4:30 pm

Dennis Fulbright (MSU Plant Pathology) and Roger Mech (MDNR Forest Health) will be featured speakers.

The afternoon meeting is geared more towards forest managers, tree care folks, landscapers, builders, etc. Evening meetings (7:00 pm, same locations)will be directed more towards homeowners.

For more information, contact Russ Kidd at 989-275-4670 or kidd@msue.msu.edu
~Ron

Ron Scott

I attended the meeting in Roscommon today. Some good information provided. Oak wilt is here in Michigan and deadly to especially red oak.

Control is expensive, but necessary. Michigan DNR Pest Management is monitoring it and looking for additional outbreak areas for further research and study.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Oak Wilt in Michigan, Extension Bulletin E-2764 is a new 8-page color publication available from MSU Extension offices for those who would like more detailed information about the disease.
~Ron

LeeB

Oak Wilt is a bad problem here in Texas. It attacks red oak and is exspecialy hard on Live oak( a white oak ). Around here, the Forestry Service is telling us to cut and burn Red oak immidiatly, due to it having fungal mats under the bark. Live oak does'nt produce these mats. Sorry to hear that the problem is so widespread. Please tell me what you are doing to treat it in your part of the country. Does'nt seem to be much you can do about it. Prescribed treatments hold it off for a little while, but noy very long. Very expensive also. Thanks for any info, LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ron Scott

Lee,
Not much can be done to control oak wilt so far other than the preventive measure which sounds like know of.

It is very similar to the Dutch Elm Disease that wiped out the American Elm here. Oak wilt is especially deadly to red oak due to its characteristic to root graft from one tree to another. Red oak and white oak do not root graft to one another so white oak isn't as susceptible.

Trenching around the infected area with a vibrator plow to at least a 5 foot depth to cut off the root grafts between the infected and uninfected trees is the only recourse to stop its spread at present.

I see where a number of counties in Texas has it also.
~Ron

LeeB

not trying to argue with you Ron, but live oak is very much a white oak. It is the hardest hit veriaty in this area. Trenching does'nt seem to help for long. Stays it off for a couple at most. Sad state of affairs. You would think some of the Big Lumber companies would up a little money to study this disease. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ron Scott

The USDA Forest Service and Michigan DNR Forest Health have some Research projects and studies going on here with Oak Wilt infected areas. My comments are based on their information,publications,and information sessions.

Texas may be ahead of Michigan with its knowledge base. I'm sure we will be learning more.

There are more sessions planned here to take us to school on Oak Wilt. I'm sure there are some differences in our Oak species and ecosystems.

~Ron

Don P

I was wondering if anyone has tried some type of soil drench like the termite guys use...A 5'long probe and chemical pumped into the soil?

LeeB

One ofd the treatments that is used in my area is to inject a nutrient rich fungicide around the tree. Very expensive and not too effective as far as i can tell. Doesn't seem to be much that will stop it but dumb luck. LeeB :'(

Ron Scott

I haven't heard of such as yet. The root grafts from infected to uninfected tree need to be severed as from what PH.D. Pathologists have said so far.

There are also differences between regional areas as to controls.
~Ron

LeeB

The trenching is the prescribed treatment by the forestry service in Texas. They are also suggesting you line the trench with plastic. My nieghbor did all this and more. Still lost all her trees. Hasn't got on my place yet. I figure it's just a matter of time. Been sawing her trees. Gonna try to floor my house. Let me tell you, Live oak is some HARD stuff. A real bugger on blades. Figure I'll have more than I know what to do with once it gets into my trees. LeeB

Tom

LeeB, I don't know if you have ever worked with/sawed Live Oak before but it is a beautiful wood.  It's twisted grain and heavy medullary Ray patterns make it all worth while.  Try to quartersaw as much of it as you can and don't be afraid to attack crooked pieces and crotches.  If it weren't so hard I would cut it all the time.  It's like iron when you start machining it in the shop too.

LeeB

Agreed Tom, It is pretty stuff. You mean to tell me there are straight logs? :D JUst about all I have to saw around here is live oak. A little elm sometimes,hackberry,and an occasional ceder, and when I can find it I really treasure pecan. Sometimes do cottonwood. LeeB

Tom

You have obviously been inside of a Live Oak tree :D

The further away from the seashore I get the straighter lengths I find.

A Lady Real Estate Developer called me 3 years ago to mill some Live Oak logs for her to build her house from.  She had the idea that they could be used for studs, etc.  I recommended that she use only a few pieces for furniture or special effect.

I went to look at them and she had bulldozed Live Oaks, 20-30 inch, into a 2 acre pile that was 8-10 feet deep.

I called her back and asked how much she had decided that she wanted cut. "All of it", she said.

Not having the equipment to "unpile" the wood I suggested she find someone else.  Nobody else in this area will touch Live Oak so I'm sure it was either burned or is still piled there.  The property is gated, posted and inaccessible so I've not been back.

Ron Scott

For more information on "Oak Wilt", contact your county MSU Extension office and ask for bulletin E-2764, "Oak Wilt in Michigan". The cost is 75 cents.
~Ron

Jim Spencer

I live in Macomb County,  Mi and after a logging company cut the woods off next to me my trees started to die off.
I think it is Oak wilt but not sure.

I think logging should be restricted during the months when the sap beetles are active.

I know when a tree gets a broken bark area it dies very shortly.
Jim

Jeff

Jim,

Oak wilt death is very sudden and very dramatic they say. Like within 2 weeks, the leaves all dry up and drop off.

Does that seem to fit?

By the way welcome to the forum if I had not welcomed you before!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

Yes, there will be need for restrictions on time of logging, especially in red oak stands with concern for oak wilt. All landowners and loggers will need awareness to oak wilt along with bark stripping damage during the sap flow season.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!