iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yumm..stuff

Started by Bibbyman, June 24, 2004, 07:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Well,  if we can have yucstuff then we can have Yumm..suff.

I remember back to my Aunt Ruby's big sugar cookies and how good they were.  It almost made the extra five miles a day I had to walk worth it.  

See,  we lived about a half mile from the one-room school I attended but because there was nobody home before school and after school,  I had to go down to my Uncle Roy and Aunt Ruby's house.  And that was about 2 miles further from school than our house.  So every morning one of my folks would drive me down there and I'd walk to school (right past our house) with Cousins Donna, and Billy.  Then when school was out,  walk past our house again to Uncle Roy and Aunt Ruby's.  

Anyway,  Aunt Ruby would have something good for us to eat when we got there.  A couple times a week it would be these big sugar cookies.  I'm sure she made them so often she didn't even need a recipe.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Rocky_J

I guess they figgered that if you was walkin', you wasn't gettin in trouble! Helped ya work up an appetite, also.  ;D

CHARLIE

Tom's and my Yumm..stuff was Grandmama's homemade bread. All the neighbor children would be playing in our backyard and Grandmama would call us all into the kitchen for some hot, fresh out of the oven homemade bread. We'd cut thick slices and put lots of butter on it. Several loaves were gone in a flash! I have often wondered if she saved a loaf from us for my Grandaddy. Otherwise he would have never gotten any.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Bibbyman

My Grandma Warden, born in the 1880's,  never really converted to 20'th century living.  She lived more of her years in a dirt-floor cabin than a house with a floor. Even in the later years when her house had electricity,  she still cooked on a wood cookstove.

I remember well her making egg noodles by pitching some ingredients in a bowl and making the dough, rolling it out and cutting it into wide thick strips.  I'm sure nothing was measured as she could not read or write.

Going out for chicken wasn't a run to KFC,  it was grabin' the ax and heading out to the back yard to catch an old hen.  
Sawing since '94

dail_h

Tea cakes, and okra stew
   The tea cakes made by my sisterinlaw's grandmother,best I ever ate
   Okra stew ,made by my dad's sisters,I'de eat it until I hurt as a kid,sure do miss it now
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

etat

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

SwampDonkey

Lots of folks still use the old Enterprise cook stoves up here bibby. My uncle does in the winter months and he wants to buy a new one, The Monarch model. His cousin comes up from NS in the winter to stay at her fathers old place. Its actually my great grandfather's place on mother's side. I'm livin in great grandfather's place on Dad's, mom's side. Well, anyway, she has an older Monarch and cooks on it some in winter months. Them stoves feel real nice up here in cold winter in those old kitchens. :D. A new Monarch is about $4000 CDN.

Monarch by Enterprice Foundary in Sackville, NB
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Weekend_Sawyer

Rice pudding with rasins... oooooh yea
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

SwampDonkey

That's an oldie, but a goodie. Grandfather used to eat that like it was going outta style. ;) Rice pudding and raisens I mean. ;D

Ck's steak looks mighty tempting too. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Oh yeah! .....and Bread puddin' ;D

Weekend_Sawyer

I took an interest in cooking when I was a teenager. Mom was such a great cook, she was from South Carolina, that I wanted to be able to create some of her wonderful dishes. I asked her to write down some of her recipes in a notebook. In that noteboodk are recipes for many great things including rice pudding and bread pudding. Unfortunatly I just can't make it like she did.

Egg custard is another one, oh man I'm gettin hungry.

did I mention peach cobbler?

SwampDonkey

My uncle will eat about anything. Some of you folks down south that want to hunt bear should stop by and make him eat them grits. He wouldn't eat'm if we made'm , that nose would curl up to his eye brows followed with a yuck sound :D. But, for some reason he'll try some of them crazy camp dishes the bear hunters put in front of him. And by the look of his ponch he hasn't missed too many meals. Grand father said it was better to keep a pig, at least ya had something in the fall and winter for meat. That's sinful talkin about pour uncle that way. :D :D

Cedarman

I've always thought that all food is good, some is better than other.  Your posts just make my mouth water, it alllll looks gooooood!
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Bibbyman

This thread got me to thinking about a post I made very early on on the FF.  Maybe some of the newer members haven't went back that far.  Maybe some that have read it would like to go back for a re-run (or would it be "left-overs"?).  

Best meal I ever ate

Anyway,  this thread - "A funny story" and "Old(er) folks" are chucked full of great stories.  Thanks Tom for starting them.
Sawing since '94

CHARLIE

I ain't much for cakes......'cept a good cheesecake, but I just love pies and cobblers.  Pumpkin pie is my favorite pie but I won't pass up a custard pie, a good tart apple pie or dang near any fruit pie that ain't overly sweet. And cobblers?  I just plain love'em.  Nothing like a peach cobbler and a glass of cold milk.  Mmmmmmmmm Mm!  Now that's good eatin'! 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

You can't beat a big thick slice of Grandmom's plain ol' Pound Cake.   Something really rich without being covered up with gooey icing or fruit or any other disguising concoction.

Jeff

One of my favorite quick treats is grilled peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Tastes like a dessert. :)  Gotta be Jif peanut butter though.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DR Buck

Talk about Yumm stuff cooked on wood... :)     This stove came from a cabin in PA  mountains owned by the father of a couple guys I used to hunt with in the 60's as a kid.  We had many a good meal cooked on it.  It also provided plenty of heat to keep us warm.  

Story is that they found this stove in a junk store back in the late 40's when the cabin was built.   I inherited it about 10 years ago when the father passed away and the cabin was sold.   Best part is my great grandfathers company built it and it has my family name on it. 8)

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Haytrader

How neat Dr Buck,

You are the envy of the neighborhood.

That is a very special stove to you, I am sure. And it looks to be in really good condition. Thanks for givin us a peak.

:)
Haytrader

SwampDonkey

Dr. Buck.

Your stove with all the nickle is really close to the Monarch by Enterprise in my thread above (click the link at bottom of post) . The monarch has a warming closet up top and a hot water tank resevoir on the right-hand side. ;D

DR Buck

SwampDonkey,

As the story goes, this one should have a warming closet also.  Supposedly, they guy that owned the "junk" store didn't know where it was at the time this one was bought.

It does have a hot water circulation loop within the left side firebox.  I remember at one time that being operational.

We currently have it set up in the entry way to our house as a centerpiece.  Wife has it decorated with plants and knick knacks.

BTW--  I have a copy of the original advertisement for the complete stove.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

pappy

enough said for yum stuff :D :D :D :D :D

pappy
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Weekend_Sawyer

Sweet Potato Pone, like pie but with no crust. Man that's good!

OneWithWood

A real treat for us when we were growing up was when dad would bring home a can of 'Boston Brown Bread'.  He would heat it up by steaming then open both ends of the can and slide the bread out.  Smothered in fresh butter it was so good  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Rocky_J

My 'Yummm Stuff' today is yummy homemade spaghetti from my sister. It is especially yummy because she not only made it for me, but she drove over to my house and hand delivered it! Two extra yummies because she had my two neices with her, and it was the first time they had seen my house.
 :) :) :) :) :) :)

SwampDonkey

OneWith Wood:

We still make your Boston Brown Bread up here in winter months with the beans. I bet termite has ate a few steamed loaves. ;)

pappy

Corn bread and bean hole beans too --ployes and beans -- or if cold enough just beans and biscuits will do

fuuurt--fuuuurt  :D :D
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

etat

I'm really don't care that much for dessert, or sweets.   I do like good food, just about any kind.  Vegetables, most any meat, seafood, heck, I even like Chinese food occasionally.  Or when I'm feeling real brave maybe some Mexican food.  I also like trying new dishes, but don't worry, if I don't like it after I try it I won't be afraid to say so, I'll just tell you that it just ain't agreeable with my ole taste buds. What I really don't much care about, is fast food hamburgers.  First year or so of roofing, plumb burnt myself out on em and ain't ever got over it. .

Here's a tip for ya.  If you're ever in ANY strange town around dinner time and want a good meal, not fast food, look for where the guys that drive the construction trucks go eat.  Just watch the parking lots. You ever pass a little rinky dink place and lots of these folks in there eating, that's where you'll probably find a good plate lunch that'll beat them fast food places all to pieces.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Rocky_J

Aw heck, CK. Any traveler worth his AAA card knows that trick. I learned that one from my dad when I was a kid and we drove to CT and back during summer vacation. Most workin' folks know good food and good value.

I also learned how to change a flat tire on that trip.  ;D

Bibbyman

Come to think about it,  we have a whole thread under the travel topic listing places to eat.

Where to eat

Maybe you've got a couple to add to the list or find one of these along your way someday.
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

When travelling in the states I find that most good places feed well. We used to go to a takeout just over in Mars Hill Maine for Clams (The Lobster Pot) and they were good tenderloins. Over here all ya get is the crumbs form the bottom of the bag. Yuskstuff, mostly batter. And you'de think you could get good fish in NB restaurants along the coast its all that battered processed stuff. I was on a trip around the Gaspe in Quebec and we found a nice restaurant in the Mall and I had a full plate of fresh fish. There was salmon, herring, scallops, 2 or 3 others. Way more than I could absorb. Then on the Charlottes, at the Raven restaurant I had a huge platter of fresh fish. There was stuff on there with a 100 tentacles even :D :D all good eatin, brought right in to the warf. There was probably 10 different fish and enough for 4 people, but I had it to me self. :D There was only one good seafood restaurnt that we ate at in NB, that was Cyes, which I think is gone now. We used to go by Train to eat there while shopping in Town. Don't even have the train now.

Bibbyman

You know,  of all the things that have changed since I was a kid,  one thing ain't - A&W Root Beer.  I meen the real stuff you get at and A&W in a frosted glass mug.

Mary and I sawed all day today.  We're that far benind.  Get done,  I said to Mary,  "Lets take a shower and go to A&W and get some fish and root beer." (The local A&W is also a Long John Silvers).

We did.  They hand out the frozen mugs and you just help yourself.  I drank 3 and Mary 2.

Maybe I'm just fond of A&W Root Beer because my first real girlfriend worked at an A&W back when they had carhops. ;D  

I remember one evening droping in at A&W to say Hi to Nancy but she but her shift didn't start until later.  But two of her girlfrinds were working the early shift.  They were getting tired of being pestered by boys so they came up with the idea that if they were wearing a boy's high school ring,  the boys would leave them along.  So they talked me into loaning me my highschool ring and another big ring I wore at that time.  When Nancy came on her shift, it wasn't long until she spotted the rings and know where they came from.  I got them back real soon.
Sawing since '94

Buzz-sawyer

BIB remember the baby burger, moma, and the popa burgers....they had a taste all thier own and delicious with thier onion ring and frosty mug!!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Jeff

We were at Dennys today in Saginaw and they serve grits there! Did I get em? One Word.  HASHBROWNS :)

Tom

Is that what you call grits up there?

Jeff

Yes! They are just like your grits except with a couple differences. They are shaped different and taste good.

Tom

:DI'll have to try some when I get up there.  ;D   Northern Grits, eh? :D

chet

Eh!   ;)  And dar even better wit fried onions mixed in.   :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Bibbyman

Hay!  What's going on here?  Grits invading yet another topic! :D  

They're everywhere! They're everywhere! 8) 8) 8)
Useta' be able to buy A&W Rootbeer in a gallon jug.  Dad always wanted me to pick up a jug of Nancy's rootbeer - as he called it.  If you took your own jug,  it think it was about $3.00.
Sawing since '94

Stan

Like Bibby's grandmother, mine had a wood stove until her husband died and she moved to town and an apartment. They got electricity and running water for their 50th wedding anniversary. It took all 10 of their children chipping in to pay for the power poles.  :-/ She didn't miss the coal oil lamps, loved the wrestling on TV, and kept her wood cook stove.  ;D
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

CHARLIE

The closest A&W was a 15 mile drive from Fort Pierce to Vero Beach. It was always a special treat. If you bought a quart of Rootbeer to go, it came in an inverted cone like waxed cardboard container. If you ordered a gallon to go, it came in glass gallon jugs. It was always a treat for Tom and I when Mom would take us to the A&W in Vero. Grandaddy would always want Mom to bring some home. I remember once, we left the gallon jug on the back porch and we were all in the living room when we heard an explosion. We all went to the back porch to see glass and Rootbeer everywhere. The gallon jug of Rootbeer exploded.  Several years later, the people that owned the A&W in  Vero, closed it and opened a larger one not far from the railroad tracks on south US 1 in Fort Pierce. It became a real hangout for us teenagers.  Everyone had to "Circle the A&W" at least once a night.  It was hard to get a spot to get some vittles. When I could, I liked a Rootbeer and a chili dog.  Sometimes, lines of cars went around the drive-in and down the highway. The traffic around the drive-in got so bad on the weekends that they had to have a cop directing it. Good memories.
Charlie

Bibbyman

Oh yea,  I remember those chili-dogs. Didn't they have a special on Tuesday nights of something like 6 chili-dogs for a buck?  

We had a couple combinations of "cruse loops" in Fulton.  The short one was up Main (US 54), turn on 7'th, down Court (one way),  turn on 5'th back to Main,  back out of town to Dog-n-Suds where everyone parked to hang out because they had the biggest parking lot.  

The larger loop was from A&W on the south side of town on Main, turn on 7'th, down Court, turn on 5'th but then turn left on Main and go north out of town to the King-Cal drive in restauraunt that was outside the King-Cal drive in theater.  There was a DQ on Main but only the old people stopped there.

Dog-n-Suds set in about the middle of a hill (now the site of a McDonnel's) with park area on both side of the street below it. This section was about 1/4 mile long with only one side street right across from it.  It was where all the guys with hot cars showed their stuff. There was a trick to it - If you had much of a car at all you couldn't "get on it" until you where out into the lane and square to the highway  - THEN stick your foot into it.  Where some got into trouble was they'd try to light it up pulling out.  The crown in the road and such, you'd end up throwing a doughnut - or at least part of one.  

The kids driving their mom's slant 6 Valiants and such would have to do their thing going up hill.  They'd pull out, slip the automatic into nutral and reve it up and pull it back into drive just to get a short little "ERK" from the tires.   :D

All this accounted for at least one good finder bender a weekend and a bad wreck once a month. A lot of old-timers got rear-ended because they were going the speed limit. The really bad accidents happened when someone would lose it and get hit by an 18 wheeler or smack into the rock bluff just down the hill.
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

Stan:

I hear ya on the wood stove bit. Both my grandmothers wouldn't part with those. I used to stay nights with one of my grandmothers as she had bone cancer for a few years. I was only around 12 years old when we had to bring her to father's, as her cancer was getting worse.  Those old folks like their independence you know. ;)

She bought us a pine tree before she passed away, we planted it in the back yard. The DanG sap suckers seem to have an affinity for it and won't leave it alone.

Bibbyman

We know a place within walking distance that has about a dozen big patches of tame blackberries.   Tame may be accurate as to distinguish them from the wild ones we use to have but tame in attitude they are not.  Some of the plants reach a height of 10' and are defended top to bottom with nasty fishhook thorns.  But they are loaded with plump, heavy berries.

They are normally ready for poaching about the 4'th of July but this year being cooler and damper,  they were a bit late.  This evening I introduced Alex to picking blackberries.  Someone had been there before us and had trampled spots to reach the berries.   I've got to say,  it was THE most comfortable blackberry pickin' experience of my life.  The temperature was low 70's,  no mosquitoes or deer flies,  and I haven't noted any chiggers yet.

Alex held up to the task better than I figured and didn't complain about the one stick for each berry she was getting.  We had my small bucket full and half of her bucket when I said we had more than enough and could head back.  But she wanted to fill her bucket.  We lasted a little longer then decided we needed to go to my folk's house to get a drink so we quit.

Now,  it's up to Mary to make a blackberry cobbler.
Sawing since '94

Tom

My blackberries were poached.     .......sniff......... :'(

SwampDonkey

Dig in :)

Leave my cranberry colored mixing bowl though ;)

Bibbyman

I got my blackberry cobler and all to myself.  Mary don't like the thousands of little hard seeds. 8)
Sawing since '94

Larry

Kathy went to visit some of her kin up in Richardton ND a few days ago.  I felt obligated to load the van with a lot of produce for those poor northern people.  Plenty of tomatoes, cucumbers, and these things.

I was really planing to send some raspberries but just couldn't  find any room to fit them in the van. :D ;D :D ;D :D

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

dail_h

Someone at work gave Donna a bunch of blueberries yesterday,cobbler is finishing up even as we speak. Got the ice cream all ready ;D
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

sprucebunny

Larry Is that okra? Is that yum or yuk? ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ed_K

Ed K

Larry

Yeap that's okra.  Delicious fried., pickled, and especially boiled. :D :D  Really goes good with Jeff's favorite – grits. ;D ;D

Be more than happy to ship you a truck load or two – no charge but I'll have to do it before Kathy gets back in town.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Bro. Noble

Huckleberries are ripe here.  Pick and eat a few while cutting logs.  We'vegot lots of plants but very few have berries and they are tiny,  but delicious.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

SwampDonkey

Bro Noble:

Black or red huckleberries? They taste like cranberries don't they? Does anyone on the west coast eat many thimble berry or salmon berry? Not much taste, but the berries are big as your thumb. They look like raspberries and have a big pink blossom. They usually blossomed in April where I lived in Prince Rupert, BC. I'm real glad I'm back in red raspberry and low sweet blueberry country though. ;)

cheers

Bro. Noble

Huckleberries are dark blue like small blueberries.  They taste much like blueberries,  but are more 'intense'  for lack of a better way to describe them.

Used to have an old lady in the neighborhood that made her husband a huckleberry pie every summer.  She must have really loved him cause it would have taken her all day to pick the berries.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

SwampDonkey

Bro Noble:

I've eaten both black (blue) and red huckle berries out west. They call the blue ones Alaskan blue berry and they tasted like cranberry, quite tart. Another berry similar to them are the service berries (Almalanchiar sp.), which are red in my area and pretty much tasteless. But they don't seem to bear heavy crops, would take for ever to pick'm. Those huckleberry and blueberry are all Vacciniums. Some places we worked on the west coast mainland was thickets of red huckleberry. Nightmarish to work in. Well some folks like'm , some not I suppose. :D

Gilman

Keeping away from that hot peanut oil!

Teaching can be fun.

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Buzz-sawyer

that is ONE HEAVY bird :o
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Buzz-sawyer

In late June we picked a bunch of BLACK RASBERRIES I got the idea to boil em reduce em strain em and add sugar....then use it to top pure vannila ice cream
KNOCKED ME OUT!!! 8) 8) 8)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

SwampDonkey

I like Vanilla grapenut ice cream on my red raspberries too. (Only available in New Brunswick) ;) I've been picking 4 litres of red raspberries in my garden each day for the last week. Its amazing how fast they ripen. My patch is 22 feet long and 10 feet deep. Has anyone been poisened by raspberry over dose? :D :D

Of course I've been freezing the vast majority of them. Picked 6 litres for the folks to feed on. ;) My father has a variety of blackberry that is still producing blossoms. We don't have ripe blackberry up here untill August and September. I have a few wild ones on my woodlot. Raspberry is one berry I like to harvest cause there's no bending over or rippen your clothes to shreds. All up-right like man was ment to be since the caveman ;) :D

Bibbyman

We did some sawin' today but knocked off in 'the heat of the day' to pick a mess of blackberrys.

One simple pleasure in life is to pick a plump, ripe berry and pop it in your mouth.

Alex and Brooke are getting pretty good at pickin' berrys.  Especailly pointing out where they are and holding the bucket.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!