iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What type of saw chain do you use

Started by T Welsh, October 18, 2011, 06:26:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Welsh

I am curious about what type of chain every body is using on there saws
my favorite is 72lgx Oregon square chisel full comp. I also use Stihl rapid rsc full chisel. Tim

Cut4fun

I still have rolls of oregon CL real square chisel full comp 3/8 and RS RSK RSC round chisel, oregon LG 325 and 325 RSC, then PS3 3/8LP

JHBC

On my Stihls 20"-28", I use Oregon 72LGX, and my Huskys 32"-42", I use Oregon 68LX or 68JX. Full chisel, but not square.
MS460 28"    MS660  36"    MS441 20"/24"    394XP 32"/36"    3120XP 32"/42"

John Mc

"square" chisel would be the Oregon 72CL. (the tooth is sharpened with a square-edge file, rather than a round file.) Gives a bit of extra cutting performance over "round ground" chisel chain, but tougher top sharpen by hand. I've only used one once, on a GOL instructor's saw, just to see what it was like.

The 072lgx is a round chisel chain You sharpen it with a round file, but the "corner" of the tooth (where the top plate meets the side plate) is still square, rather than rounded off or chamfered like a semi-chisel (or "micro-chisel") chain.

I use either the 073lgx or 073lpx (the 073lgx is just the .058 gauge version of the 072lgx. Don't ask me why, but just about everyone around here seems to use .058 gauge chains.) The lpx has a bit more anti-kickback provisions in the design (but is still nothing like the worthless consumer safety chain). To tell you the truth, I can't tell the difference between the two when cutting. When running .325 pitch, I've used Oregon's 21LPX chain (round chisel, a .325 pitch version of 72LPX)

I've also used Bailey's "Woodland Pro" chain: 28RC for the .325 pitch, and 38RC for .375 pitch chain. Both are round chisel, seem to cut similarly to the Oregon chain. I've heard this is just re-badged Carlton/Total. (6 or 7 years ago I did have some Carlton chain that had hard spots in it that ruined a few raker files, but I've never run into the problem since.)

If I recall, the sharpening angles on the Woodland Pro chain are a bit different from the Oregon... and it did not like being sharpened to Oregon specs.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

nmurph

Quote from: T Welsh on October 18, 2011, 06:26:00 AM
I am curious about what type of chain every body is using on there saws
my favorite is 72lgx Oregon square chisel full comp. I also use Stihl rapid rsc full chisel. Tim

LGX is not square chisel. It is chisel, but not square filed chisel; that would be CL

BobR

Stihl RMC (yellow) chain works great on my MS 261 with 16" bar.
Oregon 90S (non safety) works great on my pole saw.  Bailey's sells this by the link.  I've not seen it advertized anywhere else.

mad murdock

I run chisel tooth full skip chain on my 372XP, I cut mostly Doug Fir, and it cuts like butter, the hardwood I do cut, is mostly big leaf maple, and it cuts easy as well.  When I mill I use the woodsman pro ripping chain that Bailey's sells.  On my smaller saws I use semi-skip semi-chisel (half round), as it can take the dirt better, and since I use the smaller saws for alot of the dirtier cutting, that works best for me.  I have run Carlton, Wlindsor, Oregon, Woodsman Pro, they all seem similar.  I don't see much of a difference between chains, they all seem pretty good, as long as they are set up properly, they all cut great.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

mooleycow

I bought a stihl farm boss ms290.  After reading the post here I get the idea the green chain on my saw is a product  liability chain.  Think after reading I may need a rsc yellow chain.  New here, don't use  one much, except hurricane cleanup.  Used to live in the mountains(meadows of dan Virginia) cut  my share.  You folks are right on about helping people you meet to learn about cutting wood.  Thanks for being here. 

beenthere

Not sure why you think that, or how you think that. How is it a product liability to you?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

AdkStihl

Stihl .325 RSC on the MS270WB , .404 RSLF on the 08 & Oregon S-series 91 Low Profile Chamfer chisel on the Eager Beaver.
J.Miller Photography

T Welsh

Quote from: mooleycow on October 20, 2011, 08:12:43 PM
I bought a stihl farm boss ms290.  After reading the post here I get the idea the green chain on my saw is a product  liability chain.  Think after reading I may need a rsc yellow chain.  New here, don't use  one much, except hurricane cleanup.  Used to live in the mountains(meadows of dan Virginia) cut  my share.  You folks are right on about helping people you meet to learn about cutting wood.  Thanks for being here. 
Most of the chains on this topic are pro chains with little or no kick back features, be aware that if you change your (green tie strap) chain for (yellow) you will be increasing cutting,but you will also increase kick back, be safe and look into whats right for you and your saw, if your cutting mostly firewood go with a chipper type chain they are more forgiving than chisel chain when you hit the dirt (we all do it) Tim

Al_Smith

I can't rememeber the numbers but most times it's some form of round chisel chain usually Oregon , except the antiques .Those if they are gear drives is whatever they came with . They're for show not to cut much wood with .They will of course but at a somewhat "relaxed " pace .

acco1840

Stihl full chisel. anything else is crap.

Al_Smith

Stihl is good chain ,no doubt but it should be for the price .

Oh sure it's harder and might last longer but it will still break cutters and bend drivers just like all the rest .

Chain is just like oil which I won't get into .You have people lining up on both sides of the line to argue or evangelise about any brand made .Funny thing is they all seem to be able to cut wood . 8)

T Welsh

Al. I second that!!!  The sharpest,cheapest chain works for me. we go through a 100' reel a year and it would more if we didnt keep it the ties straps under lock and key. our guys have habit of trashing chains >:( Tim

Al_Smith

Well you know I try to refrain from getting anal about chain ,saws ,oil or politics .Although sometimes just because of the orneriness within me I like to stir the pot  just a little . :D

I'll never bad mouth Stihl chain with the exception  of anti kick back .On that I'll opinionate on anybodys safety chain .Then again although it's not for me I can see were some feel it's safer and that's fine .

I personally think Oregon micro chisel is a faster cutting chain than Stihl chisel but again that's just an opinion . Now don't get me wrong because I've got plenty of Stihl chain loops .If I were  in the business of using a chainsaw to make a living I'd probabley use more of it but I'm not so I don't .

Pricey stuff but I hear through reliable sources that in areas of the PNW they sell it in competitive prices with Oregon which here amongst the corn fields they do not .

Then again Lawdy what has happened to the price of chain now days ? I about had sticker shock when I looked up the price through Baileys for a either a 105 or 109 driver loop of .404 chisel for an 084 .It wasn't so long ago I bought 143 driver loop for about half what it sells for today .

Just Me

I buy up those "Al Gore" safety chains as the old fellow I buy them from calls them as he will not sell a chain saw with them on. He's an old farmer selling Dolmars in his retirement, and it you need a lesson in right wing politics... Whew!

Anyway... Those chains are great for cutting into houses and doing log work just because they do not cut too aggressively, they do not pull into the cut. They also seem to be able to hit more nails and keep working, probably because they do not allow a big bite. I screw them up and throw them away. He sell them to me for $5 brand new, so why sharpen? Faster than a sawzall for sure......

On my XP I am thinking of trying a skip tooth. My buddy has one on his and says it cuts hardwood firewood faster, but he's just a carpenter like me. Can someone fill me in on a skip tooth and when you should use it? I'm in the dark.

Larry

Al_Smith

Al Gore didn't have a thing to do with safety chains ,that was Ralph Nader .He was also famous for stopping production for few years of convertable automobiles ,Corvairs and just about anything that could be used in a dangerous way to hurt one another .In other words because he felt that we collectively weren't smart enough to protect ourselves from ourselves the government should do it for us .

The only thing Al Gore is famous for is inventing the internet plus supposidely being an ultra  conserative eco type guy while all long having a 10 thousand dollar a month electric bill .Evidently he and Tipper must have disagreed .

Just Me

Al, to this old guy, and if you met him you couldn't help but like him, Al Gore represents everthing that is wrong with this country.

Hence his "AL Gore" chains.

He cracks me up every time I am there......

Larry

roadiestar

baloo75

I currently use a .325 RMC on my MS280, but several times I have pondered going to an RSC.  I stay on top of the sharpening and have never had a problem, but still am curious about how much faster a full chisel would be.  I only cut firewood but am really good about rolling logs to stay out of the dirt, or use my timberjack.  My question being, with a 20" bar if I get into something that takes up the entire bar will I have problems with power.  As long as I don't stand on the saw it does well now, but with the aggression of the full chisel I don't know...

Ward Barnes

Howdy Folks:

On my MS 390 w/18 inch bar I went from the Stihl green chain to the Stihl yellow chain (33 RSC) the price went from $17.00 for the green to $28.00 for the yellow.  Unless someone gives me a greenie and it is all I have available I'll never go back.  The yellow is worth the price difference.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

Ohio_Bill

I like  Sharp Chain  , and don't care for dull . :D
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

John Mc

Quote from: baloo75 on February 07, 2012, 07:43:03 PM
still am curious about how much faster a full chisel would be...  My question being, with a 20" bar if I get into something that takes up the entire bar will I have problems with power.  As long as I don't stand on the saw it does well now, but with the aggression of the full chisel I don't know...

A chisel chain is more efficient at cutting than a semi-chisel or "micro-chisel" chain. With both types properly sharpened, the RSC will take less power to do the same job. Basically, it cuts faster because it's more efficient, not because it's "more aggressive".
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

lumberjack48

If you use a full chisel and know how to keep it sharp, you'll never go back to a semi-chisel.  When your cutting 18"+ wood, don't bury your whole bar, work your saw up and over and down at no time using the whole length of the bar at once, this keeps RPM up and chain speed which means your cutting again as fast. I used a 16" bar, more chain speed, more power, quicker to sharpen, it was my choice. If i ran in to a lot of 30"+ wood I'd put my 20" bar on.

I personally thing a full chisel is easier and quicker to sharpen then a semi-chisel
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!