iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watching a good dog get old. Sad update, she's gone.

Started by gspren, December 22, 2015, 09:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

I just came in from tending to Ginger, my Lab/Mix buddy. Ginger turned 14 in July and has been with me since 5 weeks old. Rather than just tell about her when she's gone I want to share her now, this may ramble so I apologize in advance. Ginger's mother was a Lab/Mix stray that showed up at the wife's uncles farm and had several litters during her long life and Ginger is one of 9 from her last litter. The mother didn't have enough milk and since I had goats in milk, at week 5 I brought her home and finished her on goat milk. As chief of farm security Ginger kept the ground hog population under control and announced vehicles coming up the driveway when they were 1,000 ft away. She was and still is a great traveling companion and has traveled in our RVs to 43 states. She has an outside pen attached to 2 buildings, one heated and one not, she spends most of her time in the heated "man cave" not wanting in the house for more than an hour or two. For many years when I opened the door to the man cave she would be standing at the door waiting, now I often go in and she's sleeping and after watching to see if her chest is moving I'll change her water, fix her food and leave without her waking. It's getting harder to get her to eat and sometimes she stumbles but other days she looks OK. She is totally deaf so while I can turn her loose at home when we are anywhere else she stays on the leash. I know someday I may have a hard decision to make but it's not here yet so that's the story of Ginger.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

drobertson

It's always tough, enjoy while you can, sounds like you are,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

samandothers

Thanks for sharing Ginger's story to date.  Pets are family members that tend to leave too soon, but sure do leave wonderful memories!

Magicman

We have had the pleasure of meeting Ginger and welcoming her both here at home and at the Cabin.  Ginger has you well trained Gary.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

GS,

We are in the same boat with a 15+ y/o shepherd in the front yard. Every day I check and expect to see her gone. She has no teeth, near deaf, cataracts and must have had a stroke last year as can't keep her head straight. It is hard for her to get up and around but she still plays with her log end and thin boards which have been her favorite toys for years. We lost one younger than her last year who stayed inside, had been overseas with us and it tore us up. It is so hard to let them go but part of life I guess. I feel for you. Enjoy Ginger as long as you can.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Raider Bill

Losing our 4 legged friends sucks. Sorry.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

sandhills

Yes it really does, but you can't stop time I guess.  Hoping for the best for Ginger.

sawguy21

We had to let two toy poodles go in October, it was really tough but there was no longer any quality of life for either of them. My wife got Lulu at eight weeks, that little dog was her constant companion for over thirteen years and stole my heart too. She went blind last spring and got quite cranky, spent all her time sleeping. Gigi was deaf, going blind, and showed signs of advanced diabetes.
I fully understand it is hard to make the decision but there comes a time when we have to put our feelings aside and do what is best for the animal to end the suffering. All the best.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Chuck White

Your story about Ginger is very Heart-Felt, Gary.

Nice to hear you're keeping her as comfortable as possible.

Thanks for posting!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

r.man

Hey Gary, your post was not too long, it's always a pleasure to hear about a good friend.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Dan_Shade

Our dogs get very close to us.   

"The misery of keeping a dog is his dying so soon.
But, to be sure, if he lived for fifty years and then died,
what would become of me?"
~ Sir Walter Scott
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

thecfarm

I had a dog that would hunt for woodchucks and if they was in the stone wall he would bark at them until I got there to tear the wall apart so he could get to them. Cancer got him way too young at around 11. Man I miss that dog. He would go up into the woods with me. I use to tell the grandkids do not follow Dew,he knows the woods better them me.
Keep the posts coming.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gspren

Since Gingers mother belonged to the wife's aunt/uncle we knew where most of her litter mates went and all that we know of are long gone, I credit her longevity to the fresh raw goats milk she had as a pup. Even though I can tell she is totally deaf I still talk to her when we are walking or just sitting in our man cave, she will sit with you as long as you will keep petting or scratching her head or back. When young her muzzle was nearly black, as was mine, now I tell people that we went grey around the muzzle together. At her age and condition she could go anytime or still be here in July to turn 15, I just hope that she is happy till the end. Thanks all for the comments and please share your similar experiences.

kensfarm

See if he has a bad tooth or calcium buildup can make the gums sore.  Usually if they are eating.. they're good to go.  This little girl(rat terrier) was adopted..  but I think she adopted me. 

Greyhound

I'm with you man.  We foster/adopt/provide hospice for older dogs.  We've lost 9 in the last 7 years.  Here's our Smokey.  He's at least 15 years old.  Slowing down a lot recently, but still happy and generally healthy.  It's going to be especially hard when he leaves us.

Jhenderson

The sad thing is they don't live long, but they still die old.

WmFritz

I'm glad you shared Gingers story, Gary.

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

pine

Thank you for Ginger's story.  I like that you started telling us about her now, while she is still around. 

dgdrls

"Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time. Dogs also don't know—or at least don't accept—the concept of death. With no concept of beginnings or endings dogs probably don't know that for people having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness."

Stanley Coren

to be so fortunate as to be able to live with a dog!

I envy you.

Dan

low_48

That's my Ginger in my avatar. Best dog I ever had, best dog I ever met. She could understand enough english, I could almost carry on a conversation with her. At 12 she got to the point I had to lift her hind end off the floor so she could get up. Her spine x-ray showed many fusions, and even a couple of breaks where the fusions had cracked. I can't imagine how much pain she was in. She never complained. She started having bowel control trouble since she would strain too hard to get up on her own. I asked the vet to come out to the van to release her from the pain. He preps her leg for the shot, and Ginger licks his hand. Just like she knew the relief was coming. Tearing up just typing, and it's been 2 years. Keep your Ginger close as her time nears!

Chuck White

Quote from: low_48 on December 24, 2015, 12:27:20 AM
That's my Ginger in my avatar. Best dog I ever had, best dog I ever met. She could understand enough english, I could almost carry on a conversation with her. At 12 she got to the point I had to lift her hind end off the floor so she could get up. Her spine x-ray showed many fusions, and even a couple of breaks where the fusions had cracked. I can't imagine how much pain she was in. She never complained. She started having bowel control trouble since she would strain too hard to get up on her own. I asked the vet to come out to the van to release her from the pain. He preps her leg for the shot, and Ginger licks his hand. Just like she knew the relief was coming. Tearing up just typing, and it's been 2 years. Keep your Ginger close as her time nears!

Reading those few words will cause tearing too, thanks for posting.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kbeitz

I got a lab that not far behind yours.
He not moveing so fast anymore.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sandhills

I don't have the picture but my sister and bil "adopted" a stray yellow lab, the picture was my (at the time) young niece laying on her in their yard.  Anyone who knows dogs knows they can smile and hers was a mile wide in that picture.  Funny story about her was that he was a deputy and picked her up along the road, knew she belonged to someone, placed adds and never got any feedback so they took her in to be spayed, it'd already been done  :D, I won't let him live that one down!  She was one of the sweetest dogs I've ever known.   We're still missing our mastiff Miley and hoped during harvest that someone would have found some remains so at least we knew but no one found anything  :'(.

petefrom bearswamp

You have had a wonderful companion.
My last guy, a Deutch drathaar had to be put down at 9 yrs old after a second scrap with a porcupine that ended with quills way down his throat.
He has been gone for 11 yrs now.
Still think of him often.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

plowboyswr

Had a stray come wandering into my life and I spent two weeks trying to get him to move on. Finally I gave up, gave in and spent the next ten years with him. Lost him to cardiac arrest on a cold snowy day in January five years ago. Only dog I knew that would try to sing to ya.

that would be my chigger.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Kbeitz

Quote from: sandhills on December 24, 2015, 11:13:46 AM
I don't have the picture but my sister and bil "adopted" a stray yellow lab, the picture was my (at the time) young niece laying on her in their yard.  Anyone who knows dogs knows they can smile and hers was a mile wide in that picture.  Funny story about her was that he was a deputy and picked her up along the road, knew she belonged to someone, placed adds and never got any feedback so they took her in to be spayed, it'd already been done  :D, I won't let him live that one down!  She was one of the sweetest dogs I've ever known.   We're still missing our mastiff Miley and hoped during harvest that someone would have found some remains so at least we knew but no one found anything  :'(.

My little one loves to smile...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

Lost ours this morning. Nearly 16 years old. Glad her ordeal is over but hard to see her go.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

They are hard to see go. I can still hear my wife say,No more pain Big Boy.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gspren

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 25, 2015, 01:13:57 PM
   Lost ours this morning. Nearly 16 years old. Glad her ordeal is over but hard to see her go.

Sorry for your loss, only another dog lover understands how close you can get.

gspren

Ginger is extra slow today and not eating, not even interested in treats. I wish I could tell if she has pain but I don't see it, just a sad, no pep kind of look that breaks my heart.

Ljohnsaw

Sorry to hear Ginger is not doing well.  Have you tried giving her an aspirin a day?  Perhaps arthritis is keeping her down and that may help.

I've had a lot of good dogs (7 in the last 30 years) and a couple of them were great dogs - smart, could understand a lot of words and loyal.  How quickly 11 or 12 years pass.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

reswire

Years ago, my grandfather had a beagle named Benchy (due to his short legs).  He loved that dog, and I remember a New Years night when he called me all upset, and asked me to come over and shoot Benchy to put him out of his misery.  Reluctantly, I drove over, and asked him what was wrong.  He explained that poor Benchy was running all over the place, falling down, shaking his head violently, and throwing up.  All New Years day he was at death's door, just laying down, and couldn't move.  He was sure the old dog wasn't going to make it, and had to be in severe pain.  It really hurt me to do the task, and I asked my Grandpa for some of his eggnog (he always spiked it with some shine), to steady my nerves before going out.  He said he was sorry, he had given the last of it to Benchy the day before, thinking the egg would be good for the old dog.... I bust out in laughter, and told him the dog wasn't sick, probably just DRUNK!!  He thought about for a minute, and we both had a good laugh.  I thank God for a tender heart, and the love of Grandpa's eggnog. :D :D :new_year:
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

gspren

Ginger is still with us and she don't like this snow storm, we went out early when it was about 14" deep and she went about 6' in my foot prints but it was too much so she went back, a little bit ago I took the snow blower and cleared a path through the now 20+" out to the shed and she did walk the length of the path and back but clearly don't like it. I remember during blizzards 5-10 years ago how she could/would leap through the snow and disappear before the next leap. Tomorrow when this is over I'll clear several paths through the yard so she can get out better.

low_48

Glad she is still with us. Our Ginger used to make "Doggie Snow Angels" when she was young. She'd flop over on her back, and just wiggle and wiggle. She loved the snow, except when it packed between her foot pads. She'd drop in an instant on our daily walk when the wet snow packed in.

lowpolyjoe

Sorry to hear Ginger's got you worried.  All we can do is enjoy our time with them.  I've got quite a few pets and I think about losing them all the time - several are getting up in years and slowing down.  Extra hugs and belly rubs so they know they're loved.

WmFritz

Quote from: lowpolyjoe on January 24, 2016, 05:18:45 PM
Extra hugs and belly rubs so they know they're loved.

Ha... I was rubbing my 6 month old pups belly as I was catching up on Ginger.  :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

sandsawmill14

my sister lost her little dog yesterday it was a little long haired chihuahua that was 13 yrs old she was older than 2 of her kids so she was taking it pretty hard :( i did not know those little dogs lived  that long :)   at least the kids werent home when i had to go do the job :-\
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

gspren

Bad day so far for Ginger, she was extra slow to get up but she did and went out and headed down the path I cleared to the barn and either fell or just laid down and I had to carry her back to my man-cave shed where she stays, I put her on the rug in front of a cast iron radiator to warm up.

Magicman

I read this to Pat.  Our hearts are with you as you care for your friend.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

colin.p

I am quickly getting to that stage myself. My old beagle, Bloo (the one in my avatar) just turned 10. About 3 years ago, she seemed like she was suffering from hip dysplasia and found it very hard to walk. The winter was the hardest, as she struggled from the snow and ice and many times we had to carry her outside and then back in.

I honestly thought we would have to put her down. However, my wife found similar experiences on the internet and found that home made dog food seemed to fix, or at least, alleviate the symptoms. So she and my daughter started to make Bloo's dog food and the dog perked right up. Now, granted, Bloo was overweight (common beagle trait, as beagles will eat until they explode) but with the weight loss and the dog patties she is much better. Her hips aren't totally better, but she can run, jump, and go upstairs to roll around on my pillow (usually because I forget to shut the bedroom door).

If we run out of Bloo's food and we substitute dry food, she will start to stiffen up. Beagles will live for 14 years on average, so we have enjoyed the extension she has been given and hopefully for another 4 years at the very least.
Colin
Jotul F3CB, ICC Excel chimney and ULTRABlack double wall stove pipe
Poulan 4218, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Fiskars X27, ISOCORE #8

gspren

At 14 1/2 Ginger has already lived longer than any other dog I have ever had and well past average for a Lab. On Monday I really thought the time was here to make that difficult decision but then Tuesday she showed some improvement, today she started out walking sort of OK, she always starts out with a little staggering, but after about 5 minutes walking around the path and driveway she just stopped and stood still with her head hanging, I tried to get her to walk back but it was like she's lost without me actually leading her. Taking each day as it comes and if she appears to be in pain or suffering I'll take her to the Vet.

Magicman

Our Hearts are with you both my Friend.

51cub

I feel kind of silly that I only just found this today. I'll say too, that my heart is with you both. I'm a -- single guy my pets are my kids--so I have a few tears in my eyes now, too. It is good to know I'm in good company from the sounds of all of you
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

gspren

Today I had to make that hard decision and get Ginger put to sleep. I'm going to miss her.

WV Sawmiller

Sorry for your loss. No easy way to see one go.
Howard Green

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

We are so sorry Gary, but we also know that you followed your heart.  It was our joy to meet Ginger those several times.

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

Chuck White

pine

So sorry to hear of your loss.  Remember her and she will always be with you.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

thecfarm

Oh my. That is some sad news.
I have my Dew,Boo-Boo,buried right in front of the house. He would sit there and watch over his domain on the the side hill. I took a rock off one of the stone walls that he found a wood chunk in and used that for a marker. I still go out and talk to him.

sandhills

Very sorry to hear that, I know you did the best you could and also know how hard that last decision is, my condolences to you.

r.man

Sorry to hear about Ginger, good friends are hard to come by.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

69bronco

So sorry for the loss of your friend, I know how your feeling. I keep saying never again, but I've got a lapful of dog while I type.

CHARLIE

I'm sorry for your loss. It is hard to lose a pet that is part of the family even when you know their passing is inevitable. 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

dgdrls

Buckshot00

Sorry to hear of your loss.  I had to put my Brittany down one year ago at the age of 14. I want another dog but then I don't.

Martha White Nelson

Martha

lowpolyjoe

low_48

So sorry for your loss. Her pain and suffering are over, and her spirit lives on. Sounds like she had a good long life, something we all should experience.

sean oleary

So sorry for your loss.As much as it hurts now,soon you will be doing something and a funny memory of something Ginger did will pop into your head and a big smile will grace your face. Ginger will live in your heart till your last day.

Thank You Sponsors!