iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

homelite super xl

Started by redpowerd, February 16, 2004, 03:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redpowerd

ne1 know where i can get a bunch of information on this saw or other homelites?
i have lots of parts saws and would like to put an automatic oiler on it.
like to know what size it is also.
thanks, jon.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Kevin

redpowerd

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

oldsaw-addict

I just checked the archives, the super xl has an auto oiler on it so maybe yours is just not working. I know real encouraging right? well anyway good luck playing with it.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

etat

I've got one that's still running.  Parts are hard to find.  Doesn't turn as many rpms, as the newer saws, but take care of em and they'll last forever.  I always liked pumping the oil, guess I'm just old fashioned. I THINK, but am not sure I've still got the papers that come with it.  If you want I'll try to look them up and send you a copy, if I can find em. If I remember correctly it was supposed to automatic oil, but still had a pump on it, anyway I always used the pump. 
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

redpowerd

i also have a super ez automatic and an xl 102, they all run ::)
wondering on sizes and compatibility.
they loveeee to start!
thanks alot
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Engineer

I have an old Homelite Super XL (what they called the Farm Saw? anyway it's BLUE) and it's a tank.  Chain speed really isn't all that fast, gets yer hands buzzin' after a couple hours, no safety features.  It does have an auto oiler on it though.  My dad bought it new in '67, we keep it around as a backup saw for the Stihls in case all three saws somehow die at once.  We can still find some odd parts for it 'cause the local small engine shop gets 'em in all the time, he takes junk saws as a freebie tradein (might get $10 or $20 off if it runs).

redpowerd

what aboot my ez and  102?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

oldsaw-addict

for information on your saws, I would check out this site,  www.acresinternet.com   then click on the chain saws link and  there will be a list of brands on the second page I believe you will find Homelite listed, cliock on it and have fun!
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Kevin

super ez = 41cc

The xl 102    I have no knowledge of but it was one of what they refer to as the 100 series saws .

redpowerd

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Blue9R

The Super EZ is a real powerhouse for a 40 cc chainsaw.  It runs the 3/8, .050 Oregon series 72 chain on a 16" bar.  Most 40 cc saws nowdays run the .325 pitch low profile with a much smaller tooth,such as the 91 series.

In good condition, the compression can be over 150 psi.  This is why a compression release is a standard feature on the saw.  Also, gotta love the on-off toggle switch as it snaps into position vs the combo on-off-choke switches used nowdays.

For a good indication of the date of manufacture, unscrew the 2 rear handle halves & view the casting date code.  If the number in the center is 6 to 9, it is 76 thru 79. Zero thru 4 is 80 to 84.  If you see multiple date codes, the latest is the actual date of casting as the earlier dates simply were not ground off.

Very popular & a good seller for Homelite during the late 70's & early 80's.

Mike

redpowerd

yep, nice little ripper, cuts like my 029, but lighter+louder
just found out its 40ccs, couldnt believe that, either!
i didnt know automatic meant auto oiler, mus be she ain
workin

lookin for parts for my xl102 and 12.
need a spark plug ref for the 12 and a cover for the 102.

by the way. hown do ya tightn the chain on the 102?
thanks
jon

f
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

oldsaw

I've got a Super XL that is manual oil, but there is a different version that is Super XL-AO with auto oiler.  Didn't even know that existed until I found some closeout chains at a hardware store.  

Super XL is a ballsy little saw.  Have cut some pretty tough cuts, and you really have to get into it before it bogs down.  Also have a 150 which is auto oil.  That was the saw I learned on.  Unfortunately, Dad split the case open and the gas tank leaks now.  Didn't realize the motor comes out the side.  Haven't been able to fix it, so it is my "back-up" saw.  Need to invest in a new one though, getting back into the whole chainsaw milling idea.

I paid $20 for the XL, and saved the 150 and a Wards (Remington) from the dump on a trip home.  Unfortunately, the Wards uses 7/16" chain which is made of pure unobtanium.  I'm busy trolling for a used Stihl.
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

isawlogs

If it's like the others  .... You loossen the two bar nuts and tighten the screw  that is on the front of the saw just beside the bar
 Explaining things aint easy for me but I can see it real clear in my mind ......
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

redpowerd

theres no screw and no evidence of one
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Duane_Moore

redpower.  try this     Bill Walcott.  700. N. 12th   Marysville. KS.  66508.   px# 785-562-3539.  tell him Duane from Marysville Ca. sent ya.    Duh---Duane. he is a Homelite Dealer for many years, has lots of books and parts.
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

redpowerd

sweet. i new this would happen :)
ill be expanding my chainsaw allowance soon ::)
100 bucks a month.
think if i find a source of free logs ill be better off with electric heat :o
more time and cheaper :o
thanks duh-wayne
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

redpowerd

Oh,
this saw just stopped pumpin oil, even manualy
SUCKS
just modded the muffler, was outcuttin a good 028, had to quit cause the chain was dry and i felt no resistance on the manual oil pump.  
im tearin her down after chores so any thoughts would help.

oh, ive allways pumped her, just found out auto ment auto oil
hopin to find some o rings or something wrong.
thanks!
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Hawkin50

Yo r edpowerd.That xl io2 homelite has a 57cc engine ran at about 6000 rpm.If you ever can find a super xl 76 or 130 red and black in colour same saw re worked with a few improvements,that suck runs at 11 to 12 thousands no load and saws at 9000.After around 20 years that saw will still run the a$$ off most anything in th under 60 cc class.All magnesum body ,No plastic and it weight 12 pounds less bar and chain.Back in the mid 70s and early 80s that saw sold for $239.00 with a 20" bar.3.55 cubic inch engine.Bring on your shils and huskys boys they havent come that far in the last 20 years. Later hawkin.

redpowerd

thanks for the info!
hawkin, welcome neighbor! (neighbour, for you)
hop yerself onto the member map. :)
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Thank You Sponsors!