iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homelite Super Xl

Started by JackedUpDuramax, March 31, 2015, 09:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackedUpDuramax

Hi. this is my first post on here. I am posting to see who all uses a Homelite Super XL, what people think of the saw, and how good they are. I recently traded a Stihl 028 AV Super Wood Boss. It needed a lot of work done to it. Do ya'll think it was a good trade?
Homelite Super XL, Poland Wild Thing, Craftsman 18" 40cc.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

What vintage is your super XL?

Been a good number of years since running one, IIRC.   But remember it as a good saw before Homelite went south with their quality.

Good trade?  If one works and the other doesn't, hope you traded for the one that works.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JackedUpDuramax

sawguy21

Good saw in it's day but long in the tooth, slow and LOUD Those old timers are fun to play with but it certainly wouldn't be my daily work saw. I have a blue (pre 1970) XL-12 that I plan to resurrect but will step up to something more modern when I need firewood.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

JohnG28

If they were both fine condition runners, I'd say you got the short end of that deal, but given the conditions??  Super XL is a cool old saw but I have one strictly for nostalgia, doesn't earn it's keep in any way. Welcome to the forum.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

bluthum

I learned to saw with an XL-12 back in the '60's. Later I had a super xl. I ran it with only one piston replacement until the crank wore so much it wouldn't open the points. They are slow, loud and really vibrate your hands. But they were not finicky, almost always started well and ran consistently with little maintenance.

old guy

Quote from: JackedUpDuramax on March 31, 2015, 09:21:09 PM
Hi. this is my first post on here. I am posting to see who all uses a Homelite Super XL, what people think of the saw, and how good they are. I recently traded a Stihl 028 AV Super Wood Boss. It needed a lot of work done to it. Do ya'll think it was a good trade?
What were you thinking! :-\

JackedUpDuramax

the 028 needed an exhaust, carb work, had very little compression, and it needed a sprocket.

old guy

Quote from: JackedUpDuramax on April 02, 2015, 04:10:18 PM
the 028 needed an exhaust, carb work, had very little compression, and it needed a sprocket.

That works for me. :laugh:

JohnG28

In the future you should ask here before, not after!  :D Probably could have got that 028 back up and running without too much ado. Hopefully this one will get the job done for you but going to be some work.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Spike60

The Homelite Super XL was one of the most dependable saws ever made, so I gotta disagree with some of the negative comments guys are making. If your saw is in good running condition, it's far better than the worn out 028 that you obviously didn't want to dump money into. So, I'd say you made a smart trade: a saw that didn't run for one that'll get your wood cut. The "negatives"?

The one I do agree with is that it doesn't have any anti-vibe mounts. So, you will want a good set of gloves when running it. Not something you'll want to run all day long, but as good a firewood saw as there ever was.

Loud? The early straight port "mufflers" were very loud, but most of them had a muffler that's really no louder than most saws.

Slow? No way. May not turn the RPM's of newer saws, but it has gobs of torque and will move through the wood as fast as an 028. The super XL's were 58cc saws.

Cut safe and welcome to the site!
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum JackedUpDuramax.

I have scars on my arm to remind me what a "no chain brake" XL12 will do when the tip grabs something.

I would say "be careful" but I was being careful.  You can not react fast enough.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gspren

Magic, since you tend to show pictures of your injured body parts I hope you never SIT on a hornet nest!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

lumberjack48

I bought my first XL-12 in 1964.  At that time i was cutting swamp Spruce with a C-9 Homelite. When i got the XL-12 it was like a toy, but it upped my stick count by 25%. Then later on i got the Super XL Auto, red & white, and then a green and red one came out, it had a little more power or rpm then the red & white one. At the time this was about the best to own, there a bullet prof ole saw. I ran-em strip cutting at -20 to -40 with no issues, or at 90 above. Threw the 60's i owned , C-5, C-7, C-9, XL-12, Super XL'S, 101, 104, 700, 800, 850, and a 10-10 MuCulloch, Lombard Lighting II, 08-S Stihl, 07 Stihl  and a Stihl Contra Lighting, yes i used them all logging at one time or the other. I have a good running XL-12, and a XL-Super that needs a fuel line.
I think you made a good trade. Now no mater what you buy you'll always have a back up saw that will run.
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/a17d735d551f0f1e88256b78005f6a7b

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/47f8f0b8e0bc41ef88256c260048d87a?OpenDocument
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

BobLawrason

Quote from: old guy on April 01, 2015, 08:15:48 PM
Quote from: JackedUpDuramax on March 31, 2015, 09:21:09 PM
What were you thinking! :-\
I bought a Homelite Super XL 925 with an 18" bar and chipper chain when I first started logging for Union Fork and Hoe Frankort, NY in 1983. Dependable and cut fast, drop and top 22-23 trees an hour. At $1.00/log it was good money back then. Never slowed down cutting any wood including 4' rock maple. That was when I was in my prime. Heavy saw but would use one today cutting horizontal logs. 2.5 cords/hour back when. 

Mad Professor

Quote from: Magicman on April 05, 2015, 08:15:13 PM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum JackedUpDuramax.

I have scars on my arm to remind me what a "no chain brake" XL12 will do when the tip grabs something.

I would say "be careful" but I was being careful.  You can not react fast enough.

The super XL was :
More powerful than a 028S, I have both.  The reed valve XL could run a 24" bar w/3/8 if needed, the super bogs a 16" 0.325
Reliable as the sun.
NEVER put rubber parts into mine.  It still runs but never had corn fuel in it, that is a 1970 red superXL.  Never been in the motor, cut cord wood for 15+ years.  Then I got a 038M for free.  That saw will stomp the homie.  If I pull out the homie today w/fresh gas it will run like a champ.
Stihl: 028S Weight is about same as the homie.
As I am getting older, the 028S has anti-vibe, and a kickback device.
I don't see much difference in the air filtration, or ability to oil the bar.
If you are running the homie get a good pair of gloves to deal with the vibrations.

HolmenTree

I had a couple of 77cc Super XL 925 and XL922  many years ago. Was a good design in the 1960-70's.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!