iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

diesel engine?

Started by getoverit, November 24, 2005, 10:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getoverit

I see they have some 10HP electric start engines on EBAY for sale now (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ELECTRIC-START-DIESEL-10HP-10-HP-HEAVY-DUTY-ENGINE_W0QQitemZ4367731663QQcategoryZ29520QQcmdZViewItem), and I'm wondering about putting one of these on a peterson swingmill.

I've read in other forums about torque VS horespower and the sutch, but would a 10 horse diesel engine be equivelent or better to a 13 horse gas engine?
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Tom

There's been talk of that before.  You best get the word from Peterson because the concern has always been weight.     :)

Captain

What is the max RPM??  In the current drive pulley configuration, most gas engines on Petersons run 3500-3700RPM for the right rim speed.

Captain

D._Frederick

The price of $700 is not too bad, the weight may not be that big of a problem, but parts, where are you going to get them?

getoverit

According to the hype on the ebay site, these are identical to the yanmar engines, so parts should be available almost anywhere. Their 13hp gas engines look identical to the honda engines, but half the cost...

THIS IS A MONSTER WITH 10 'DIESEL' HP, WHICH FEELS MORE LIKE 13-15 GASOLINE ENGINE HP, AND TORQUE THAT RIVALS AND SURPASSES THE GX390, ETC. These are direct replacements for the yanmar products

According to the hype, it is equal to or better than the 13hp honda GX390, but It doesnt say at what HP it is rated at...
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Tom

They may be comparable engines and it may be sales talk.

You have to watch that "replacement" type jargon.

Briggs makes an engine that will replace a honda.  Kohlar makes an engine that will replace a Briggs.  They probably even state so in their paraphanalia.

You need to get to someone who knows the engine besides the salesman.

If it really is a Yanmar engine, its got a good reputation.  Yanmar does make engines for other countries that make their way into the USA as Gray Market engines or tractors.  These are many times "off spec" or have a function that is 'foreign'(pun intended) to the USA market.

You have to really be careful with that unlabeled stuff.  Especially when it's coming in from a 3rd world or developing country.    :)

Ed_K

I have a 6 hp yanmar diesel, sitting in the shed. I can't pick it up without a forklift. It vibrates real bad at wide open, as its only a single cylinder. Stake it to the ground to run a pump, and its great on fuel. But I wouldn't put it on my EZ Baker mill.
Ed K

Warren

My WM LT15 has a factory 10 hp diesel engine (Yanmar, I think).  Good torque. Very reliable. I've cut up to 1100 bf in a day on a single 1 gal tank of fuel.  In a year, all I've done is change the oil, clean the air filter, and fill the tank.  Personally, I have not noticed a vibration issue with the factory set up.  I do not have experience with a swinger.  But this engine has been very good on my manual band mill.

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Wife

Hi guys and gals, its Husband here.
Just to help you out we have actually tried one like you are looking at, hows that for good luck aye. 8)
Anyhow, the motor did go alright, it has alot more vibration than I actually liked hence we didnt go with it. The weight was alright, it wasn't all that heavy really and I would say that the performance is equivalent to a 13-15hp 4 stroke motor. It was very cheap to run, diesel is half the price of petrol here in NZ.
I would go as far to say that it would be alright to use as long as you could sort out some really good mounts to take up the vibration.
We can supply you with a clutch that will fit on the back as well if needed.
You will find that the RPM is the same as the 4 stroke motors, so as long as you use the same size pulleys on the motor the rim speed etc should be fine.
I hope this helps you with your choice of what to do.
BTW, Jake was trying this motor out with the micro kerf one weekend and cutting Maccrocapa (soft wood) managed to cut 3000bft in a day. I was impressed to say the least :o, but that young man goes hard all day, unlike me...theres always tommorow ;)
Husband.
P.S. I know Furby...use your own DanG name :-\
Kerris, in the background....
Petersons Global Sales Ltd
15c Hyland Cres
Rotorua, New Zealand
www.petersonsawmills.com
kbrowne@petersonsawmills.com
Ph +64 7 3480863

Furby

:D :D :D :D :D
Honestly?
I've come to think of you as "wife", so maybe it would be easier if the two of you just switched after all. ;D :D

ScottAR

Tom, don't look now, but we've got a JD tractor that's a yanmar in disguse...
JD and Yanmar have been in cahoots since '79 or so...  The little 50series, 70series, the engines for the 4000 series and the 90 series...  All for the US market... 

They also make engines for Gehl,  Branson tractors, and make a dandy brand of excavators recently introduced to the USA. 

Just FYI... 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Wife

Na, you dont want that...she looks better than me in a skirt. :D
Kerris, in the background....
Petersons Global Sales Ltd
15c Hyland Cres
Rotorua, New Zealand
www.petersonsawmills.com
kbrowne@petersonsawmills.com
Ph +64 7 3480863

Furby

Not touching that one! ;D

D._Frederick

This is not a Yanmar engine, don't bank on Yanmar parts working with this engine!

Dangerous_Dan

Avoid the China made junk!
I'm currently fixing a China made tractor for some one.
What a Junk. The engine is a copy of a Nissan. All parts on the engine are interchangeable with the real "nissan" engine. (So they say)
The rest of the tractor is a copy of an older american made tractor (from what I'm told), in my opinion a very bad copy. The quality of parts like gaskets,  o-rings and seals are very bad. The quality of the tractor itself is much worse than the engine. Most of the gaskets on the transmission and rear end were leaking. The bolts were loose and when you tighten them up the gasket squeezes out. Parts ordered from the "Kama" dealer where the tractor was purchased did not fit.
The tractor I'm fixing is a Kama with 50 HP, 4WD, 3 point w/pto and a front loader purchased on ebay.  Tractor has only 38 hours.

I have fixed the bullsht problems but the main problem is it keeps jumping out of 4WD.  :o
So next is to split it and see what the problem is. I'll get to that in a few weeks when my Unimog plow truck is out of my shop.
BTW- Most China made stuff is a copy and the design is stolen from the people who originally designed it and built it.  >:(
First you make it work, then you trick it out!

twistedtree

Quote from: getoverit on November 25, 2005, 04:18:00 PM
According to the hype on the ebay site, these are identical to the yanmar engines, so parts should be available almost anywhere. Their 13hp gas engines look identical to the honda engines, but half the cost...

If it was a Yanmar, they would say so.  "identical to the Yanmar engines" is sales-speak that translates into "this is not a Yanmar, but we wish it were because it would be easier to sell".

Thank You Sponsors!