iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WILD BOARS

Started by SAW MILLER, September 20, 2005, 08:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SAW MILLER

Are there any other wild hog hunters out there?I killed three behind my place,all Russians and I have 3 in a pen puttin on the lard. ;D
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

ellmoe

Back  years ago I'd rather hunt hogs than go out with a pretty gal! Yeah, I know, dumb kid! I had several dogs for trailing and running and a couple of pit bulls for catching. We used to sell the hogs to a man that took them up north to sell to fenced "hunting preserves'. It was great fun at the time. Not so much now! smiley_mellow
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

SAW MILLER

Thats how they got started around here,rootin out of the local "game preserves".I figure at 600 bucks a pop,I got 1800bucks worth free!!               The sows eat pretty good and they are a challenge to sneak up on.

SwampDonkey

One summer a bunch of'em got out of the pen from a farm over in Maine. They came across the line and was eating on our potatoes and grain in the fields. Needless to say, after feeding them all summer a couple came up missing.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

After a lot of work, the piney-woods hogs were finally all trapped out of the swamp here years ago. 

A couple of years ago, an itenerate in the trailer park, who prides himself in having a yard full of catch dogs and is known to trespass, began bragging about turning some more loose.  His excuse was "All the hogs are gone now, used to be a bunch".   I hit the ceiling and described what they do to a new pine plantation.  Now, as most itenerants who own nothing, he's gone and he's left us with the pigs to deal with.  My neighbor is beginng to see rootings on the back of his property this year.  I guess we'll have to have a big hunt and a Bar-b-Cue.  :-\

Blake22

We still have some around here but most of them are part domestic. Every now & then you see one that can eat out of coke bottle.  When I owned a few hounds it was alot of fun to run a hog, you can believe this or don't but I've seen a hog run over 6 hours. That'll make your dogs walk like a girl with her 1st pair of high heels. When they get up to walk across the pen their bones will be poppin like a .95 cent suitcase. ;D
Blake

woodbowl

The farmers around here are pretty upset about the hog situation. A neighbor has turned 30 head loose on the other fellows property so they can hunt them the next year. The result is rooted up peanuts in the field as well as knocked down cotton. When they found out who it was, he told them he only turned them out on his property, which is right close to theirs. You would think that a hog would have better sense than to trespass on someone elses property!

Quote from: ellmoe on September 20, 2005, 09:02:25 PM
Back years ago I'd rather hunt hogs than go out with a pretty gal! Yeah, I know, dumb kid!
Ellmoe, the old timers around here say it will be that way again shortly, it's just a matter of time.  ;D ;D
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

eldorado

I don't "hunt" hogs, but I shoot quite a few that are eating my beans every year. 

Larry

Hog hunting thread with no pictures???

Nephew with his first hog...look at that smile. :)  40 miles NE of College Station Texas.  Think nephew, B-I-L, and myself got 7 or 8 that day.  Four in a trap and shot another 3 or 4...all about the same size.  Best eating ya ever got in too.

Hogs are an "exotic" and really complete with deer for the same food source.  They are quite capable of doing a lot of damage to the woods as Tom menitioned.  While back few Texan's got caught trapping hogs and selling them to Okie and Arkie landowners to hunt.  Result was big fines and jail time for couple of em.

Texas Ranger might have few hog huntin tales...some around 1,000 pounds have been killed out towards west Texas.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ellmoe

Woodbowl,
       I'll take your word on it! ;D

Quote from: ellmoe on September 20, 2005, 09:02:25 PM
Back years ago I'd rather hunt hogs than go out with a pretty gal! Yeah, I know, dumb kid!

Ellmoe, the old timers around here say it will be that way again shortly, it's just a matter of time.   
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

SAW MILLER

.   The last two sundays,there has been a biggun at the waller back on the ridge.There's mud smeared a good 3 foot on the trees but he only comes through about once a week.I don't want any part of an ol boar to eat but the sows make outstanding sausage .Larry,do you run hogs with hounds?

Larry

Quote from: SAW MILLER on October 03, 2005, 06:25:03 PM
Larry,do you run hogs with hounds?

Never thought of running hogs with hounds...sounds like it would be fun. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Tom

It's done quite commonly here.  But, it sure is agood way to lose a  hound.

Pit  Bulls are used for Catch Dogs too.  They don't have much of  life expectancy.   You need to make sure you are up on your flesh sewing skills if you send a dog after a hog. :)

SAW MILLER

I have shot two that my yard dogs bayed right close to the house and since then I got ahold of a hog hunting magazine called "Bayed Solid"and found out it is a popular sport across the south.I'd sure like to hook up with some good ol boys and give it a try.

Blake22

Come see me the middle of November. I know some real hawg hunters that'll let you tag along. You might have to eat some raw oysters & drink some old crow but that's just part of it. At the end of the day they divide up all the meat with whoever hunted that day.

Ole Tom's right about gettin your dog killed. I've had 1 cut real bad before but those real hawg hunters can sew like my grandmamma could. They fixed my dog up & she was ready to hunt again in a couple days. After that she quit running those hawgs that carry a switchblade. ;)
Blake

SAW MILLER

Blake,thanks for the invite.Onlyest thing is,I don't like oysters and I am allergic to old crow (I'm a reformed alcoholic).The rest of it sounds like right up my alley!! :) :)

Texas Ranger

Hogs?  You mean Texas hamsters?

We have had a number of leases for hunting over the years, all have had hogs on them, all have been contaminated by an adjacent land owner with no common sense.

Several years ago a pardner and i were walking fire lines on our lease.  He was carrying a .30-.30 and I had a .22 pistol.  Not serious hunting, he wanted to shoot his rifle and get used to it.  As we walked down a fire lane, a large black hog turned onto it and started towards us, about 20 yards.  I rolled over to the side and yelled "Shoot that SOB (Sorry Old Boar)".  He shot, the hog spun, and he fired again, and the hog ran off the trail into a hardwood flat. 

We walked up to the first shot site, found blood, bone and hair.  Same at the second site.  I walked off into the woods and saw the hog backed up against a small oak.  Told my pardner to put a bead on him, and moved around to the side and behind the hog.  Place a shot into the back of its head and it did not move, dead.

Pardner moved up and we decided to clean it in place and take quarters with us, it appeard to be a big sow.  We could not drag or lift it, no hand holds on hogs and this was a good one.  So, we rolled it over on its back and I slid a knive in between the front legs and worked my way back.  Smooth belly, milk machines and all.  Got between the hind legs and it's "manhood" rolled out, along with the boar hog stink.  Told pardner he could have all the boar hog he wanted, i wanted none of it.  There is no way a boar is eatable.  So, he took the head (tushes out to yonder) and we headed back to camp.  Told him I would carry his rifle, opened the chamber and found a spent hull.  He had been protecting my backside with an empty rifle!

I had a long talk with him back to the camp.

Two weeks later, I was back in the same area and decided to see how the remains were holding up, coyotes and all (love to shoot over bait).  And found the hog, estimated at 400 pounds, had been moved some 100 yards.  Later that year we saw out little black bear in the same area

My pardner quit hunting the day he saw the bear.  Between bears and hogs he decided that there was a good chance there was stuff out there that were tougher than him.  Guess he was right.

On our current lease, a neighbor turned loose a bunch of hogs, but was trapping and cutting the boars.  Had lots of good eating coming out of the creek bottom.  But, he got hurt, retired, and quit trapping.  Two years ago we trapped or shot over 70 hogs, we now have the number down to an almost manageable level.

A sow can have pigs every 3 or 4 months, 8 or more pigs at a time.  Doesn' t take long to build that population up again. 

Domestic hogs turned out de-evolve to an old breed.  They turn black, grow tushes, snout elongates, and shortly, you have piney woods rooters.  About three generations worth for de-evolution.

they are by far the most dangerous critter in the woods, next to man.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

My Granddaddy, Judge Flem C. Dame, the greatest man I ever knew, told me not to ever run a boar.  His instructions for killing piney-woods rooters was sneak up on them and shoot them while they are asleep.  If they so much as take two steps in fright 'r fight, the meat is so permeated with hormones that you can't eat it.

My Uncle, Pete Peterson, loves to hunt.   He shot a boar over dogs one time and brought it home.   They noticed an odor but knew it was fresh so my Aunt put some of it in a pot on the stove to cook for supper.  The odor got so strong that she was run out of the kitchen.  She made Uncle Pete take the pot out of the house.  He had to bury the meat to get rid of the smell.  The pot still smelled even after my "Aunt Sister" (I'll tell you about that name one day) washed it several times.   She made Uncle Pete bury it out back too.  I'll bet that pot is still out there in the woods.

Fla._Deadheader

Bunch-a-sissies  :o :o ::) ::)

Good ol boys in Florida, chase the hogs with a pickup, and then jump outta the back of the pickup and hand-wrassle them hogs into submission. YUP, takes a little sewin sometimes, but, that's the good ol boy way  ;D ;D ;) ;) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

florida

South Florida is overrun with wild hogs so we hunt them and trap them for sale, or cut them.  4 or 5 years ago we had a huge crop of palmetto berries so the hogs were eating real good which  led to lots of little hogs so we started trapping them. One Saturday morning we had 27 hogs in 3 traps.  Over the next month we trapped a total of 67 ranging from 10 pounds up through 150.  We always left any boars for last so we could castrate them and turn them lose for later hunting. Takes about 3 months after cutting but then they lose the boar hog smell and taste.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Texas Ranger

Dead header, got some ol' boys here that hunt javelina with bouie knives, slip up on em and stick em.

Not all the crazy folks are in Washington, DC..
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Fla._Deadheader

smiley_dizzy smiley_dizzy smiley_mad_crazy
   First, it is ridiculed;

DragonsBane

So how to you trap a boar. We had a bunch get loose from a pay to hunt place near my place.  Been hunting them with a rifle, but i can't shoot enuff off them to do any real damage to the population thats here now. These are the Russian variety nad they are tougher than a piece iron to kill. I shot one three times with my 300 Weatherby and still had to use my .44 Mag to shoot it when it charged me.  The hogs are really beating the deer herds out around here. The sows really are good eatin'. I gotten 8 so far this year and would really like to get alot more. Any help you boys from down south could give me would be greatly appreciated.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object envinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

De Opresso Liber.

Fla._Deadheader

I've seen heavy wire cages set out, with corn for bait. Sometimes, there's several hogs in the trap at one time. The Boars are harder to trap, because the smaller hogs get inside the trap first ??
   First, it is ridiculed;

GareyD

Quote from: DragonsBane on November 05, 2005, 11:11:40 PM
So how to you trap a boar. We had a bunch get loose from a pay to hunt place near my place. Been hunting them with a rifle, but i can't shoot enuff off them to do any real damage to the population thats here now. These are the Russian variety nad they are tougher than a piece iron to kill. I shot one three times with my 300 Weatherby and still had to use my .44 Mag to shoot it when it charged me. The hogs are really beating the deer herds out around here. The sows really are good eatin'. I gotten 8 so far this year and would really like to get alot more. Any help you boys from down south could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Below is a site with a couple of trap plans and catchin'/baitin' instructions...I prefer the square trap with the swing door...this is the way we did it when I farmed in South Georgia

http://www.hogtrapping.com/traps/about-hog-trapping.html

We had six traps and would catch and move about a dozen younger pigs to to a pen behind the barn...give them all the yeller corn they could eat for a couple of weeks (to get rid of some of the wild, swampy, muddy taste!!) and then butcher them all at one time...most went in the freezer, but, always put 2-3 on the big smoker on the trailer and invited all the neighbors for a "Southern Style Piggy Roast" ;D ;D complete with brought pot luck dishes, "Shine", homebrew, pickin' and grinnin'....a wonderful way to spend a weekend 8) 8)
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

Buzz-sawyer

Garey

I already wanted to be your neighbor when I saw your lake.now the pigs a roastin?!?!? :D :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

farmerdoug

We have a small but growing population just a few miles west of me here in Michigan.  It seems that a group bought 80 acres 10-15 years ago and fenced it in.  They then let go 30 wild hogs for their own hunting.  They left them to their own means for 3-4 years.  When they came up to hunt, they discoveried that a large tree had fallen on the fence sometime during the 3-4 years and all of the hogs were gone.  ::) They told noone but a few years ago people started to see them.  The idiots are protecting as they see a new big game animal to hunt.   >:(The DNR wants them all killed.  They are about eight miles away as the crow flies as near as I can figure.  But I probably will see them soon.  I raise sweet corn and vegetables so they are really not welcome.  I will shoot them with a vengance. ;)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

GareyD

Buzz...come on down, we'll always make sum room fer ya ;D
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

Robert R

I went camping/hunting/horseback riding a couple years back.  Called the USFS ranger to confirm creeks were passable before driving all the way across Missouri.  He asked us to shoot any we saw on site even if we didn't want them.  Just shoot and let them lay was better than not shooting them.  We were near Potosi.  Didn't see any but saw lots of evidence.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Fla._Deadheader

Got some Prime land close by, that the Goobermint "owns".??  It's getting overrun with Hogs. Can't Bowhunt 'em, cause the Horsey people went in and make riding trails, FOR A CONCESSION, and they are afraid Bowhunters would shoot the horses ???

Right now, all along I-95, you can see hogs during the day, occasionally, and the grass is all being rooted up. Ever see ACRES of grass rooted up??

Wait till they start getting run over and causing people to die.  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

pigman

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on November 13, 2005, 07:32:18 AM

the grass is all being rooted up. Ever see ACRES of grass rooted up??

They say Mr. Deere invented the steel plow, but the first plow was a hog snout. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Fla._Deadheader

I know one thing, you got a bad green briar patch and want it gone, fence it and put in a few snouts. Briars don't stand a chance.  ;D ;) :) :)
   First, it is ridiculed;

pigman

Put some hogs in a small area and they will kill everything but jimson weed.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Robert R

Those snouts can be put to good use.  I never till my garden--I use the heavy mulching method.  Every 3 or 4 years, I like it stirred up to start over.  I run a hot wire around the perimeter and put 4 to 6 feeders in for the fall.  After they are gone, I either rake it all back out flat or if there is time, I put the chickens in there and scatter grain on the high spots and let them rake it back out flat.  Put down a few inches of horse fertilzer and cover with either leaves or straw or moldy hay and she's ready to plant.  If they happen to make a low spot that gets compacted, a nice couple gallons of ashes from the stove will fix that too.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Thank You Sponsors!