iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

weird axe

Started by redpowerd, May 06, 2004, 09:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redpowerd

saw in the hardware store the other day a splittin axe with extra mechanics.
the head had two spring loaded double tipped fingers on each side of the edge laying oppisite
seems when the axe enters the bolt, the fingers spread to spread the wood quicker.
it was very sturdily built, allmost bought it for 17 bucks, just to see how it worked.
figgerd if the springs or fingers broke, id still have a splitter.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

redpowerd

hmmmmm

sumone musta seen this thing or used it :)
no?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Frickman

redpowered,

A friend asked me to try one of those out twenty years ago. A man who owed him money give it to him. I think about $20.00. He got shortchanged, as that was the most contemptable piece of garbage I've ever split wood with. On paper it might work, but not in real life. You had to hit harder with it than a conventional splitting maul. I was splitting fresh cut sassafras and it plum wore me out. It was a shame I had to give it back to him, it would have looked good flying over the bank down into the gulley. If you want a splitting axe, find a good old conventional splitting maul made of good steel with a nice handle, and a couple of steel wedges. Even with a gas powered splitter available I still get out the old maul once in a while.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Danny_S

My boss has one of them, black with a fibreglass handle. It seemed to work good for me, I was splitting frozen maple and birch. It didnt seem to be anything much different than a regular splitting maul though. The theory behind it makes you think it works better  ;)
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Frickman

Yep Kevin, that's the one.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Danny_S

Whenever I split wood with a maul, I always found that if you tip it sideways a little, maybe 5°, just before striking, it splits better. Probalby all in my head.
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

DanG

I don't know about you guys, but it seems to me that a regular ol' choppin' ax splits wood about as good as anything. ??? ::) :P
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

redpowerd

uh, yea, my first thought was the energy wasted against the smooth face of the wedge. your working against yourself. not only do you need to crack the bolt, but seperate it.

just wondering on expereinces :)
thanks

might work on a logsplitter ???
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Tom

One of the best tools I ever found for splittin' wood was a high school kid that wants to take  his girl to the movie tonight. :)

Mark M

I used to have one of those things and liked it. I don't know if it was that much better than a maul but I don't think it got stuck as often. We used it on ash and birch which already split pretty easy. I don't think you would go wrong for 20 bucks.

hiya

Danny,
I use that tilt action too. I think it helps.
Richard
RichardinMd.

Thank You Sponsors!