iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Didn't re-invent the wheel, but made some mods to my LT-10

Started by francismilker, March 21, 2013, 09:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

francismilker

Here's a few pics of the crank up/down mechanism I put on my mill today.  There's a few small bugs to work out, but overall I'm very pleased with it's operation. 

I made a box broke out of 11 gauge steel and used existing holes for ruler mounting on the round post (drive wheel side) to secure it as well as drilling two holes in the tab that holds the head clamp.

Next, I turned down some round tubing to fit the ID of the top of this round post and built a cantilever to hold and eyebolt and spring for my upward raise.

Then, using an existing hole in the bottom of the 2" square tubing, (part of the push bar) I inserted another bolt for my downward pull. 

Last but not least, I mounted a boat winch with a modified spool.  (I cut a round metal disk to essentially split the spool in half so I could double wind the spool.)  By doing this, I can crank in one direction and take cable in while letting cable out for the opposite movement.  The spring mounted to the top eyebolt helps me keep the small amound of slack in the cable out when I switch directions in the direction of the crank.  Also, the eyebolts are adjustable for taking up slack.

By the way, no matter how many times I go into my gallery and do the "crop and rotate, preview, and save" function my pics are still posting upside down and sideways.  As I've mentioned before, me and this pc don't get along.  Sometimes I think they are of the devil >:(

"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hamish

Did you purposely rub the paint off the masts the sawhead rides on?

Did you remove your non-lift assist cylinders after adding the winch?
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

francismilker

Quote from: hamish on March 21, 2013, 10:03:51 PM
Did you purposely rub the paint off the masts the sawhead rides on?

Did you remove your non-lift assist cylinders after adding the winch?

hamish, yes; regretfully I rubbed the paint off while seeking a reason my head was hard to raise.  I wish now I wouldn't have went through the elbow grease as it didn't help a bit.  The reason my teflon bushings were rubbing my paint was do to the head not being level/square.  After leveling and squaring everything back up to factory settings, the head was no longer binding.  I was just too lazy to lift it lower it because it was too heavy for me to do it comfortably so I added this to it.

I left the air assist completely intact.  It cranks up and down smoothly and I think the cylinders cushion the ride!

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

thecfarm

I have a hand crank on my Thomas,that's how they do it. Mine is 14 clicks to the inch. I give my a turn or two everytime when I get to the end.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

clww

Nice work. Necessity-The Mother of Invention (I think that's how it goes).
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

justallan1

With all this talk lately about this model mill and it being difficult to raise and lower the head I was just wondering how are you supposed to raise and lower the head?
BTW, Great job on putting the winch on.
Allan

Ianab

Quote from: justallan1 on March 21, 2013, 10:38:15 PM
With all this talk lately about this model mill and it being difficult to raise and lower the head I was just wondering how are you supposed to raise and lower the head?

I haven't seen one close up, but from the video it's supposed to be supported by the air cylinders, so it should be easy enough to move by hand. But there seems to be some issues with some of the new mills and they aren't so well balanced.

Hence falling back to the old school method of using a hand winch to lift the head.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

francismilker

A big "thank you" goes out to whoever it was that rotated the pics for me!!! 8)

I actually left my air assist lift and my mast clamping device fully intact.  I think it's an ingenious (sp?) idea the way two cylinders are used.  The head is actually raised and lowered by the cylinders and is floating.  The winch is just a hand extension for me that keeps me from having to get into proper lifting position and raise/lower the head from the push bar location instead of up close.  Mine is geared pretty high so doesn't take too many turns to move full height. 

Therefore, my hand crank is not engaged for forward or reverse.  It's clicked in to the midpoint where it doesn't click or lock.Once I smoothly crank it to the position I want it, I lock the head with the factory provided lever and I'm good to go.

justallan1

scully

I love how some of you guys come up with these genious ways to inprove your mills !  I should say entry leval /light duty /hobby etc. some of the things I have seen done here are just brilliant ! It takes the machine to a whole nuther leval ! And that can only be way good !
I bleed orange  .

millwright

Nice job, it looks like you have solved your problem. The way your winch is mounted is similar to the electric winch I had talked about in an earlier post.

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

duke

Great modifications, all you guy's do great things, now all I need is a mill and some land,LOL. Then I know were to get all the advise that I need. 8) 8) 8) ;D :) :)
duke

francismilker

Quote from: clww on March 21, 2013, 10:28:40 PM
Nice work. Necessity-The Mother of Invention (I think that's how it goes).

You're correct!  That's how most of my gadgets get started.  For the most part, I run them back and forth through my head while I'm working at something else and have the details kinda/sorta worked out before I start.

Thank You Sponsors!