iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

nother tractor question

Started by LeeB, April 30, 2011, 12:53:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

I have a Ford 851 that has a hung up clutch. Ran fine a couple of weeks back when the neighbor kid used to bush hog the pasture. Never had any trouble with the clutch before. I thought it might need adjustment but that didn't help. Any way to get at the clutch without splitting the tractor?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sandhills

I'm not very familiar with Fords, but every clutch I've ever worked on required splitting.  By "hung up" do you mean the clutch won't release?  Had an IH that did that and it was due to the pilot bearing going out and pieces of it getting caught in the clutch, I would think there should be a plate under the bell housing you can remove and look up into the clutch, can't always see the problem though  :-\.

Banjo picker

I have a Ford 2600 that I thought was going to have to be broke down to fix, but a young fella out of Vo ag class ...took it down a blacktop road and broke it loose some how...I dont rember what he did , but do know he said it had to be on a road that would not let the wheels spin on  (loose gravel or dirt)....If you don't get an answer I'll call a buddy of mine that was with him and see if he rembers exactly what he did to it..This was probably 25 years ago and I just don't rember ....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

LeeB

Yes, the clutch won't release.
I can well understand why you can't remeber after  25 years Tim. I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WH_Conley

Get it in a higher gear, rev the engine, shove in the clutch and stomp the brake. I have a Ford 7000 that does that every once in awhile.
Bill

Raider Bill

Put it up against a big tree and let er run. I did that once it worked but was a long time sitting so I suspected rust was the issue.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Banjo picker

Quote from: WH_Conley on April 30, 2011, 08:52:52 AM
Get it in a higher gear, rev the engine, shove in the clutch and stomp the brake. I have a Ford 7000 that does that every once in awhile.

Thats what I wanted to say he done to mine...and as Raider Bill said it had been setting for a while ....we had trailered it to a shop and I was expeciting to get nailed for a pretty good bill....but there was a young guy that had just got out of vo ag that knew the trick...I would make sure both brakes were locked when I tried it....it is dangerous...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

Quote from: LeeB on April 30, 2011, 12:53:25 AM
Ran fine a couple of weeks back when the neighbor kid used to bush hog the pasture. 
That may not have contributed to the problem, but I hate the thought of loaning equipment out.

It's not something simple like a limb or something hung up in the linkage?  Nah, simple stuff happens to other people.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

LeeB, yesterday for lunch you had grits ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

No one eats grits for lunch.  Only breakfast and supper.  Yeah !!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

All good suggestions.  I've also broke them loose just by blocking the clutch pedal in and leaving it for a few days.  I had a Ford 4000 that if it sat for over a month the clutch would freeze every time.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Autocar

Sounds like your clutch disk has rusted to the fly wheel. Put it in gear and hold the cluch pedal down while you do this when she gets pulling hard she will spin free. Just be sure you have the cluch pedal ingaged.
Bill

Brad_bb

Rusted together in such a short period?  Hmmm.  Yes you'd have to split the tractor.  I do believe a replacement clutch is available.  I also recommend the tractor forums at ytmag.com  It's where I've gone when I needed discussion on my '55 960 that I fully restored.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

WH_Conley

Nope. Don't need to split it. A little shock will break it loose. If it sat for years probably wouldn't come loose. I believe those are semi metallic clutches, the metal is what sticks. It doesn't take a lot to break them loose. I just use my big tractor for the heavy work. It is not uncommon to have to break it loose 2 to3 times a year.
Bill

Taylortractornut

Two things can come to mind  1 a warped or disentigrating clutch disk.     I have a warped one  in my old 3550 TLB some times it wont release after alolt of pushing and loading.   I wonder if the  kid road or slipped the clutch any.     The second is  theres condensation inside the  bellhousing and  its letting the the clutch rust to  flywheel and not letting it release.   You can clutch it and    ride the brakes and  run it up the  road in road gear.   I used to run an  older D8  with an air operated  clutch.   It was a later model clearing tractor.     When the  clutch froze usually after a rain     I would start it in gear with a push and  hold the clutch lever and   rake a while till it let go.       I have talcum powdered them to help dry it up.     On smalled dozers   the steering clutches will do the same and are a  pita to break loose.    
My overload permit starts after sunset

davey duck

those ford tractors have a pto that engages when the clutch is released if they were bush hogging they might have got it in a bind and slipped the clutch an welded it together.or the throw out bearing is burned out.
David G.Fleming

ARKANSAWYER

With all the rain we have had I would just try to get it to slip.  One way is to put the tractor in gear and pull it with a truck.  Being on a good hard road helps.  The clutch needs to be held in while this is happening.  If the pilot bearing is froze it is hard to get the tractor apart.  It is to wet right now any way so you do not need a tractor.  You need a boat.
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!